Famous movie spots around the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hotel del Coronado (San Diego) where Some Like It Hot was filmed. Great place to visit, especially around the holidays.

I have a book I bought several years ago about California filming locations. Lots of fun spots.

And, of course, living in SW Colorado, there's the locations around Durango where City Slickers and its' sequel were filmed.

Wendy said:
Hotel del Coronado (San Diego) where Some Like It Hot was filmed. Great place to visit, especially around the holidays.

I loved going to the Hotel Del...! I almost forgot, but it was also in one of what I thought was Steve Martin's funnier movies, My Blue Heaven.

durangod said:
That was the JW version of True Grit ?

They filmed El Dorado in Tucson but also part of it in Kanab as well.  That is probably where that huge boulder by the river is located (el dorado) and also the pond where JW got shot by the girl ill bet in same movie.  Nothing like that in Tucson so has to be Kanab area.  I would like to go visit that area and find that big boulder if its still there.

Also when i lived in Albuquerque i used to get my truck washed at the carwash from breaking bad all the time, it is thriving.  Its at Manuel and Eubank, not right on the corner but just about a half block west.
Yes JW version the bit where Dennis Hopper was hiding in a cabin and the Duke found him.

durangod said:
He also used to go down to mexico in that same boat i believe. Im not sure if he had the boat shipped down to california or if he sailed from WA to mexico.
That boat was often docked in Seal Beach near the shopping center with lots of shore line restaurants.  I've forgotten the name of them now, old age I guess.  Ate there lots of times.

Along U.S. 129 North of Tapoco, NC is the Cheoah dam, which Harrison Ford "jumped" from in "The Fugitive". But you probably don't want to take your trailer or Class A up that road.
The same movie's bus-vs-train wreck scene was filmed just outside Dillsboro NC. The locomotives and bus wreckage were still there in 2017.

PopPop51 said:
Along U.S. 129 North of Tapoco, NC is the Cheoah dam, which Harrison Ford "jumped" from in "The Fugitive". But you probably don't want to take your trailer or Class A up that road.
The same movie's bus-vs-train wreck scene was filmed just outside Dillsboro NC. The locomotives and bus wreckage were still there in 2017.

How about that, there are google images of the train and bus but i dont see the plane images.  Did they leave the plane in the water?

When i drove a cement mixer many years ago we had a call for a bunch of concrete up at the movie studios in Albuquerque.  So we all took the back road up to the top of the hill and at the top is this long straight road for about 2 miles or so until you get to the outdoor concert area and the movie studios road.  There was an old gas station up there for many years that was out of business but the building was still there. 

When i drove my truck up there they had the old service station all decked out with burn marks and tons of wrecked cars all over the road that i had to weave in and out of as well as electrical cable all over the road.  It was really cool looking but at the time i did not know what they were shooting. 

That scene is the scene in The terminator Salvation, this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT7eYRmSKoY

and the gas station scene was this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bOFoxMp64w

There was a rumor at the time that they had also built a tropical forest area out in the middle of the desert for something.  I stopped the truck one day and i could see the palm trees way off in the distance but i dont remember what movie it was for. Could have been the same one i dont know.

Now somewhere in all my really old backup files i actually have a short video i made on my cell phone looking through the windshield of my mixer truck at all the cars and power lines all over the place and the gas station as i returned to the plant after dropping my load.

kinda cool...

Dave, If you are still in east Texas here is one that was filmed fairly near to you that you may want to visit, it is also a nice little town that puts on one big Christmas celebration every year.

Steel Magnolias filmed in Natchitooches, Louisiana (Pronounced NAK-A-TISH)

https://www.natchitoches.com/listing/steel-magnolias-tour-filming-sites

Isaac-1 said:
Dave, If you are still in east Texas here is one that was filmed fairly near to you that you may want to visit, it is also a nice little town that puts on one big Christmas celebration every year.

Steel Magnolias filmed in Natchitooches, Louisiana (Pronounced NAK-A-TISH)

https://www.natchitoches.com/listing/steel-magnolias-tour-filming-sites

Really cool, yes i am still in E. Texas ill be here till they kick me out or im pushing up daisies.  As a matter of fact in my will im writing i am having my ashes tossed in the lake here.  So after that if you catch a big bass, part of that fish is me LMAO 

I believe that town is in my local weather report, cool...

I think it was the 2nd Transformer movie....part of it was filmed early mornings in Bethlehem Pa.....the old Beth Steel plant.....missed the filming....was camping that week!  LOL

jims94vmx said:
I think it was the 2nd Transformer movie....part of it was filmed early mornings in Bethlehem Pa.....the old Beth Steel plant.....missed the filming....was camping that week!  LOL

I been to Bethlehem PA, thats where my sons use to live.  I have never seen such tiny streets in my life (width wize). I guess they were built back in the horse and buggy days and no way to widen them now...

Another site near you featured in many tv commercials, tv movies, etc. is the Texas State Railroad in Rusk TX

Well, not a movie, but this building was used for the HQ for Tony in I Dream Of Jeanie.  It's actually at Edwards AFB in California.

Attachments

• nasa1.jpg
    nasa1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 9
Back in the early 80's I was going to the Southern California Renaissance Fair a lot. It was held on a site used by the movie industries for outdoor shots in the old, old movies. In the film Robin Hood, Errol Flynn jumps up on a twisted tree trunk and salutes the sheriff. It is right in the middle of where the fair was held. Sadly, they had to move the fair when the property was sold to developers.

There was a Mad Magazine movie "Up the Academy" filmed in Salina, KS while I was in high school there.

Saw lots of places in L.A. and Orange counties where movies had filmed. More recently been seeing movie crews and actors around Atlanta and Savannah, GA.

Isaac-1 said:
Another site near you featured in many tv commercials, tv movies, etc. is the Texas State Railroad in Rusk TX

Yeah ill check that out, thanks.

Has anyone noticed that when it comes to military uniforms in the movies that sometimes the persons last name and the service name (ie US ARMY) is on the uniform and sometimes its not.  For example a show like M.A.S.H there is nothing on the uniform other than rank and possibly an arm patch. But then a movie like STRIPES the name, rank, and US ARMY are on the uniform. 

I am just curious if anyone knows why, would this be because one had permission to do so and one not.  Maybe back in the MASH days the legal requirements were different than later in years when STRIPES was made.

By the way STRIPES was filmed in the paved lot where i did my ARMY Basic Training at Ft. Knox.  The barracks in the background were the same ones we used while i was there.  Everytime i see that movie i remember the drills and kazillions of pushups i did in that huge paved lot.

Astoria, OR has a film museum that offers a lot of the history of the filming of Goonies. There is also the house where Stephanie lived in Short Circuit. You can't go in, but you can drive by. Kindergarten Cop was also filmed in Astoria. Don't know anything about the movie or the settings.

By the way i did not mean to leave out the rest of the world in this topic.  I know many movies were made all over the world.  I guess i just put US because noone can pay me enough to leave our borders, not with all the stuff going on in the rest of the world.  But that is just me and the way i have become, it is not meant to say that all other places are dangerious in any way.  But when your anxious you always go for what you are familiar with and to me that is the US. 

So again sorry i did not make this for other places.  Maybe someone can start another topic for other parts of the world :)

Block Island is the name of a movie that no one has ever heard of. We were on the island while filming was wrapping up, and my wife is in the background of the scene filmed at the ferry landing.

At the Triangle T guest ranch and RV park, Dragoon, AZ is the ranch house set for the 1957 movie "3:10 TO Yuma". Full hookups, very nice place to stay for a night or so. Check their website.

We have visited Dysersviile, Iowa twice (although have not camped there) to visit the Field of Dreams property where they filmed the movie. Awesome. Would go again.

Planning on eventually going down to Charleston, South Carolina and going to the Boone Plantation where the tv series North and South was filmed (Orie Main?s family home). It is also the summer home for Allie in The Notebook.

Also, want to head to Pembroke, Virginia to the Mountain Lake hotel where much of Dirty Dancing was filmed. Yes, I am a Swayze fan.

Another location is Utah where the famous ?The Sandlot? movie has the old sandlot and swimming pool. Although I have read the lot may not be much anymore. Would still be fun to try to see both locations if they are there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom