External shower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kafansler

Hi, I am thinking about installing an outside shower.  Any thoughts good or bad and anything to watch out for? 
Thanks Kyle

Not that I can think of - just standard plumbing precautions.  Remember if you cold weather camp (or storage), an outside shower will freeze whether in use or not - you've brought the water lines to the exterior surface.  Also, if you leave the outside valves on and shut the water off at the shower head, the cold water and hot lines will mix through the water tap, likely causing you to get cold water inside when you turn the hot on. After that happens a time or too, you will remember to turn off the outside shower at the tap and not the shower head.

What's your reason for wanting to install an external shower?  Just curious, and wondering if it would be worth the effort.  I have one but still haven't figured out when/why I would use it (vs. kicking off some muddy shoes and going inside the MH to *really* shower if needed).

I was wondeering tha same thing.  We had an outside shower hose in the water bay on both Bounders and the present Eagle and have never had the occasion to use them.

I was surprised to find an outside shower on my MH as well, and have yet to figure out any scenario where I would want to use it.

I've even thought about unplumbing it and capping the lines and filling the compartment with insulation panels.  Of course, the least effort thing to do is just leave it alone.

Plus, it's on the driver's side, and locked.  I don't usually carry the MH keys (about 50 gazillion of them) on me, so first I would have to walk to the entry side, get the keys from the hook inside the door, walk around, unlock the shower, use it for some unknown reason, lock it back up, then go put the keys up.  And I'm sure my feet would get dirty again with all that having to walk around the rig.

*shrugs*  Supposedly it makes the NADA value a tiny bit higher.

By all means, if you want one, go for it!  I imagine if I had kids and were at a beach, it might be useful.

good luck,
jim

Yes, those outside "shower" hoses are handy to remove sand after being out on the beach.  Down in Baja we brought a hose into our shower which had a window.  That way we could shower without putting their potentially harmful water into our fresh water tank.  The hose sat out all day and the sun warmed the water in it, so it actually worked pretty well.

ArdraF

Our Winnebago had an outside shower on it when we bought. We thought "what a waste" but since it was there, decided we didn't care one way or the other. Boy, are we glad we have it now. We have a 95-pound labrador who loves to swim and has four large mud/dirt attracting feet.  We like to hike and we also get our own, not-so-hairy, feet muddy and dirty. That outside shower is great for cleaning off feet and shoes. Also comes in handy for rinsing out the sewer hose after dumping, washing off the hoses, rinsing the plastic door mat, and more.

Wendy

just checked my outdoor shower (and rinsed out the antifreeze while I was at it) and realized that there was also a hose hookup right there beside the shower in the cubbyhole.

So, I guess I'll take the lazy approach and leave it alone.  :D

jim

The outdoor Shower Head is great for washing down the Grandchildren before they enter the MH.  I beliveve they can get dirtier than a big dog and definitely more often.

We use our outside shower quite a bit.  When we are dry camping at a couple of the places we frequent, I set up one of those coleman camping showers next to it and run the hose into the camping shower.  That way we don't fill up the gray tank, they charge $35 to come around with the trucks to empty your tanks.

Also use it to wash dirty hands if I've been working, rinse off muddy shoes, and as Wendy said, rinse off the labs.

We also use ours quite a bit for rinsing off the sand and grass of of the Kids, Dogs, and rinsing out sewer hoses before putting them away.

Wash kids, dogs, hands after dumping tanks, and hands after working on greasy stuff.
I keep antibacterial soap and hand cleaner in the bay where it's handy.
Never thought I would use it but find that I do - a lot.

We also keep soap and hand sanitizer in the external shower bay along with a roll of paper towels and a couple of rags.

Wendy

my wife and i have a toy box and we do ride our atvs. in the mtns sandy and here in e tx muddy . we use the outside shower before we enter the fiver. wouldnt do with out our shower 

Didn't know there was an inside shower unit I saw the wife using it once. Alsays thought it was storage area

Shayne said:
Didn't know there was an inside shower unit I saw the wife using it once. Alsays thought it was storage area

Makes a dandy coat closet. Sure is a pain to move things tho when you want to shower. Only the dog uses our outside shower for bathing.

Karl said:
Been meaning to talk to you about that, Shayne..... ;D ;D

Hmmm maybe we were wrong maybe Shayne didn't forget her.  Could it be that she was ---- well better to let Shayne explain that. ;D ;D ;D

I use the cold water at the outside shower  Not allowed to use the hot water.

Back
Top Bottom