EZ Pass or RV TollPass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do these systems take travel trailers into account?

I mean, sometimes it's just the truck. Sometimes, it has the RV trailer being towed.

I'm particularly interested in how the systems in TX and OK deal with it.
I'm pretty sure that they just count the axles.
We towed step-son's TT from Maine to Amarillo, and I could see the billing for each state showing total four axles. On both our E-Z Pass, and TX-Tag(KS and OK).

We have had an I-Pass since before we had an RV. It’s always worked for us anywhere EZ-Pass is used. Florida joined the EZ-Pass bandwagon a year or two ago.
We called the I-Pass folks (in Illinois) when we got our first coach in 2016 and we’re told to just put it in whatever vehicle we were driving… it charges per axle (so gets a bit pricey with the toad), but it’s always worked. We use the option to tie the transponder account to a credit card so the account is never depleted.

With the exception of MN all are east of the Mississippi River.
Well, there's not that many tollways in the West, either.
I suspect that it won't be long before Tx, OK, and KS will sign on to take EZ-Pass. Hopefully so will CO, but then, since I retired, I haven't had much use for my CO toll tag.

As for this new RVToll Pass thing, I've yet to meet, or communicate with anyone who has it. It looks like it can be expensive to use, though, so I'll keep my collection of toll tags for when I need to get around.

Well, there's not that many tollways in the West, either.
Thankfully that's true for now, but I notice that there has been an increase in toll HOV lanes (including between Castle Rock and Colorado Springs and along I-70 west of Denver, in addition to more and more around the Denver area, so this is unfortunately increasing even here, though so far E-470 is the only road around here that I can think of that is toll in all lanes at present.

Just closing the loop.
I sent a message to the ExpressToll folks a while back, and received this response:

"Hi, Lars- E-470 and the ExpressToll transponder system are currently only interoperable within Colorado. We are not part of the RV system. We are in the process of working to become interoperable with the Central Hub Tolling system. I can pass along your interest in the RV system as well!"

Look into the I Pass in IL. There are no more toll booths in IL, get the transponder and you pay a reduced toll. No cost for the transponder. Keep $40 in your account and automatically refilled as needed to the $40. I Pass is accepted everywhere EZ Pass is, which is just about any place east of Mississippi river.
This is what I'm finding. "How much does an I-Pass cost. The I-Pass costs $30 to obtain along with a refundable deposit of $10. A further amount of $20 is to be deposited towards prepaid tolls. The minimum balance is $20 and the account auto-replenishes 10% of the average monthly usage or a minimum of $10."

I wonder if you can get a refund if you keep extra in your account over what you use on a trip.

My transponder is registered to my license plate, if the plate doesn't match the transponder (I take it in another car) they will fine my transponder account. At one point I had four transponders in all family cars; they're provided free.

The plate has to match the transponder.
Edit: Now I see where your state is. That will teach me to post too fast. I'll have to see if I can get a Mass transponder for free or if that's only for Mass residents.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HillcountryHusker
Back
Top Bottom