ever been to saudi arabia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's funny. Did they offer an alternative? Boots or duct taped to the seat ?  Guess not.  ;D

Did wander around a bit, bought small items at one of the airport shops (back then did not have much $) mainly just wanted their 'change' for collection... which over the years grew into a large planters peanut can of coins!  When I retire, will put all them coins on a large wood board, memories of the travels over the years.... jeez, gotta be about 30 countries by now. :)

Thats funny JJ - I do the same thing. I have a can full of coins, and bills from all over the world. Speaking of change, the stores here seldom give change. When the grocery bill requires change, they give a few packs of gum instead. Down the road, One of my buddys tried to use that gum to pay for some small items. The cashier said, "We do not accept" Of course this is exactly what we expected, my friend just went to town on this guy (Just yanking his chain) it was halarious!
The whole store was crowded around us laughing at the show. He finally gave up some real money and shook the guys hand, while the crowd clapped.

I have a can full of coins, and bills from all over the world

Me too. But, one year when we visited the homeland, I was quite embarrassed at the first checkout to find that some bills had been replaced, and the ones I had were no longer legal currency  :-[

We have all kinds of coins too.

I can say the accomodations hubby stayed in in Qatar was outstanding.  He had so much furniture in his small area he had to have some taken out.  He had a living room, kitchenette, bathroom, bedroom, 2 TV's, internet service.  The place was clean and kept very nice. Before he went on site he stayed in a beautiful 2 bedroom large apartment.  The compound he lived in at the job had a huge swimming pool and he used to swim every night.  That job was called the Pearl Project, it was really nice.  Of course the filipinos didn't have the same accomodations and many only got to go home once a year or in some cases every 2 years, so a big disparity in treatment.  And yes they did drink on the compounds but I think it was likely better if you didn't. In Qatar they could even get Blue Bell ice cream, unbelieveable.

In Africa he had some good, some bad.  The place he is in now, is not much a 25 year old camp.  His company just bought this company not long ago and he said there accomodations are sure not like he had.

It's sounding like they may want him on a couple more projects there and he doesn't like the 10 week turn around as he had 8 before and it is really hard on us.  But I told him if he is going to retire in 2 more years anyway does it matter.    I told him we ought to just up and come over.  He said we could there are expats there but its 8 hours away to get to Balikpapan, the nearest major city.  Where he is he said most of the stores are more like little 7 11's with limited food and things to buy.  I can't see hauling food and everything else that far and go that far to shop.  He said there are a few expats there, mainly Australians with families.

And yes most places like Americans, but still you never know.  I don't think his friends in Nigeria have gotten out yet.

Tom said:
Me too. But, one year when we visited the homeland, I was quite embarrassed at the first checkout to find that some bills had been replaced, and the ones I had were no longer legal currency  :-[
When ever I mention the coin "project" to my wife.... she just rolls her eyes with the look of .... keep em' in the can...!  Until now, the only use they have had... was one time years ago, my son brought them to school, during a class on world history (or something) he whipped out the peanut can and they spread them on a huge table, guess it was quite a hit with the kids seeing all the different coins, some with holes punched in them, others with different metals inserted.  Think one of the most unique... is a paper bill from Djibouti... picture of a goat in a tree on the bill... there isn't much for stray goats and camels there to eat...

... it was quite a hit with the kids seeing all the different coins ...

I bet it was. I can still recall as a kid being excited when I was given a can of coins from different countries by an uncle who had been in the RAF during WWII.

Speaking of coin, 3 of us made a trip over to Bahrain day before yesterday to eat pig and drink cold hooch. A place called Ric's for breakfast. They have pork. But dog gone, their prices have gone crazy. 10BD for breakfast (1 Bahrain Dinar = 3 US dollars) Breakfast was 30 bucks! They just lost this pork eating feller. I think I'll stay on this side of the causeway and eat Turkey bacon. Bahrain won't get any more of my coin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjbodjb
Back
Top Bottom