Extended Warranties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blakesgranny

Who has had good /or bad experiences with Extended Warranties?  We have a 1 year old Class A Motorhome
Thank you

Hi. My experience  with camping World extended  warranty  was bad... now I just save dollars for repairs . .. Jim A

If you do get an extended warranty be sure to read all the exclusions and fine print.

Years ago I had an engine in a Class C overheat causing the total loss of the engine.

The fan belt broke and wrapped around the water pump.

The warranty company would not cover it using the excuse that the fan belt was a maintenance item and since it caused the engine to overheat they would not pay for the new engine.

Read carefully.

I would recommend a warranty if you're buying a diesel powered coach, but not for a gasoline engine. I bought my 2010 Winnebago Journey in 2012 and bought a service plan from Cornerstone, 4 years, $4000. In May 2014, I had Freightliner in Gaffney go over it. In July 2014 on our way to Forest City, Ia, we  broke down near Washington Courthouse,  Oh. We got towed and spent 8 days in Columbus, Oh.
The bill came to around $20,000. Cornerstone paid $18,000, and I  had to pay around $1,500. My deductible was only $500. But the shop made me pay the difference.
If you opt for the service contract, be sure to get Exclusionary and consequential damage coverage.

Much has been written here in the past on the pros and cons (mostly cons) of extended warranties. I suggest you use the SEARCH function to locate previous topics and educate yourself.

In a nutshell, it is an insurance policy for repairs, so it's great to have if there are many costly repairs but just another expense otherwise.  It won't cover half the things you wish it did.  Few trailers or even gas chassis motorhomes have enough high expense repairs to make the insurance worthwhile, but it does give a sense of comfort to have some financial back-up if needed.

Hi.. I did have a Good  Sam extended warranty  for a couple of years ... had a couple of problems which they would not cover. I suggest you set up account  and save money for repair  instead of buying a good Sam's waranty.  Jim2007.

Back
Top Bottom