F150 with 3.5 ecoboost or Ram 1500 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you "shouldn't" ever exceed the speed limit either.....and everyone also does that.  ;)

my brother pulls a 5th wheel with 1 ton Ram diesel and swears by it. In fact, he loves it so much he would rather rebuild engine than buy a newer one.

shelley354 said:
With the newer models out now, which would you choose? Or please share  your experiences thanks towing a TT or 5th wheel around 9000lbs all in.

I have a 2018 HDPP, XLT, 3.5 EB, S.Crew, 4x4 6.5 bed with 11,500lbs towing, 2475lbs payload, 1,320lbs hitch ratings... all actual ratings.

My TT is a 2017 Keystone Laredo 330 RL, yellow door sticker 8,400lbs dry (second a/c), 9,900lbs max, 37ft long, and a 1,075 hitch (more likely 1,200lbs with second a/c).

The truck tows the rig very comfortable with no sway, no issue with controlling in Appalachian mountains, or under 30 mph wind gust.  Anything over 30 mph winds, I don't like the pushing from gust, nor do I like the big rigs getting pushed all around the highways and into my lanes, so I'd rather sit high wind conditions out for a day.  There is a noticeable  pushing sensation as the big rig cab comes up alongside my truck, and I just apply a little pressure to the wheel to counter the push, but there isn't any "pull" when they pass.  The faster and closer they pass by, the bigger the push, but it don't unsettle the truck or setup, and there is definitely no sway or uneasy movements, and half the times I don't feel anything at all.

I have towed with full tanks, and it tows very well, and I know I was over 9,500lbs the last trip out before I emptied my full gray and black tanks, but I still had a half tank of fresh water, which is behind the axles.  It tows just fine with full tanks, but I will admit you can feel the lightness and less of a heavy moving sensation when the gray and black tanks were emptied.  Towing with 1/2 of fresh water feels a bit light  in comparison. I'm sure it would be a lighter sensation with all tanks empty, but I have not towed with empty tanks as of yet.

I believe a larger portion of my stability comes from those super stiff Goodyear Endurance I had installed.  I don't know how the truck would have towed with the China bombs, because I replaced them before ever hitting the highway.

I wouldn't tow my trailer with any other Ford F-150 1/2 ton version but the HDPP truck only, nor would I touch that trailer with any other 1/2 ton on the market, including the 2019s.  In addition, the HDPP truck offered me more of what I wanted in a truck, and with the capabilities to tow my trailer ,and less compromises when not towing than any truck on the market, and that includes the 1/2 ton through a 1 ton.

I towed my 09 29RL Wildcat for a couple of years with an F150 Ecoboost.  No white knuckle experiences at all.  I eventually upgraded to an F350 because I wanted more umphhh when  towing over mountain passes in Colorado.  There were several passes where I couldn't maintain the speed limit and was causing traffic backups and I didn't want to be that guy.

if you use your pickup truck primarily to tow a big trailer.... then you should buy the biggest truck you can afford.

If you use a pickup truck as daily transportation and once and a while tow a big trailer,... that is a good reason to buy a 1/2 ton truck.

I find it kinda funny the guys saying that their F150 tows the 5er with no issues - have probably never tried towing with a truck more aptly suited to towing a fiver so they have nothing to compare it too.
I have yet yo meet someone who started with a 1500 and a 5er that moved up to a 2500 or 3500 and then went back to a 1500 with a similar size 5er/or the same one

I drive both a f150 xlt with 1800lbs pay and a f350 dually with 5200lbs pay - i know what im sticking with for what

I will often throw a cummins school bus motor wieghing about 900lbs in the back of my f150 and laugh as sinks by about 8 inches lol

so ...... why don't you pay a professional to put some overload springs on it . 

oh right, .... you're a founding member of the Yellow Sticker police....(lol)

In the state of California,  compared to a 1/2 ton... that F350 will also carry an extra $200 of annual registration fees.  (lol)

sightseers said:
In the state of California,  compared to a 1/2 ton... that F350 will also carry an extra $200 of annual registration fees.  (lol)

Really you complain about $200 ? On a $50/60/70/80,000 rig can you spell Priorites or potential lawsuits? Maybe ignorance us too many syllables

I have spent the last couple of months crunching payload numbers, truck configurations, watching YouTube videos and reading countless truck forum posts..  I intend on buying a Ram 2500, 6.4L, Megacab with 4.10 gears.  I am anxiously awaiting the Detroit Autoshow to see if the 8 speed transmission is going to be offered.

steveblonde said:
Really you complain about $200 ? On a $50/60/70/80,000 rig can you spell Priorites or potential lawsuits? Maybe ignorance us too many syllables

oh great...not the traffic accident law suite thing again.

If you are 100% at fault for an accident,  you are only liable for the full limits of your insurance policy... and that's it . 
It would be financially impossible to ever try to prove "Intent or Gross Negligence"  in a civil court.

( re/ ignorance  ....this is the correct spelling of 'priorities'.. ;) )

Once again, The Yellow sticker is the load rating for those tires at that air pressure....that sticker is not used by Police for truck weight limit. once you buy that new truck you can legally remove all those warning stickers on the door jams and windows.

Non-commercial pickup trucks are not weight regulated (taxed) by law enforcement like commercial trucks are.

You can take a 1/2 ton truck and put 1 ton axles under it  ...No one cares !  ( and that will save you $200 every single year )

sightseers said:
oh great...not the traffic accident law suite thing again.

If you are 100% at fault for an accident,  you are only liable for the full limits of your insurance policy... and that's it . 
It would be financially impossible to ever try to prove "Intent or Gross Negligence"  in a civil court.

( re/ ignorance  ....this is the correct spelling of 'priorities'.. ;) )

Once again, The Yellow sticker is the load rating for those tires at that air pressure....that sticker is not used by Police for truck weight limit. once you buy that new truck you can legally remove all those warning stickers on the door jams and windows.

Non-commercial pickup trucks are not weight regulated (taxed) by law enforcement like commercial trucks are.

You can take a 1/2 ton truck and put 1 ton axles under it  ...No one cares !  ( and that will save you $200 every single year )

yawn  ::)

sightseers said:

Wow, that's 100% wrong. Your insurance company is only liable to the limits of the policy. Your liability can extend way, way beyond that. That's why people buy umbrella policies.

yes....Warren Buffett may need an umbrella policy.

Normal people don't.  :)

Attorneys are after money...not righteousness.

"The Naysayers may say it can't be done.......but there sure is a lot of people doing it."

Yeah, and there are a lot of people driving drunk when they should not.

RVRAC said:
"The Naysayers may say it can't be done.......but there sure is a lot of people doing it."

Yeah, and there are a lot of people driving drunk when they should not.
or...it's like exceeding the speed limit, or cell phone use, or medications, ....  illegal and dangerous as hell,

but everyone has done it.

;D

All I know is that having gone from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton to now a 1 ton dually I would never go back after experiencing the stability and plenty of payload capacity and braking that I now have. Just saying.......

A truck is a tool,  buy the best tool for the job.

Some trucks only heavy tow once and a while,  and some never un-hook from a maximum load. 

Here in Ca there are yearly commercial registration penalties for a 1/2, 3/4 or a 1 ton pickup  (and even a 3/4 ton Suburban),  a 1 ton pickup can cost more than $400 in registration fees every year...forever.

However...there is a way to register a One Ton dually or even a semi-truck the same as any car.    all you have to do is bolt a camper with a sink on your truck, and it can be registered as an RV. (the same license plate and taxes as a car),  and it is not classified or taxed as a "Commercial Vehicle"..

Back
Top Bottom