engine won't start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jl3922

Hello, I just went to start and dewinterize my 2005 Monaco Diplomat, I charged batteries two days ago, and the dash lights and wait to start sign comes on along with the low air chimes, but turning the key to the starting position nothing happens. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you Jim

What engine and size?? Have you tried using the emergency start button (what ever it is called on a Monaco) to bridge the (fully charged!!) house batteries to the engine side?? (It is possible that the engine battery (ies) is/are no longer good enough despite the lights coming on.) That "wait to start" light usually indicates that you are heating the engine or intake and that may have sapped a poor battery below the point of being able to turn over the engine. Did that light end up going off before you attempted to turn the engine over??

I know this is not exactly the same... But... Most starters have a solenoid on them that completes the circuit. Like on my Dodge Ram's there is 2 copper contacts that are replaceable. Then some vehicles do have a starter solenoid fuse of fusible link check that. If its a automatic transmission you might have a safety switch failed try pulling the selector down through the gears while holding the key in start position if you bumps then its a safety switch.

A test light and second person would be handy.

WARNING: Make sure to block and chock your wheels before doing any testing while under the vehicle. I happen to help a strained Ford owner and for what ever reason the selector cable broke and was still in gear (hence why it didn't start) but I jump the starter and it starter creeping forward. So be very careful and make sure its cocked. 

I did use the battery boost but nothing, also the wait to start light did go out Jim

Do you have a battery cutoff switch in the rear engine compartment by any chance?? (Usually used by a tech to prevent someone accidentally trying to start the engine while he is around there working). Is it on?? Using a meter, any Voltage there?? If nothing 'clicked' and/or lights dimmed etc when attempting to start, I suspect a start relay/solenoid somewhere but on a DP, no idea where stuff might be located other than on the starter itself.

jl3922 said:
I did use the battery boost but nothing, also the wait to start light did go out Jim

There is power most likely if the dash lights are up but there is something stopping the starter circuit. Just for information value I know its not exactly the right one but you can see the principal of the starter circuit at least.

2002 Dodge Ram starter circuit.
http://i39.tinypic.com/69orc8.jpg

Here is the starter contact on a ISB Cummins.
http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/124-starter-contact-replacement

Check your starter ground strap, a friend of ours has a diplomat, and had a problem after setting up his rig for the winter. When checked out, it was discovered that the ground point was not making good contact. Also check all your battery connections for sulfate build up. If that is your problem you can have lights at your dash, but none at the starter.

Lee

Ok I cleaned the battery teminals, Took the frame grounds off cleaned them good. I;m afraid too take off ground and positive cables because they are so  rusted I'm afraid of breaking off the studs. I put socked on them got them to move a little but stoped. Had my wife turn the key to start position and hear a clicking sound and a whining sound towards the front of the motor. whats my next move? Jim

Back
Top Bottom