F150 vs GM1500 vs Tundra vs Titan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardo

I now have a Casita towed by a Toyota 4-Runner and am looking to move up to a bigger TT; something in the 6000-7000# range. So I will have to get a bigger TV. I want a crew cab, half-ton pickup and am considering the above mentioned trucks. I admit I am biased towards the Toyota and Nissan brands as I have had very good service over the years with them. I have not had very good experiences, service-wise with Ford, Chevy, or Dodge pickups at work (I'm a forester). But, I will keep an open mind. We will be retiring soon and will be traveling a lot more with a TT; much of the time in mountains and much of the time on 3000-5000 mile trips. I will also be using the truck for daily commutes. Naturally, better gas mileage is a plus, and I'm looking for a gasser. My query is how well the various trucks hold up service-wise under towing conditions; mileage while towing and not; which has better towing capability. I know I will have to match the TT's weight, length, etc. with the trucks' towing capacity; I'm just trying to get ideas on which brands to go after.

It seems that in my travels and in reading this and other forums, that Fords are in abundance as TV's; is that a valid assumption and if so why? I'm very intrigued with the F150 Ecoboost.

Thanks for any light on this topic.
Eddie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't have any actual comparison data for you, Eddie, but I can tell you that I was very happy with how my 1999 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L pulled our first trailer (about 6,500 - 7,000 lbs). I sold it with about 125,000 miles and the only "major" repair I had done was front wheel bearings (which had nothing to do with towing). The 5.3 has come a long way since then with 1 version offering multi-displacement operation where it drops to 6 (maybe 4?) cylinders for fuel efficiency. With that being said, I'm not a Ford guy but the EcoBoost sure sounds awesome from everything I've read!

Easy choice, the Tundra 1/2 ton out pulls all of them, while still maintaining an awesome ride.  Not to mention, great Toyota reliability.

If I planned to spend a lot of time in the mountains, I'd give serious consideration to a 2500 even with that relatively small trailer (they do get heavier with time ;D).

Ernie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom