Fan shroud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the fuel pump in the tank is a throttle body injection pump, that's why it has a regulator to limit it to 5 lbs to the front pump. I've fought this battle many times. it won't vaporlock if that pumps working because it circulates the extra fuel back to the tank with that 3rd port on the engine mounted fuel pump.  you also have a fuel filter along the right side close to the steps.

Hydro this is a 1982, they didn't have any type pump in tank until after 1992 when the first OBD 1 computers with fuel injection came out & even then it wasn't on heavy duty applications. Then in 1996 OBD 2 came out which has been in use ever since. Nothing more advanced has been invented. This 1982 has a 4 barrel carb & manual pump on engine (old school). Left (driver's) side RV has an access door where the 2 large fuel filters are, like you would see on a diesel, no idea why Bounder did that, a bit over kill. Then someone before me decided it also needed an inline metal cased filter on the frame prior to pump & again after pump then finally the small brass fuel filter Chevy puts in at the input line at carburetor, thus 5 fuel filters in all. Needless to say carb was VERY clean when overhauled. I did leave Chevy's brass filter there, replacing with a new one. I did leave Bounder's 2 large canister filters there, again replacing with new ones. However I did remove the 2 redundant after market filters as useless. Other then the screen on the end of pick-up tube commonly referred to as "sock" that's it, no electric pump on this year RV unless added after market. Carbs accept up 12psi but the accepted norm on line pressure is 5-7psi in most cases. Fuel injection originally required more substantial to over ride the spring needing any where from 30-80psi depending on throttle body, multiport, sequential, mechanical or electronic but that was added after computers. William52 clothes pins were used back in the 50's & to some extent still work although I wouldn't recommend relying on them. The theory is the term "vapor lock" refers to the fuel inside a metal fuel line gets hot enough to boil thus turning into a vapor. This pressure is too great thus a low pressure mechanical pump can't push against it causing the carb to run dry mimicking running out of fuel. The clothes pins on a metal fuel line work as heat sinks. Drawing the heat away from the metal tube into the wood & dissipated into the air. Longer or hotter the line the more pins needed. The fix for this was auto companies adding a return line at fuel pump on side of engine. By recirculating the warm fuel in line back to cool tank it would keep the fuel in line to carb cooler. This worked on my RV just like any car until they ruined the lower shroud. Problem is distance between pump & carb is a lot farther due to routing then any car plus more open space then under the hood of even a truck so no wind tunnel effect.  By replacing manual pump with electric provides 2 improvements. 1 able to locate return line at carburetor with a tee thus removing the portion of line between pump & carb that's getting hot thus not needing clothes pins because entire fuel line stays cool & 2 not cranking engine 20 to 30 minutes trying to reprime manual pump, fill line then refill empty carb before engine will restart thus lowering strain on starter, solenoid & engine from cranking too long. Jyro this specific carb can handle up to 12psi without over powering the needle & seat. Due to distance between fuel tank & carb O'Reilly's offers a RV specific electric pump to handle this. 92GH yes I have checked box trucks, step vans, cargo trucks, basically anything with a P-30 or P-40 chassis & even C /K trucks & ran into a dead end. That's where I started before posting here thinking same as you, however found designs changed in 1985 or 1986 so not much to choose from that far back. Headhunter9 built own what for race cars?

GM went to efi in 90 on the P30 chassis, and may have had a computer controlled carb a couple years before that. Not sure on the P30 but they did on pickup trucks. They went to efi in 88 on those.
GM was having so much trouble with vapor lock with that chassis they did put a fuel pump in the tank starting in 86 I believe. They used a Holley style regulator that was mounted on the rear frame right where the fuel line is metal. How old is your pump? It may not be pumping enough volume to keep it from vapor lock. No doubt the the missing shroud is part of or maybe all of the problem. Surprised it isn't overheating badly with it missing.  Another thing you might try is using the same kind of line that they use on race cars. Running a braided type fuel line will help in vapor lock, but the line and fittings aren't cheap. Chevy pickups had very big radiators too back then. Have you looked at them?

92GA said:
GM went to efi in 90 on the P30 chassis, and may have had a computer controlled carb a couple years before that. Not sure on the P30 but they did on pickup trucks. They went to efi in 88 on those.
GM was having so much trouble with vapor lock with that chassis they did put a fuel pump in the tank starting in 86 I believe. They used a Holley style regulator that was mounted on the rear frame right where the fuel line is metal. How old is your pump? It may not be pumping enough volume to keep it from vapor lock. No doubt the the missing shroud is part of or maybe all of the problem. Surprised it isn't overheating badly with it missing.  Another thing you might try is using the same kind of line that they use on race cars. Running a braided type fuel line will help in vapor lock, but the line and fittings aren't cheap. Chevy pickups had very big radiators too back then. Have you looked at them?
  Tbi in tanks pump spec. was 9 to 13 psi. I still have the gauge set and it only goes up to 15 psi and the regulator was built in the tbi assm.

good luck
http://www.jcwhitney.com/mr-gasket-single-fan-universal-fan-shroud/p3060410.jcwx?filterid=d50266y1982g2u0j1#
http://goodoldrvs.ning.com/forum/topics/454-p30-engine-problems?id=2093474%3ATopic%3A120115&page=2#comments
http://truckroadservice.com/barth_attachments/Chevy_P32_vaporlock.pdf

Should have. Look on the right rear frame, should be a small regulator there. Sometimes they are hard to get to. If it starts leaking, you can buy the diaphragm kit at most auto parts stores. The holley kit is an exact  replacement. Just use your old spring if you can't tell what color the old one is. If the diaphragm gets a pin hole in it it will leak out of the weep hole in the body.

You might be able to make one of these work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-1995-Chevy-K1500-K2500-Truck-GMC-5-7L-4x4-Lower-Radiator-Fan-Shroud-/272121814411?hash=item3f5bb95d8b:g:7PgAAOSwFMZWr7Y6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Chevy-K1500-Truck-GMC-5-7L-4x4-Lower-Radiator-Fan-Shroud-/172087726854?hash=item28113a5306:g:5u8AAOSwa-dWsoe3&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Cooling-Fan-Shroud-For-C-K-Pickup-Truck-GMC-C-K-Pickup-Truck-15696691-/291071490865?hash=item43c5367b31:g:r-IAAOSwEgVWQ9EV&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-Cooling-Fan-Lower-Shroud-15685906-/111362073834?fits=Year%3A1995%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3AP30%7CSubmodel%3ABase%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A7.4L&hash=item19edb264ea:g:jsMAAOSw9N1VxHi5&vxp=mtr

Deano2002 said:
so my 89 has a pump in the tank?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but gravity just wouldn't do the job, so a low pressure pump was used with an inline regulator/filter and the quad-jet  carb.  Learn something new every day.

William52 said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but gravity just wouldn't do the job, so a low pressure pump was used with an inline regulator/filter and the quad-jet  carb.  Learn something new every day.
See if I can find the supplement.

Attachments

• Chevy P30 85-89 Fuel System B_zpst4gqzuah.gif
    Chevy P30 85-89 Fuel System B_zpst4gqzuah.gif
    48.6 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom