Engine temp monitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this a problem? Or a solution in search of a problem?

I drove a coach with the 8.1L for 5 years and never had to worry about "blowing it up". Including crossing the Rockies a couple times and a summer long tour of Alaska & western Canada.

Not sayin it would “blowup” Just thinking it’s another layer of protection, like who looks at their temperature gauge more than once or twice in maybe 30 minutes or more, if you have a failed coolant hose this would help and it’s under $50 just saying..🤷🏼‍♂️

31 minutes to demonstrate a fancy water temperature guage?
There are literally hundreds of sensors and guages out there to keep tabs on our water temp. I use my scan tool so that I can also monitor other parameters, mostly out of curiosity.

Yes, this is a solution in search of a problem.

I may be the odd one here, but I constantly glance at the gauges on my pickup. I also have the DIC set to display transmission temperature.
This is not a MH though.
Also, when I bought my truck, I wanted one with a full set of gauges, no idiot lights.

Both my car and my motorhome have water temperature gauges that I can see while driving.

Even better, they both have idiot alarms, just in case I missed the over-temp condition.

But, concerns about your equipment is admirable and I'm glad to see someone invented something to help salve that concern.

A ScanGauge is probably easier to install and will tell you this and lots more engine parameters.
I've had a Scangauge II in my F-150 for many years- got it to monitor transmission temperature when I was towing a trailer, but it's nice that you can watch four items at a time (with buttons to switch modes) including various temps and pressures, mileage both avg and instant, and other parameters. It just plugs into the OBD2 port -- they have a diesel version, too. Wonderful device!

Ridiculous. All modern computer controlled engines including the one in the video have sensors for all the things the person in the video mentions. The computer will not allow the engine to destroy itself. It will shut down the engine BEFORE anything happens.
I guess some people just like to have extra do-dads to mess with.

Ridiculous. All modern computer controlled engines including the one in the video have sensors for all the things the person in the video mentions. The computer will not allow the engine to destroy itself. It will shut down the engine BEFORE anything happens.
I guess some people just like to have extra do-dads to mess with.
What are you calling "modern?" There is not nearly the amount of computer control/sensing in a 2007 vehicle, or even in many/most 2015 vehicles as there is in one built in this decade (2020 on). There was absolutely nothing "ridiculous" about a scangauge in my pickup. And do your "modern" sensors include "saving" the transmission? Is it "ridiculous" to want to see the current and average fuel mileage? Is it "ridiculous" to want to monitor specific information on your vehicle, and to depend on fallible man-made parts to "save" your engine?

Perhaps you wish to let the vehicle take care of itself, which is fine for you, but don't expect everyone to think that way, especially because many have had experiences that belie your confidence in automation.

I have a Scan Gauge on-order for my 2023 Honda Pilot. I want to keep track of actual trans and coolant temps and when towing take to preemptive action before my engine blows up. Sure, modern engines will tell you "Transmission Temp Critic..." <kablooey!!!> but that really isn't helpful is it.

EDIT/ADD: Why do you think they put actual monitoring systems and gauges on aircraft? EGT, CHT, manifold press, fuel press, and the like? Could it be perhaps that knowing when something might be going wrong before it happens can save your life and the life of your passengers?
Plan1.jpg

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My 2006 GMC Acadia had all that sensing & warning capability. I had the misfortune to see it in action late one night!
OK, perhaps I should limit my remarks to my 2007 F-150. Sensors weren't exactly lacking, but not as extensive as more recent ones. Using the scandisk scangauge it was certainly possible to get a lot of info from the onboard computer, but I don't think the control was quite as extensive as recent units.

Nonetheless, even on this year's models I'd want the capability of checking various pieces of information that they don't build into your dashboard readouts, thus the scandisk scangauge. Of course without the computer and data bus scandisk scangauge doesn't work, since it simply plugs into the OBDII port and reads what's available, but they're doing more with the computer(s) these days, not all good (tracking, etc.).

Last edited:
OK, perhaps I should limit my remarks to my 2007 F-150. Sensors weren't exactly lacking, but not as extensive as more recent ones. Using the scandisk it was certainly possible to get a lot of info from the onboard computer, but I don't think the control was quite as extensive as recent units.

Nonetheless, even on this year's models I'd want the capability of checking various pieces of information that they don't build into your dashboard readouts, thus the scandisk. Of course without the computer and data bus scandisk doesn't work, since it simply plugs into the OBDII port and reads what's available, but they're doing more with the computer(s) these days, not all good (tracking, etc.).
Scan Gauge not scandisk. Although the 'scandisk' command is a valuable tool! :D

…who looks at their temperature gauge more than once or twice in maybe 30 minutes or more…
Say WHAT??

You should be scanning ALL your gauges ALL the time as part of a regular scan routine. This is coming from a retired commercial pilot, so I learned about building my instrument scanning skills many years ago. That habit has served me well when driving, too.

You cannot just zone out and stare at the highway disappearing under the coach.

Say WHAT??

You should be scanning ALL your gauges ALL the time as part of a regular scan routine. This is coming from a retired commercial pilot, so I learned about building my instrument scanning skills many years ago. That habit has served me well when driving, too.
Amen brother. Even us 172 jocks practice the six pack T-scan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom