Every been pulled over by the cops??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Molaker said:
The one and only time I have been pulled over was in my WGO ERA (Sprinter) in Arco, Id. On a Sunday evening. We were the only ones on the road as we made our way to Craters-of-the-Moon. We were heading west on Hwy 20 and wanted to take Hwy 26 somewhere within the big city of Arco. I had stopped for fuel as we entered town and had just pulled back out on the street and picked up speed. The one and only traffic light loomed ahead and I realized I needed to turn left to catch Hwy 26 but was in the far right lane. I quickly looked back, turned on my left signal, then swerved into the left lane and then just as quickly on into the left-turn lane. I was going roughly 25 MPH. The light was green so I made my turn. Almost immediately, the local cop (possibly the only one in the town) flicked on his lights and came tearing up behind me. I pulled over immediately then had to sit politely while this middle-aged cop in civilian clothes explained to me, who had probably driven more years than he was old, why what I had done was dangerous. Apparently just as dangerous with no other vehicles on the road as when the 4th of July parade was proceeding through town. Do you know how many people have been killed doing that in Arco? Well, I found out and it was either exaggerated or Arco is a really dangerous place. But, being polite got a warning only. Guess the guy was just bored.
Actually Arco is or was probably more exciting it's the closest town to INEL there's a bunch of sailors there who went to arco on the last day of a shift. 

We (DW actually) got stopped a year and an half ago.  Our coach is a classic and I have it on an historic (hysteric) registration with an authentic (for year of build) plate.  The officer explained to my wife that he could not read out license plate because of the plastic cover over it.  I went out with him and a screwdriver and told him that I would remove the cover if he insisted,  but that the plate was an authentic and it has cost me a lot of money and that was just the piece of metal.  If I had to change the registration, it would cost that again.  I did notice that the plastic had darkened with age, and now planned to replace it.  He allowed as how it wasn't that bad and advised that replacing the cover was probably a good idea.  We parted ways.

Matt 

glen54737 said:
Actually Arco is or was probably more exciting it's the closest town to INEL there's a bunch of sailors there who went to arco on the last day of a shift.
My son got his nuke training at INL (Idaho National Laboratory) as a MM in the Navy. He's now a procedure writer for a nuke power plant in Oswego, NY.

I have only been pulled over once, so far. It was last week. Took a shortcut to get to the hardware store where I refill my propane. There was a 7000 lbs Weight limit (my rig runs about 13k lbs) on the road I took, but I could not see the sign due to a tree branch laden with snow hiding it.

The officer let me off with a warning, but told me that next time, it would be a ticket.
He said a lot of RV'ers and trucks try to use that road, and he writes a lot of tickets.

Molaker said:
My son got his nuke training at INL (Idaho National Laboratory) as a MM in the Navy. He's now a procedure writer for a nuke power plant in Oswego, NY.
Yes me too except I was an EM.
The staff would go to arco sometimes.

Molaker said:
Oswego is about an hour drive from my house!

RVMommaTo6 said:
Oswego is about an hour drive from my house!
Actually, he lives just outside Altmar, between Almar and Orwell on county county 22 just across the road from "Lower Reservoir". Know where that is?

Not exactly pulled over - but.................................... - a couple years ago we stopped at a rest area on I-81 in VA. After being there several minutes with my dog on his leash a state trooper pulled in behind our rig and wanted to check out our dog (He's a Great Dane). He actually had me use his phone to take pics of him & the dog. My dog has this habit of making friends everywhere we go.

Molaker said:
Actually, he lives just outside Altmar, between Almar and Orwell on county county 22 just across the road from "Lower Reservoir". Know where that is?
I don't, I basically just know the pier and the college lol

This past summer we were driving our class A gasser heading North thru Kansas on a road so straight you could see for miles and miles. At some point I noticed a trooper behind us, but didn't give it much thought. Speed was about 10 below the limit. It was very windy and coming in from the west/northwest, so it hitting our drivers side. After about 20 minutes of following, he lit me up. I pulled over and exited the entry door and approached the cop. He said he pulled us over for a welfare check since we were weaving a lot. I laughed a little, then said we were fine. I then asked the trooper if he had ever driven a large 38 ft gasser in strong crosswords ? He said no, I haven't. Still chuckling a little, I offered to swap vehicles with him. He obviously declined, but we had a good laugh and shook hands and departed.

Its how i learnt to tow

1976 my dad got pulled over for speeding 10 minutes into Washington State, he was mad as hell. He looked at me and said son you wanna drive, me being 14 with a learners permit said sure, my dad said can you handke pulling a trailer? I said sure, he said its 24 ft long can you handle it? I said sure ( i was 14 i knew eveything lol)

So he let me drive - i pulled that trailer to San Diego and back learnt how to back up a trailer pull it through the big tree in the redwoods, drive in LA traffic

5000 miles in total and i was hooked -saw my first matching truck and 5er with custom paint and said one day i will have something like that and here we are 43years later still rving and lovin it

Been back to san diego 3 times since

I was on I5 southbound in Oregon,, when a motorhome pulling a boat went by me at least 15 MPH faster.. Almost immediately a cop had his lights and siren behind me,, I thought  "he must be after the guy with the boat,, and kept going.. Then a second cop joined him behind me all lit up on my drivers side,,,,,, must be me huh??..  There are no shoulders in Oregon and its difficult to find a place to pull over,, sooo,, after getting over and stopped,, the officer ran up and hollered that my towed car was on FIRE!!

Blasted out the door and ran to the car to find the left front tire WAS GONE!! and wires sticking out of it all over with a small fire going...

When Momma took the Liberty out of gear when hooking up,, she forgot to turn the key into steering release mode and so you now know "the rest of the story"...>>>Dan  ( That one cast me $360.00 for two new tires)

8)  In 2000 I got motioned into a rest area by state police on the NY/PA. line. I had a 1975 renovated GMC Class C.They were so impressed with the new paint job on the outside I was asked if they could look inside which was redone also. After giving me a thumbs up; I was told to go on my way! Maybe it was the Florida Tag!! LOL!

;D In 2011 traveling into Iowa to Workcamp; I had left my headlights on from coming out of a rainstorm. I had a headlight out on my 1988  Ford Class C MH. Came through a small town on a county road head toward I-80. I passed by a parked town Police car. Sure enough he pulled me over. Got a warning ticket to get it repaired; and led me out of town.........!  8)

Irover said:
I had a headlight out on my 1988  Ford Class C MH.

Not RV related but headlight related...

My youngest daughter got pulled over when she was 19. She was driving 3 of her friends back from the movies and it was about 1:00 in the morning. When the cop determined they were all sober, he told her the headlight was out. She was so nervous she replied "the one in the front?". Her friends burst out laughing as did the cop and he sent her on her way with orders to replace the light. 4 years later and we still tease her about that one!

Personally i've never been pulled over while towing but in my travels i've seen several RVs pulled over.  Especially in CA where they have the stupid 55 MPH law for Autos and Trucks towing.  Talk about a law that needs to be revisited and changed.
Other times I've seen people pulled over have been when they are towing doubles.  Most of those have been when pulling a bumper pull trailer and then towing quads behind the trailer. 

Yes in California a few years ago.Going down hill following a tractor trailer weaving all over so I stepped on it to get by him after passing I just let her roll...Well officer Diaz didn?t like it so he pulled me over.....waited for me to exit with hand on Gun? I kind of had to chuckle a little explaining to him as to why I may have exceeded the 55 mph speed limit truck weaving so on ....I was supposed to break right after passing......?but what put me over the top was when he ask if the car behind the MH was mine...I just started laughing and said that car has been following me ever since I left home.....well long story short he had no sense of humor...$190.00 later??

About  15  years  ago  we  were  driving  north  on  U.S. 95  approaching  the  town  of  Tonopah, NV.  There  was  about  2  inches  of  slushy  type  snow  on  the  road (late March) which  is  also  down hill  as  you  enter  the  town.  I  was  braking  the  rig  every  few  minutes  to  keep  the  speed  near  30 mph  but  it  would  increase and  I  would  then  brake.  Well  one  of  Tonapah.s  LEO  decided  to  pull  me  over  and  states  that  I  was  going  over  the  speed  limit.  I  said  to  him  that  if  he  had  been  following  me  he  would  have  seen  that  i  was  constantly  braking.  He  took  my  licence  and  insurance  papers  back  to  his  vehicle  and  about  15  min.  later  re-appeared  and  said  to  me  "you  are  not  going  to  speed  any  more today  are  you"  I  said  "no  officer"    and  that  was  it.  I  was  let  go  with  a  verbal  warning.

The strangest stop I ever had wasn't with our RV, but my then pickup on the way back from a tent camping trip. A NY State Trooper pulled me over, and I knew he had me cold at about 10 over the limit. He took my license, registration, and insurance cards and went back to his patrol car. A few minutes later he came back and handed me my papers, saying he was going to write me a ticket but his pen died. Not thinking, I automatically handed him a pen from my shirt pocket. He thanked me and headed back to his car. He got about half way and stopped. Then he turned around and came back, handing me back my pen. Laughing, he said it just wasn't right to write me up with my own pen, and I should have a nice day and please watch my speed. I told him to keep the pen, I had more... :)

Not long ago I was in a really small city heading to a local CG. I missed a sign and pulled across the intersection. There was some kind if a painted roundabout so I made a left turn over the roundy. I then traveled about a mile down a narrow two lane road before the city cop pulled me over. He was a slob. Hand on gun etc. He demanded all the usual document, while berating me for tearing through his backwater town. This went on longer than it should. Finally I told him he had not persued me and we were out of  town. I told him I wanted a county or state cop. My gosh that made him mad. He gave me all my document, stomped back to his car and peeled out. Needless to say I didn?t go back through that town after I left the CG.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom