Equalizing Hitch Making a Lot of Noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hudsong

I got directions here for setting up my Equalizing hitch. The trailer tows much better than it did, but the hitch is making a lot of noise when cornering. Is there an easy solution to this, or should I just not worrry about it. That brings up another question I have. Can you do the same thing as an equalizing hitch by installing air shocks or bags on the rear of truck.

Glenn     

While an adjustable suspension will help bring the truck level, it will not spread the trailer tongue weight to both the front and rear axles. You also loose the sway control without the Equalizer.

I would expect handling to be much better with an Equalizer hitch than with airbags.

The noise is normal.  It is a product of the friction that reduces the sway.  It garners concerned looks from non-RVers, but all is well.  DON'T oil them.

Glen, we used one for four years and loved everything about it except the noise. We contacted them and they recommended putting white lithium grease on the L brackets where the bars sit to prevent the noise. It worked great! Just a dot on the horizontal and vertical portions of the L bracket will do. U should only have to do it about every other hitch up time. It does not take away from the function, just elevates the noise. It didn't make the noise in cooler temptress, just when it was hot.
Take Care, Dar

Thanks All,

After properly setting up my equalizer hitch, I towed the trailer without the stabilizer bar and it did fine. 

Glenn

hudsong said:
I got directions here for setting up my Equalizing hitch. The trailer tows much better than it did, but the hitch is making a lot of noise when cornering. Is there an easy solution to this, or should I just not worrry about it.

Contact your hitch maker and ask them the question, or read your instruction brochure.  Lubricating a spring bar's contact surface can negate your sway control.  Not a great idea.  Any way, pedestrians have more to worry about than clanging trailer hitches.

That brings up another question I have. Can you do the same thing as an equalizing hitch by installing air shocks or bags on the rear of truck.

Not at all.  A weight distributing hitch restores the normal under-steer condition of a truck by transferring tonque weight to the front axle.  Air bags along do nothing for that and could allow a unstable over-steer condition to remain.

hudsong said:
After properly setting up my equalizer hitch, I towed the trailer without the stabilizer bar and it did fine. 

If you are talking about the hitch brand Equal-i-zer, you are correct, it does not need a friction sway bar.  It controls sway inherently with its design as do the Reese Dual Cam and Hensley Arrow.  If not, you simply got away with it this once.  Ordinary weight distributing hitch systems need sway control as a matter of safety.  Uncontrolled yaw/sway is no fun at all and is dangerous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom