EXTRA FUEL TANK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired CSIGuy

;)  Just some info for anyone who might be interested.  I installed an aluminum 47 gal aux deisel tank in the bed of my 07 Silv HD2500 this weekend.  Gravity fed since I don't like the look of a pump sticking up.  Got the tank from Northern Tool and the fuel neck instal kit also.  Works like a charm and reasonably easy to instal if you have medium mech skills.  No instructions come with the tank, but it wasn't  hard to figure out.  Took about 3 hours.  The most difficult thing was getting the position of the ball valve in the fuel fill neck kit adjusted.  Not much room to work up in there with my big ol' paws, but after a few adjustments turning it this way and that, some skinned knuckles and lots of swearing, I got it.  Works great and I'm very happy with it.  I might put a 12v shut-off solinoid in the line at some point so I can control the flow from the cab as opposed to stopping to turn the tank on or off with the manual valve.  The only thing you need to be aware of is the additional fuel capacity will confuse your DIC (Driver Information Center) computer as far as your "range" if you use both tanks at the same time.  If you let your main tank get down to 1/2 or 1/4, then turn on your aux tank so it refills the main, the DIC works fine.  Side notes: Make sure you check under your turck bed before you start just drilling holes willyy-nilly.  Mark your spots in the bed and drill small pilot holes first.  Also, put some hard rubber or something like that between the tank and cab wall of the bed, so you don't get a rattle or scraping. Make sure to that before you bolt the tank down.  Even with the shipping, it was much cheaper than having one put in.  The cheapest deal I could find installed was around 1800 clams.  I did this one complete for 620. ;).  Tank was only 450.  The rest was shipping, bolts, nuts, washers, rubber stripping, etc.

I installed a after market titan fuel tank now i can Carey a total of 52 gallons  it mounts under in place of factory tank . i agree with u it nice to have the extra range

I put an RDS 51 gallon in my bed with the gravity feed filler neck on my 2012 dodge DRW and had to shorten the metal filler neck by about 3". Mine has a check valve that wont let fuel flow when it gets to the fill neck tee. Works good and now I have 86 gallons which cuts down on fuel stops and makes long hauls nice.

Since I have the 26 gal tank on my 250 I am researching that too...

but a point to consider is will that extra 200 or so lbs put you over your axle weight rating ?!?

typically the 3/4 ton trucks are at their gawr with just the pin wgt... so consider it carefully...

(besides, the 26 gallons go a lot further than my wife's bladder :) :) )

If the aux tank is higher than the main tank, be sure to turn off the aux tank feed before the main tank is completely full.  If you don't, you could leave a trail of $4 a gallon fuel on the road as it spills out the main tank's filler tube and vent.

Just picked up two of the 5 gallon "cans" for an upcoming trip, $30.  Put 3 gallons in each.  That gives me 6 gallons reserve to reduce the pucker factor for the 380 mile pull.

My tank is 34 gallons and I get ~12 mpg.  I think I can make it, but the wife doesn't (we've made this run before). 

Joel

I have found it best to top off at 1/2 tank. I am ready for a break as well as time to check out the rig as well as the load. Anything past 1/4 tank you run a risk of the (in tank) fuel pump being above the fuel and over time can cause it to go bad. At 1/2 tank you still have enough fuel to get to almost any place for fuel as well as safety. I do carry a fuel can full (3 gal) however that is for the back up Generator.

HMMM....
5 gallon can of diesel ?!?

Guess you would store it tied down in the bed ?

Would be heavy to get out & How do you stop the rattling :)

(guess if you are running out of fuel - it won't seem too heavy !!!!

kyle2601 said:
I put an RDS 51 gallon in my bed with the gravity feed filler neck on my 2012 dodge DRW and had to shorten the metal filler neck by about 3". Mine has a check valve that wont let fuel flow when it gets to the fill neck tee. Works good and now I have 86 gallons which cuts down on fuel stops and makes long hauls nice.

I'd interested in an tips you may have, as we have the same truck.

I would love to add an in bed tank to my pick up for GASOLINE but was told it was against the law to have a gravity flow GASOLINE tank in the bed of the truck.  To have it professionally done would be near 3000 dollars.  I can buy a lot of gas for that much money.  But I hate having to stop for GASOLINE every 200 miles.

Bob Vaughn PH1 said:
I would love to add an in bed tank to my pick up for GASOLINE but was told it was against the law to have a gravity flow GASOLINE tank in the bed of the truck.  To have it professionally done would be near 3000 dollars.  I can buy a lot of gas for that much money.  But I hate having to stop for GASOLINE every 200 miles.
Transfer Flow sells GASOLINE in bed aux. tanks for around $1000.00

My Transfer flow 75 gallon Auxiliary tank cost somewhere around $1400 tax and all installed back in 2009.  It's a DOT legal installation.  I wouldn't trade it for anything and was well worth the cost.  When the main tank drops to about a 1/2, a pump comes on and fills it back to about 3/4.  When the main tank drops much below 1/2, I know that the aux tank is empty.  I reset the total gallons used on the truck's trip computer each time I fill up and watch it so I know how much of the fuel has been used.  I also watch the fuel range when the tank starts transferring fuel.  The range will start to increase during the transfer.  When it stops increasing, I know that the transfer pump has turned off.  Below is their web site.

http://www.transferflow.com/index.html

What about these Tradesman steel tanks?  Delivery time on the RDS units is 2 weeks (approx), but these are in stock locally:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200335303_200335303?issearch=334293

As far as the extra 200-300 lbs of axle weight goes?  just leave your mother-in-law at home when you travel.  Seriously....just lighten your load a bit, and you'll be ok.  When your REALLY examine your load (bed and hitch weight), how much extra crap are you carrying that your rarely,if ever, use?  Most peolple haul waaaaay to much stuff in thier truck/trailer that they don't need at all, on the off chance that one day they might actually use 3 lanterns, or 7 lawn chairs or 5 tool boxes, 4 fire extinguishers, that pressure washer, the upright carpet cleaner, or that 7 gallons of extra oil...oh yeah, forgot the 80-90 gallons of fresh water (650-700 lbs).  You get my drift i'm sure.  ;)

i installed a Titan aftermarket tank .U have to remove existing tank ,holds 52 gallons love it :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom