EZ-Pass use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earl Fowler

If I were to buy an ez-pass in New York state for my pickup truck, can I tow my travel trailer through the toll station with just that pass, or must I do something else to remain legal?

I've done the research on-line but I can't find anything definitive....

Many thanks for your consideration.

My understanding is that the EZPass system counts axles and bills you accordingly.  We tow our toad behind our MH and have been correctly charged each time.  I believe some EZPass systems also weigh the vehicles (I think the PA Turnpike does this) to determine the correct toll.

The rate elements for the combination of a pick up truck and a towed camper are the total number of axles for the combination, and the height of the of the towing vehicle (first two axles).  The height rate factor is different for under 7ft 6 inches and over 7 ft. 6 inches.  If you are towing a travel trailer the axles will be counted and the rate for a low vehicle is applied as your truck is probably not over 7ft 6 in. .  If you have a fifth wheel which is over the towing vehicle and increases the height over 7 ft 6 in you will then pay for the number of axles and the high height rate if you use your existing ez pass tag.  Discounts are available for fifth wheels, but you have to contact EZ pass customer service to have them note your account.  Link will help-
http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/tolls/faqs.html#fifth-wheel

You should register your E-Z Pass with the NYS thruway Authority, you will get a discount on the thruway, you will only be charged as a vehicle. I did it about a year ago, through AAA advise. It was in there mag.

Jim

I have used my ezpass on the nys thruway with no problems. I do not use the unattended express toll booth lanes. I go through the attended so I can be sure the attendant checks me through. My buddy drove through the express label with his fiver once and about a week later received a bill in the mail for $70. For some reason the express booth did not count his axles properly when he entered the toll road but counted them properly when he got off. By default the thruway Auth charged as if he drove the entire length of the toll road.

i pull a car trailer on the pa turn pike all the time with ez pass, and have used it in NJ, MD, and OH and it all worked correctly.

Just did this.  Register your trailer as a vehicle on the EZ Pass with license plate number and it works just fine

I'm not sure if they do this anymore, but when I got my EZ Pass several years ago they gave me 2 transponders.  One for my truck only, and one to use when I tow the 5th wheel.  When I just make sure the one you're not using is securely tucked in the EZ Pass envelope.  The application I had to fill out had drawings of all RV and trailer combinations and you just picked out the appropriate one.  I live in Georgia, but I've used it in all the states that recognize the EZ Pass with no problems and no inappropriate charges.

I use the I-Pass (Illinois) which is compatible with all EZ-pass tollways. I have both the car and the motorhome registered. In Illinois it works even in the "rolling lanes" (no booths), the and unattended booths just fine, but in some states you need to use the attended booth to have it correctly count the axles. I used it in Maine, NH, Mass, NY, Ohio, and Indiana. The only place I wasn't charge correctly was one "leg" of the NY Tollway where I used the unattended booth. It did work in NY using the attended booths. I haven't received any notice from NY about the addition tolls owed. Ohio not only counts the axles, but also check to see if your a "high-Profile" vehicle. They also weight every vehicle, but that is just to be sure your not over weight on any axle (limit 20,000 lbs per axle). I also get 50% off the cash price on the Illinois Tollway.

ken

BigDadDogg said:
I'm not sure if they do this anymore, but when I got my EZ Pass several years ago they gave me 2 transponders.  One for my truck only, and one to use when I tow the 5th wheel.  When I just make sure the one you're not using is securely tucked in the EZ Pass envelope.  The application I had to fill out had drawings of all RV and trailer combinations and you just picked out the appropriate one.  I live in Georgia, but I've used it in all the states that recognize the EZ Pass with no problems and no inappropriate charges.

This is exactly what I do. White tag for truck only, blue for truck and TT. Before the blue tag, I could use an EZ Pass lane to enter the Thruway but had to stop at a booth to exit so they could manually charge for the TT.

Back
Top Bottom