Engine oil type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catawba1

The water pump has been replaced took me awhile but its done thanks ,now while I was at it I changed out several items , when I filled the engine up with 10w30  my neighbor said that I was using the wrong oil and I should be using a 50w oil on the 460 engine , I see nothing wrong with 10w30 on the C class 460 30 ft motorhome. What do you guys think its an older engine 91 .

I have a 1990 Ford 460. The original manual says 5-30 up to 100 degree outside temp, and 10-30 above. Since my C is used mostly in warmer weather as most are, I have always used 10-30. 

10W30 is just fine in a healthy engine, especially this time of year if you live in a northern region. I doubt very much you would find a straight 50, 20W50 is popular in racing engines but is not suitable for your application unless the engine is bagged and you are trying to dump it.

Mine is a '94 with the Ford 460 and I use 10W30 which is recommended.  I  use Mobil1 Extended Performance full synthetic, rated for 15,000 miles or 1 year.  I only drive about 1500 miles/year anyway and would probably be fine on once/year changes with conventional oil, but I like the extra protection of synthetic.  I buy the Mobil1 at Advance Auto when they have oil change specials (a few times a year, just watch the sale ads) and usually get 5 quarts + M1 oil filter for around $30.  Can't beat it.

Some of the older engines need an oil with zinc.  I use straight 40-wt valvoline racing oil in my 75 international becase it has zinc and had a good performance history with others in my International vehicle club.  On my 2009 Dodge Ram Pickup and 2007 Honda Van, I use Mobil 1 5W-20 as that  weight is recommended for those vehicle in the manual.

Unlike most people I use whatever is on sale and change the oil regularly.  I have been driving for 31 years and never had a problem.  In my opinion synthetic is fine.  I have used it.  But, I also have a Dodge 3500 with 245000 miles on it and has never seen a drop of synthetic oil.  Just what ever is on sale, four times a year.  Or, as the seasons change.  I had a Datsun truck years ago that I used cheap Kmart oil in and drove it 180,000 miles and it was running perfect when I sold it.  Granted, I probably wouldnt use that low grade of an oil now.  But, I changed the oil religiously.  My theory has become that I wont outlive a vehicle engine that gets regular oil changes.  In my work we have a large fleet of vehicles.  We buy store brand oils from places like NAPA or Car Quest.  Our vehicles get driven super hard and in 25 years I have never seen a blown engine due to oil quality.  I have seen plenty from vehicles that got ignored and ran low (or out) on oil.  I saw one throw a rod because it was driven for 30 miles in second gear and it was garbage from the factory.  But, I have never seen a damaged engine that was regularly serviced and maintained, even with store brand oils.  So, I always use whatever is on sale and change it every three months or 3000 miles. 

most "store brands"  are made by one of the larger manufactures, so using store brands is fine as I see it,
older engines ( non roller lifter) will need extra zinc in the oil, as they tend to wear the cam and lifters sooner,
I have some older "classic cars" that I add GM EOS to, just for insurance, there are other additives with high zinc content,
this just happens to be the most readily available.
I have used store brands for over 25yrs, some of my vehicles have had over 200k miles, with no  issues.
so I agree, use what ever makes you happy.
(again, my 2 cents)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom