Experience with the 6.7 Power Stroke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbbowie

I'm in the market for a new tv and really like the features of the Ford dually diesel, but then I started looking around the diesel forum sites and read all the issues people were having with the relatively new engine.  I don't want to start a debate, just want to hear what owners are experiencing.  I don't know if the problems from the other forum were shakedown issues of a new engine and all bugs have been worked out, or still some way to go....thanks for the honest answers.

Only have one experience response.... Pleasure.  I'll have to look around on the forums, have not heard anything about others having problems yet.
''''''
Update.  Well, after 25mins of digging through all those pesky positive comments and pet words for their trucks... Animal, house puller, ape...... Got one!  Bingoooo, some electrical problem that had to get fixed. 

So far the only complaints I have read about is the relatively poor fuel economy.  The hyped claims are just not truthful.
Whats wrong with your 2010 D/A?  IMHO you would be far better off keeping that one.  Far less emission crap to deal with, a proven drive train on top of that.
Some people like the looks of Ford slathered in all that chrome, but until that motor gets about 5 years of reliability under it's belt I am not interested.

Maybe it's the forums I frequent, but it seems like the guys who complain the loudest about the new Dodge cummins are the 4x4 offroad tire and suspension"emissions are crap" guys who like to mod like crazy.  And even those guys admit that in stock form the engine doesn't have any issues.

I'm looking for a new TV as well, and I just hope that the complaints are isolated and due to misuse.  I really would like to think the manufacturers have licked the problems that emissions equipment caused.  Years ago I had a 6.0L powerstroke, which was known for EGR issues.  I never understood why it couldn't be designed properly from the start.

I certainly have not read "all the issues".  There were some issues right after the release of the 6.7L, as is common with new engines.  But the issues were resolved (most of them as near as I can see), especially the transmission issues (a shifting between 2nd and 3rd).  Since the Job 2 release of the 6.7L, there have been very few problems.  I've had my truck now for coming up on 4,300 miles (I know it's still young), and have had no problems.  It drives like a dream, and it tows like a dream.  It outperforms my 6.4L (2008) in every category.  Empty, I am averaging close to 19mpg.  On the highway (trip from Houston to San Antonio and back), I was getting almost 23mpg.  I never got over 17 mpg in my 2008 in any mode.  My towing has been very limited so far, but I got 11.4 on that one trip.  I'm taking the 5er to Canyon Lake in a couple of weeks.  That will be a much better trip for a towing mileage figure.

I am completely satisfied with my truck so far.  I have read many posts of folks pulling a much bigger load than me and have lots more miles and have had no issues.  I'm not saying they're not there, but they seem to be the minority and most seem to be resolved quickly.  Ford has too much in this new engine and their past engine problems to let this get out of hand.

Thanks for the comments thus far.  The reason I'm looking to upgrade is we just ordered a new 5th whl and my gasser is not rated to handle it.  I drove a GMC first and was about ready to order one until I drove the Ford- and even though I don't particularly care for the nose, it was much quieter, smoother riding and had more creature comforts for about the same price as the Jimmy.  What I read was at Powerstroke.org which looked like there were all types of problems, while Powerstrokenation.com wasn't as negative.  No one seems to have many miles on them yet- which makes me skiddish.  I'm looking at a Chevy Monday..let you know how that turns out.  I know the Chevy is just a GM with a smile...but a smile may be all I need!

mbbowie said:
Thanks for the comments thus far.  The reason I'm looking to upgrade is we just ordered a new 5th whl and my gasser is not rated to handle it.  I drove a GMC first and was about ready to order one until I drove the Ford- and even though I don't particularly care for the nose, it was much quieter, smoother riding and had more creature comforts for about the same price as the Jimmy.  What I read was at Powerstroke.org which looked like there were all types of problems, while Powerstrokenation.com wasn't as negative.  No one seems to have many miles on them yet- which makes me skiddish.  I'm looking at a Chevy Monday..let you know how that turns out.  I know the Chevy is just a GM with a smile...but a smile may be all I need!

Did you drive the Dodge as well?  Curious what you think of the three.

I'm driving a older Dodge Diesel as well... But I would say buy a diesel of the brand you wish to drive... (Ford, Dodge, or Chevy) I really don't care really what brand but the fact it is a diesel and its designed to tow large trailers and haul much more weight than any gas engine.

So pick out a truck that suits your trailer and your budget...  ;D

Haven't driven a Dodge yet, but it may be my next step.  I priced one out and it appears to be less expensive, but I also heard the gas mileage isn't great.  I too am not beholden to one brand or another, I've owned Fords, Chevy's and GM (never a Dodge) and have had positive experience with them all, I think it's more in how you take care of them than anything.  It will be a diesel dually.  I debated the dwr/swr thing but know that a dually will do the job much easier.  Besides, the reason I'm looking now is not getting enough truck in the first place-

mbbowie said:
Haven't driven a Dodge yet, but it may be my next step.  I priced one out and it appears to be less expensive, but I also heard the gas mileage isn't great.  I too am not beholden to one brand or another, I've owned Fords, Chevy's and GM (never a Dodge) and have had positive experience with them all, I think it's more in how you take care of them than anything.  It will be a diesel dually.  I debated the dwr/swr thing but know that a dually will do the job much easier.  Besides, the reason I'm looking now is not getting enough truck in the first place-

Right there in bold... He's right... It all in how you maintain the vehicle...  8)

I have the new 6.7 F350.....LOVE IT..... so far not too many trips and miles yet but all indications are, this will be as bullet proof as the old Ford's.  My son is big on Mustang world and gets feed back from them.  I personally had an 07 F250....."THREE" transmissions  got real pissed and wanted to get rid of every Ford I had (5 of them:  Former Ford employee)  But now over it.  Since Ford got rid of Navistar and built their own drive trains, seems to be better :)

RV Crazy said:
I have the new 6.7 F350.....LOVE IT..... so far not too many trips and miles yet but all indications are, this will be as bullet proof as the old Ford's.  My son is big on Mustang world and gets feed back from them.  I personally had an 07 F250....."THREE" transmissions  got real pissed and wanted to get rid of every Ford I had (5 of them:  Former Ford employee)  But now over it.  Since Ford got rid of Navistar and built their own drive trains, seems to be better :)

It's refreshing to hear your enthusiasm!  I know the engine is all-new from Ford, but I didn't know Navistar had anything to do with the transmissions.

Did not mean to miss lead.  I don't know if Navistar had anything to do with the tranny's or not.  But I do know that I had to have 3 put in my 250 and was afraid that the motor was next.  The 6.0 and the 6.4 was a Navistar product and did not want a "lemon" and had researched that Ford was really serious about the 6.7.  Sorry for the mistake. 

mbbowie said:
At the time i bought my Chevy-2010 duramax i did look and test drive the new Ford and Dodge. Both were compareable in price with Dodge being a little less. The Fords interior was a little nicer. I drove the chevy last.

Dodge was a little under powered in my opinion. The ford was quieter as far as engine noise. The Chevy had the most get up and go.
I done a lot or research, after all it is a $50,000 decision. Dodge had tranny problem trends but the Cummins is bullet proof and in the past has had body fit issues. Ford had a new engine and redesigned tranny but a beautiful truck.

Chevy i would say is not as attractive as the ford and in the past has had injector issues, but no real issues since 2008.

My final decision was made on two or three factors. Chevy has the Allison transmission, 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty and my brother-in-law works for Gm in Arlington Texas which i was able to get a discount through him of around $3000.

So far 18,000 miles later i have been super happy. I get 17-18 mpg  regardless in town or on the highway. Pulling 13-15 mpg 14,800 lbs. No powertrain issues to date. I have had a couple of interior fit issues i need to get warranty work on. The Gm discount was nice but i had owned gm products in the past and was not happy.

As far as trucks i had always been a Ford man. To date i can say i am extremly happy with all aspects of my truck choice.

Look at the the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge  pull and performance  test that was held a few months back. You will be surprised. I was.
This is just my 2 cents and not wanting to start a which is best debate. Pick What you thing you will be happy with. The Big three all make a good diesel pickup.
I choose a SRW over a DWR due to the wife was afraid she would have trouble  manuvering in it.

RV Crazy said:
I have the new 6.7 F350.....LOVE IT..... so far not too many trips and miles yet but all indications are, this will be as bullet proof as the old Ford's.
What he said.  Like edjunior, I only have about 4-5K on mine.  I always though my '97 7.3 PSD was a beast--what a treat I was in when I towed with my 6.7.
Mileage is tough for me to critique--I seldom run long without towing.  edjunior's F250 likely has the higher rear rearing and is getting better than I do.  When I am empty it seems to be between 15-19 MPG.  Right now I am showing 15.8 I think, but the truck idles ALOT--its cold up here. ;D  I feel if I ran long trip on the highway empty I would be right around 20 MPG, give or take.
Towing last summer, I was at closer to 10 MPG.  That is TT loaded and no grass growing under my feet.  Fighting Alaska mountain passes, as well as head and side winds. 8)

No have not heard that, actually spent some time on the internet last weekend while researching for this thread, didn't see that.

jje1960 said:
No have not heard that, actually spent some time on the internet last weekend while researching for this thread, didn't see that.

I should have prefaced that a Dodge dealer told a buddy of mine that when he was test driving a new 3500 DRW.  I am putting in the category of sales B.S. , but I thought it was worth asking just in case.  ;D

Phil Hyde said:
I should have prefaced that a Dodge dealer told a buddy of mine that when he was test driving a new 3500 DRW.  I am putting in the category of sales B.S. , but I thought it was worth asking just in case.  ;D
Gotta love salesman.... :)  Granted, I only have 15k on ours, but if continuing to put the DEF in the tank is my only complaint.... I'm a happy kind of guy.  I actually had an individual making comments while towing last year, was fueling while on vacation and he made some comment from another bay about the DEF thing.... I noticed on the way out that he had black all over the back of his truck, pipe, side of the truck.... Won't say what brand it was, just kind of snickered on the way out....  Anyway, so far very happy with what we ended up with for our adventures, anywhere we want to go, don't worry about grades or the route, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom