exhaust manifold gasket hard to replace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I got it back. Sorry it took so long to respond. Wife start an overnight job so life had been crazy. RV is much quieter. Feels like more power. It certainly runs cooler. makes sense what you said about hard climbs then quick cool downs. We did that on our trip to Luray V.A.  just off  I-81. we did a 20 minute climb and the poor engine heated up. When we crested the top the gauges quickly dropped. Is there anything one can do different to keep it from heating up then cooling too fast?

farmer dan said:
Well I got it back. Sorry it took so long to respond. Wife start an overnight job so life had been crazy. RV is much quieter. Feels like more power. It certainly runs cooler. makes sense what you said about hard climbs then quick cool downs. We did that on our trip to Luray V.A.  just off  I-81. we did a 20 minute climb and the poor engine heated up. When we crested the top the gauges quickly dropped. Is there anything one can do different to keep it from heating up then cooling too fast?

I would try downshifting a gear on the downhill side. Keep the RPM's up for a bit.

downshifting just puts more cold air through the exhaust as you close the throttle plates, no fuel entering the engine therefore no fuel to burn thus no heat. I don't know any way to slow the cool down. This is an inherent problem with gas engines. Diesel engines do not run as high exhaust temp so normally they don't seem to have the problem as often.

I know this is a very old post but I just joined the forum. I thought I would reply in case anyone arrived here on a google search, as I did. I have browsed the RV forum community and everyone here is very helpful and informative.

On the topic of exhaust manifolds: I have an 85 Itasca Sunflyer 22RC (Class A) built on the Chevy p30 chassis with a 454 engine. I bought this RV very inexpensively because it needed some work, which included the exhaust manifolds. Both were cracked and only held on to the block by the bolts.

I paid a mechanic I trust to do the work, and it was $25.41 for one gasket set and $309.40 for the cost of each manifold. I am not sure what brand manifold he installed and I can't tell you the exact labor costs because he did it along with a bunch of other work. Hope those part price references help a little.

Back
Top Bottom