family of 10 class a or c?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newrvlady

Ok so I thought I wanted a class a. In fact I am paying for a mechanic to look over a 97 pace arrow as I write. But... Getting cold feet about the gas cost. I can buy a newer class c for the.same price as am older.class a. About 2 years. We have 10 in our family. We need to live in it.for.two months then just have fun with out on weekends. Tight budget makes class cs look nice and the class c fleetwood.we are looking.at tomorrow. Sleeps 10. Anyone.have advice? What works best for large.families? How much mpg for class a vs clads c?
Thanks.a ton.
P.s. Class c had slide and is 31 ft and sleeps 8-10

The class A and the class C will both get about the same mileage.

A class A has a lot more room on the inside that a class B of the same length. The first 7 feet of a class C is wasted space. Class As also have a lot more storage room and larger holding tanks and fresh water tanks than a class C, which is an extremely important consideration for a group that large.

With 10 people and 10 persons worth of stuff you might want to check out the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capcity) and tow rating if you will be taking along a car? Ditto on what Tom says, epecially cargo space. By all means though check out as many as you can and don't be in a rush to purchase if you have time. If you can, take all 10 with you to try on both  ;D

As far as the Ads go, most class C's sleep more people than class A's. That being said think of where 10 people will sit while under way. I haven't seen any that have 10 Seat Belts, so mome modifications will need to be made either way. You will have a better choice of kitchens in a class A. I would imagine you will spend most of your time outdoors with 10 people. We found a class C just too small for just two people and two Dogs. There isn't much living space in a class C and I can't imagine how you would seat 10 for eating in a class C. In the end I would think you would be better off with a class A with bunk a room. Of course the kids could sleep outdoors in a tent, we did when we were young and our parents weren't considered mean or cruel, the rules have changed these days, but you could give them all helmets for sleeping in a tent and avoid some of the criticism.

You wouldn?t find much difference in gas mileage if both are gassers. You?ll get marginally better mileage with a Class A diesel, but the fuel costs more so it?s probably a push. Our 2004 Tioga Ford V10 26 foot Class C got 7 mpg and our 1999 National Tradewinds 36 foot Diesel Pusher gets between 9 and 10 mpg. Pretty much the same costs.

We do 8 in our class C BUT it took us 6 months and a 2000 mile round trip to get it. The first advice is GET some kind of slide out you WILL need the room. We made sure each child got there own drawer do to the layout. We even have the TAG axle to help with weight from ALL the STUFF we carry. The best we ever saw in A class was 4-6 but even then your stepping over somebody. The seat belt issue you will have to add some to the forward  bench ours has a couch with 3 and a seperate captain chair behind driver next to the slide. Mileage SUCK on RV's period but you will be getting around 6-8 mpg. I manage about 7.5-8 mpg I am also very careful not to bring a bunch of extra JUNK.

I can buy a newer class c for the.same price as am older.class a.
Not really.  A Class C costs pretty much the same as a Class A of identical size and equipment, so if the C costs less, you probably are getting less.

I don't know of any coaches that are actually designed for 10 people, but some floor plans offer more sleeping space than others, and Class C's tend to offer more of that sort of floor plan. Many Rvers with kids carry a tent (or two) and children sleep outside. It's an adventure for them and usually the adults like it better too.  ;)

When I purchased my class A 27 foot 1985 Tiffin Allegro there was space to sleep nine. Two in the bed in the bedroom. Two more in the overhead compartment over the bed in the bedroom. The dinette would sleep two, two in the overhead bunk above the drivers head and one on the couch in the living room. I removed 6 of those beds so I would have more room.

New or used?  Have you checked out the 2012 Fleetwood Storm?  It's a cross between an A and a C.  Model 32bh has queen in back, 2 bunks, sofa, dinette and pull down queen over front area.  Pretty close to 10 if most are children.

Saw a 35 foot class A towing a 30 foot tt yesterday, that would be my solution to the 10 person queation.

Jeff

Have you checked the Schoolie option? Converted school bus, or even a converted bus of any kind? It would seem to be a great vehicle for a family of 10.

Mileage is bad no matter what you drive in the RV world.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iec-telecom
Back
Top Bottom