Eternabond tape on new 5th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DearMissMermaid said:
Let's see... about 8x25 feet =200 square feet

I bought 50 foot by 6 inch  Eternabond from Amazon at about $85 per roll, so that is 25 square feet per roll, 8 rolls, so yeah, it adds up to about $680

Did I say I am completely dry? No leaks?  ;D

Far cheaper than a new roof. It looks great. It holds up fabulously. It cleans up white and nice. It appears to be thicker than the OEM  rubber roof, so yeah I am super happy.

I had no labor costs because I have a super friend and we work together on projects. I did do some bribery by cooking his favorite meals and traveling in the rig for fun.  :)

It took me about a year to get it done, I ordered one roll at a time. It was slow going due to other circumstances but one day it was completed!

We cleaned each roof section thoroughly first. Dried it up with microfiber rags, then sun baked it for a day. Then started laying the Eternabond strips. You get ONE chance to place it right. Instructions come with it how to fix boo-boos.

In a few areas where we needed to make custom cuts to lay down the tape, we first made templates with wax paper.

The first two pics are the roof in progress.

I had been given a quote of $6,000 to replace the roof. A repairman told me one day that I could just tape the entire roof and call it a done deal.  ;D

Ironically I was traveling with roof tape for emergencies when a tree branch stab crashed through my galley roof making a small hole. I was at a remote beach with 2 weeks to go on my reservation,  30 miles from a repair place and it was the weekend. I used the emergency tape to fix the hole. First I cleaned it all up, then since the hole was like a dimple, I used small pieces of tape to fill in the dimple, then some larger ones to flattened it out over the top. A few minutes later, the next storm rolled in while I was still pressing the tape into place.

It has remained dry ever since. That's what impressed me. Plus the aggressive glue on Eternabond is phenomenal.

Don't use any knockoffs, use the real thing, Eternabond.

The inside ceiling now had a hole to hide. I bought one of those plastic rectangle blank plates to hide an electric outlet and screwed that into the ceiling.  8)

I used to live on far flung islands where we were always coming up with strange methods to "get it done!" and move on.

Cool.  Looks great.  Thanks for sharing! 

It looks like you laid each layer of the eternabond "butted" up to the layer next to it.  Did you end up caulking in between the seams?  I was just thinking that the space where the two layers meet could leave a tiny opening for water to get in.  Obviously, whatever you did has worked great so job well done!!

Thanks for sharing the pics - they are worth a 1000 words!

I think if I were to do it, I would start from the back and go from side to side. Each course, I would overlap the previous one by about 1/8". This way the wind would blow over it and not have the tendency to lift it up.

KandT said:
Cool.  Looks great.  Thanks for sharing! 

It looks like you laid each layer of the eternabond "butted" up to the layer next to it.  Did you end up caulking in between the seams?  I was just thinking that the space where the two layers meet could leave a tiny opening for water to get in.  Obviously, whatever you did has worked great so job well done!!

Thanks for sharing the pics - they are worth a 1000 words!

Quite honestly part of roof was done overlapped and part of it butted up. There was a mis-communication on this. I wanted it all overlapped, but somewhere along the line... my friend started butting it up.

No leaks!

Well... let me think, YES, there was a leak around the hatch in the bath. My friend couldn't figure out where it was so I suggested he just retape that area. That worked!

We finished in February 2015. We started in August 2014.

What happened is that I was robbed by a so called roof repairman. We started taping over the worst sections when we decided to do the whole dang thing and get on with enjoying life!

Last spring I got a FantasticVent for my birthday. I wanted it over my bed which meant a new hole had to go in the roof.

The RV repair place gave me a quote without going up on the roof, since I could show him inside where the stringers in the roof were and where it would fit and how he could wire it to the nearby ceiling light.

When they started work, there was a collective groan when they saw the massive eternabond tape job on the roof. The RV repair shop owner came back out for a look, shrugged his shoulders and told his guys to get busy. No leaks from that either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spanjers
Back
Top Bottom