EZ Lift R3 sway adjustment question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bikemutt

The dealer installed an EZ Lift R3 weight distribution hitch when we picked up the trailer, seems like a very nice piece of equipment. The sway control function of the hitch was not set which we didn't realize until we got home. According to the manual, the sway control may be disabled for tight maneuvers, or set to an appropriate value, up to the factory maximum. I understand how to adjust the sway control collar, what I don't know is where to set it, as in a certain amount of torque, a good guess?

Anyone have experience with this system?

It's guesswork, aka trial & error. If the trailer is well-balanced (10-12% tongue weight), you probably don't need any "anti-sway" at all, and if the tongue weight is much less than 10% nothing is going to compensate fully. I suggest setting the clamp adjustment at the halfway mark and see how it goes.

Get the trailer weighed while it's loaded as your typically travel. If it doesn't fall into the weight ranges cited above, try to re-distribute the load to get there. You won't have any sway worries if you can do that.

Here's an article from this site's RESOURCES that describe how to weigh a trailer.

Having done a lot of trailer towing over the years, I must say that sway control is needed if you are driving in less than ideal conditions such as uneven roads, gusty cross winds or several other conditions. I would suggest that you start with this video.

HOW TO INSTALL: TR3 Weight Distributing Hitch

Thanks, I've seen that video. They instruct how to engage and disengage the sway control, but they don't quantify how many turns on the bolt, or how much torque on the bolt corresponds to a percentage of the total available sway management.

I'm gathering a trial and error approach is what's needed. The good news is the 20 mile trip home on a windy, rainy day on Interstate 5 at 65 mph was uneventful, even with the sway control bolt disengaged.

I'm gathering a trial and error approach is what's needed.
Trial and error is probably the best way to figure it out. You may not need it most of the time, but when driving gets difficult is the time that it matters. I have also found that properly adjusted sway control will help to keep the trailer from trying to pass you in an emergency stop. RV's are more subject to most sway conditions due to the fact that they have big sidewalls and a relatively high center of gravity.

Trial and error is probably the best way to figure it out. You may not need it most of the time, but when driving gets difficult is the time that it matters. I have also found that properly adjusted sway control will help to keep the trailer from trying to pass you in an emergency stop. RV's are more subject to most sway conditions due to the fact that they have big sidewalls and a relatively high center of gravity.
How would a properly adjusted sway control help keep the trailer from passing you in an emergency stop?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom