Engine Heater Switch.....purpose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tennsmith

Still uncovering and discovering controls/features  in the new-to-me Horizon 36LD.  At the top of a panel behind a door to the right of the washer/dryer location, is a switch labeled "Engine Heater."  What is the purpose of this switch?  Below is a similar switch labeled "Water Heater" and below that, a pair of switches associated with winterizing.  I assume the water heater switch controls 110v power to the water heater and that the bypass and winterize switches have to do with the heater bypass and circulation of antifreeze in the plumbing system.  Please let me know if I am wrong on these assumptions as well.

Thanks!

You Engine heater switch controls the engine block heater for starting in cold weather. 

Your correct on your other assumptions. 

When we bought our coach, we also had the Auto Winterize system, but the last owner gutted it because of a valve problem.  When I got it I removed all the components, and installed manual bypasses, etc.  I priced out replacing the components and it was simply just not cost effective.  From what I am told the auto winterize system is known for it's failures...

John

Thanks John, I'll try out the winterize system one day soon and keep your post in mind in case it doesn't work.  I thought perhaps that the engine heater switch was some control over a means to heat water in the hot water heater by circulating engine coolant through some heat exchanger, but consulting the plumbing diagram, I couldn't find any hint that there was any heat exchanger present.

On our Horizon, the switch you are referring to controls an electrical outlet in our electrical bay.  The engine block heater electric plug would normally live in this outlet. We have never used the block heater and hope to never need it!

John,

We've used our engine block heater on a couple of occasions.  One was when it was 14 degrees outside, the other just recently while in Yellowstone when it dipped below freezing.  Anytime it gets below freezing and we are leaving in the morning, I plug it in.  The engine turns over really easy when it's cold outside and the block heater is on. 

Our manufacturer does say to not drive with the block heater on, however.

Marsha~

Back when I was still a farm boy my dad bought a MF-65 Diesel tractor.. I added the block heater

Was kind of interesting, You would fire that sucker up in January and the engine temp would then proceed to go DOWN.. Sure started nice though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom