Even Brake Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVHealthy

We just picked up a 2004 Jeep Wrangler as a toad and installed the Blue Ox Baseplate. My husband wired the 6 wire plug to run along the frame to a 4 wire flat plug at the rear bumper so that he didn't have to mess with the Jeeps wiring for lights, he has a set of mag-mount lights he can plug in and attach the lights to the rear bumper. We also have the RoadMaster Even Brake from our last Toad, but don't have the little remote box that it plugs into. We are wondering if we can just place the Even Brake on the drivers floor, connect it to the brake pedal and plug it into the Aux Power Port and have it work as it should? We know we'd be losing the ability to monitor it from in the MH, but was wondering if it would even work properly if we don't have the remote transmitter thing installed. Thanks for any help or advice.

I don't know the answer to your question, but how would the unit know when to brake without the remote?

Assuming the "remote" is merely the transmitter to let the driver know what's going on, the Even Brake owners manual suggests it will work just fine. As you're already aware, the driver will not be alerted to braking action on the toad.

This is Sylvia's DH responding because she didn't know what to say... 

I have no idea if it gets a signal from the brake lights.  I installed a power plug that will get power directly from the RV and plan on installing a knife switch disconnect on the negative battery terminal so no power is drawn from the battery while towing.  Obviously, nothing else will have power either, so installing the 2nd vehicle kit would not work.  I just wonder if the Even Brake will operate normally without being plugged into the transmitter (i.e. just plugged into the power port).  It's my understanding the Even Brake works on inertia, so it should engage when you apply the brakes in the RV and slow down...

The idea of a second vehicle kit was simply to get you a new ICX transmitter box to replace the missing one. But you can order the ICX box as a replacement part from Roadmaster too - it is part #9420 according to the parts list. The instructions say that the dashboard monitor and the ICX have to be programmed as a unit to operate correctly, though, and you can do that yourself (instructions are provided, it says).

It appears from the manual that the brake will operate fine without the ICX, which appears to simply relay status to the monitor in the coach. However, the monitor function is a very good thing and I highly recommend getting a replacement ICX unit and installing it.

The Even Brake does not require a "signal" from the MH brake light to operate;

I have both the ICX transmitter and the receiving Monitor which you mount in your MH.  Both items are less than 1 year old and are still in their
original packages.  You do not mention if you have the Brakeway switch and related cable which connects to the ICX transmitter?  I do not have this cable.
You can purchase a 2nd vehicle kit from Roadmaster which includes the brakeway switch and the ICX transmitter and the required connecting cable for about $150 dollars.
I think that it would be very unwise not to be able to Monitor the operation of your Even Brake system.  So if you are interested in purchasing a brand new monitor, please contact me.  Of course if you are also interested in the ICX transmitter, that is also available. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom