Ezpass with a toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phil-t said:
Wouldn't thast require a lot of human manhours of labor in reviewing video.  Maybe they have the technology to count axles and automatically associate it to the tag # so they make the proper billing?

My information was received from the SunPass website. You can look it up yourself. Taking a picture doesn't necessarily mean a human being has to look at it to determine how many axles there are on the rig. They have technology that can do that instead. When a picture is taken of a license plate of someone running the toll booth, how is it determined who owns that plate? Is it done with humans looking at the picture, or is it done by computer software that has the same ability? One program can recognize the plate number and feed that information to another program that contains the database of license plate information on the owners.

John Stephens said:
My information was received from the SunPass website. You can look it up yourself. Taking a picture doesn't necessarily mean a human being has to look at it to determine how many axles there are on the rig. They have technology that can do that instead. When a picture is taken of a license plate of someone running the toll booth, how is it determined who owns that plate? Is it done with humans looking at the picture, or is it done by computer software that has the same ability? One program can recognize the plate number and feed that information to another program that contains the database of license plate information on the owners.
I think I "suggested" that they may have the technology to do that. Maybe?

phil-t said:
I think I "suggested" that they may have the technology to do that. Maybe?

Yes, you said "maybe" and all I was doing was informing you that your surmise was correct and your initial query was not a valid statement or question. I wasn't sure which you wanted to express since there was no question mark at the end of your first sentence although it was phrased as a question.

John Stephens said:
Yes, you said "maybe" and all I was doing was informing you that your surmise was correct and your initial query was not a valid statement or question. I wasn't sure which you wanted to express since there was no question mark at the end of your first sentence although it was phrased as a question.

8)

NY_Dutch said:
For those of us that often use an E-ZPass on the NY State Thruway, be aware that the Thruway offers a "Motorhome Plan" and a 5th wheel discount plan.

But be aware New York EZ Pass accounts have a monthly maintenance fee whether you incur tolls that month or not.

Trivet said:
But be aware New York EZ Pass accounts have a monthly maintenance fee whether you incur tolls that month or not.

Wrong... Only the E-ZPass accounts set up through the NY-NJ Port Authority incur a monthly fee. The NY-NJ PA accounts follow the NJ fee rules. The only other optional fee is if you opt for mailed paper statements each month. Non NY-NJ PA accounts with standard automatic replenishment incur no monthly fee.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/terms_ind.shtml

NY_Dutch said:
Wrong... Only the E-ZPass accounts set up through the NY-NJ Port Authority incur a monthly fee. The NY-NJ PA accounts follow the NJ fee rules.

Well, who knew?!?  I'd just read about New York E-ZPass being favorable for motorhomes; I never saw any mention that there were two different types of New York E-ZPasses.  How is a person supposed to know that sort of thing?  All in the pursuit of paying to use roads.

No doubt, and I always do.  I remember doing a ton of research--enough that I knew about the motorhome discount if you have a New York EZPass.  And people were saying that there was no maintenance fee.  I suspect what happened is I did all that research, and then just briefly went over it once I was in the area to firm things up, and then looked for where to go to get one.  I do remember that locations were few and far between.  Since I didn't know there were two different agencies issuing them, when I pulled up a list of locations, it never occurred to me that where I was going wouldn't issue the one I wanted. 

I still think it's ridiculous that a "New York EZPass" is not necessarily a "New York EZ Pass," and every single time someone mentions it, they should specify which one they're talking about.

I got my New York State EZ Passes including the motorhome with the discount form on-line.  They came in the mail in about five days. That was around six years ago. Had to update the motorhome pass on-line when we got our current one and did the pass exchange by mail also.

Trivet said:
I still think it's ridiculous that a "New York EZPass" is not necessarily a "New York EZ Pass," and every single time someone mentions it, they should specify which one they're talking about.

Well, technically, there is only one "New York E-ZPass"... The other one is the "New York - New Jersey Port Authority E-ZPass" offered in both states, but uses the higher New Jersey fee schedule. New Jersey also offers their own version with the same monthly fee. Is it confusing? Yes... But blame NJ for insisting that the PA offer the pass at NJ rates even when issued in NY for the confusion.

Ken & Sheila said:
We use the Illinois Ipass which is accepted everywhere EZpass can be used. I have one Ipass and both the Motorhome and the the toad are registered. I move the Ipass to the toad when just driving it. This is how the Ipass folks told me to do it.

Same here (Illinois I-Pass) when I had a motorhome... and still with the Suburban + trailer.  The "open road tolls" are great in Illinois, basically a big archway over all the interstate lanes and not requiring any type of slowdown.  The system is supposed to automatically detect your vehicle size and number of axles, and will upcharge accordingly.  Occasionally I've been charged just the standard vehicle rate, for which I'm not complaining.  ;)

As mentioned, if you have multiple transponders make sure you keep the non-used one in its radio-shielded foil bag.  Otherwise the sensors will pick up on it, and you'll be double charged unnecessarily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claassen
Back
Top Bottom