F-350 As a TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

valcas1

Thank you in advance for any help i am given.

I am looking at buying a 1999 F-350 DRW, 7.3 diesel for a dedicated tow vehicle. I understand that 1999 and the 7.3 powerstroke where a good combination. I am finding it very difficult to determine if this is enough truck for towing my new fifth wheel.

The FW is a 2007 Forest River, Sandpiper 315BHT. Stats are as follows. Hitch weight 2170, Dry Weight 10610, and GVWR 14170. So Please help me out! Do I have Enough truck? Also what are your opinions on the B&W Turnover hitch using a fifth wheel travel companion. I have been learning so much form the people who post here. I would like to thank you all for any input.

Thanks

Paul

Try the 1999 Trailer Life tow ratings HERE.  With that old a rig be sure to deduct at least 10%, maybe even 15% from the table ratings.  Keep your trailer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) to less than that number.

I see people hauling around some very large trailers with F-250's and I keep thinking NOT ENOUGH TRUCK, I'd want at LEAST an F-350 for that job.

Looks like I won't say that when I see your rig :)

I have the B&W turnoverball gooseneck with the companion hitch and love it. It was easy to install with very clear and detailed instructions. I also like the fact that it comes apart in two seperate pieces, which makes it easier to handle.

I have an '05 F-350 that I tow a 30' Jazz FW with. It weighs about 13k. I waited for the '05 because of the better 6.0 diesel, tighter turn radius, bigger brakes, tow/haul tranny and adaptive trailer braking. My advice, try to get an '05 or newer.
Lovebird

[With that old a rig be sure to deduct at least 10%, maybe even 15% from the table ratings.  Keep your trailer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) to less than that number.
[/quote]

I'm wondering why that statement. I've got a 1997 F350 CC 4x4 7.3 that's had the transmission built up stronger than stock. The engine has been modified many more ponies that stock. All new ujoints, new carrier bearing, brakes are all new. All new body, engine, & trans mounts. Front and rear diffs have been serviced regularly. Just simply well taken care of.

So I'm just curious why if a vehicle has been taken care of real well why would you have to deduct another 15% I'm presuming that's on top of what your recommending to deduct for going into the Sierra's here in CA. I'm no where close to my (GVWR) I've got a light FW but it would seem I should be able to tow a bigger one without worries. Where am I missing something?
Alan

Here is a link to the 2002 Ford Towing Guide. The 2002 Superduty is not appreciably different than the 99, the first model year of the re-designed Superduty model. I had a 99 F250 Supercab diesel - awesome vehicle for awhile!!!

I have a 1999 F-350 DRW super duty crew cab, 7.3 and I pull a Montana 3280 which is very comparable to your trailer.  Don't have any trouble.  Great truck.  Hasn't been chipped or Banked.  I get around 11-13 mpg towing.  I just moved up to the 5er from a 30 foot TT that had a GVWR of 9800 lbs.  The 5er tows so much better and is close to 5k lbs more.  I don't think that you will be disappointed.  'Course I'm kinda' partial to Fords.  Good luck and Keep Kampin'.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viking1957
Back
Top Bottom