Favorite campgrounds at Myrtle Beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oceanlakes.....just won National Park of the year....AGAIN!

We're here till April.

I second Ocean Lakes but there are several others which are nice also such as Pirateland and Lakewood. Because of competition in Myrtle Beach and shortage of sites, they all are pricey.

I also reccommend Ocean Lakes, we have stayed there several times in the past few years but it really gets busy in the summer after school goes out.

Ocean Lakes is hands the best. If your looking for ocean front, do it NOW,they fill up yours early. The rest of the park is just as nice though!

Ocean Lakes has been our favorite for a number of years, except for a skipped year while i was in Kabul, we have been there every summer since 2005.  We finally learned that in order to be down by the water, we needed to book a year in advance.  So... when we leave each summer, we pick where we want to be and send deposit for the following year.  Last year and next, we are only about 6 spots from the water.  We haul our own golf cart in the back of the SRX, saves like $500 for the two week stay.  It is expensive, however we either haul it or go out to Walmart for resupply, it's only about 10mins down the road.

My family stayed at Lakewood for a number of years when my kids were growing up. It is quite  expensive now, so my wife and I started staying at different state parks instead.

We traveled to Myrtle Beach for the first time this summer and stayed at Ocean Lakes for a week. Top notch place. "Parking lot" camping for sure but the site was actually larger than I expected which was nice. We were about 10 spots back from the beach - great experience to be able to just pack up your stuff and walk to the ocean! We booked only about 4 months ahead of time and got lucky - we slid into this site that was just cancelled - but as was said earlier, book as early as possible for the best sites.

The one thing I did not care for was the golf cart "cruising" that seemed to take place every night from about 7:00 to 10:00 or 11:00. Seemed to be mostly the teenaged seasonals showing off to see who had the coolest ride or loudest sound system. They were polite for the most part; I just found it to be annoying after a while.

We have stayed at Apache Family campground. Older campground, not full of amenities, LOTS of permanent trailers, some there for years. Good rates.

Also stayed at Holiday Travel Park, much more updated, decent rates, sites with trees were a little tight to back into. Pools, store, restaurant, clean.

this year was our first trip to Myrtle beach. we reserved in the winter for a beachfront site at Pirateland . Wife and I drove from Pa , overnited at crackerbarrel in Va . that was a good experience. the campground was huge , and surprisingly, many open spots, especially during the week . there is a sand dune between the cg and beach , making it difficult to see the ocean from our site, so I would not get oceanfront next time. the airport is very convenient, as we picked up our daughters and grandson there. Everyone seemed to have a great time. We played mini-golf at the cg but there are many fabulous courses nearby. We really enjoyed the swimming pool and lazy river although air temps were mid 90s, pool was about 90deg and ocean was about 85. But we expected this in August!  We also experienced the strange "golf -cart parade"  every nite from 9-11pm , just on the beachfront road in front of our camper. Another reason not to go beachfront, but overall a good experience . We also walked on the beach up to the state park and found it Beautiful!

We like Pirateland, and will be there Oceanside site 111 again for Easter.  However, we will be checking out Myrtle Beach Travel Park while we're down there to have a look around.  Not that we don't like Pirateland, but, with my 74 year old mom travelling with us since dad's passing away, looking at the map of MBTP, getting a site that's not a long walking distance from the pool, the ocean and the bathroom/shower would be ideal.  Pretty sure the Pirateland pool is too far away from the ocean to find a spot where access to both is convenient and easy. 

camperED said:
... Wife and I drove from Pa , overnited at crackerbarrel in Va . that was a good experience......

There is a Walmart in Emporia Va. for stopping also, nice size plaza, easy in, easy out.  Just a suggestion for future trips if you need.  Happy travels !

diehard said:
We like Pirateland, and will be there Oceanside site 111 again for Easter.  However, we will be checking out Myrtle Beach Travel Park while we're down there to have a look around.  Not that we don't like Pirateland, but, with my 74 year old mom travelling with us since dad's passing away, looking at the map of MBTP, getting a site that's not a long walking distance from the pool, the ocean and the bathroom/shower would be ideal.  Pretty sure the Pirateland pool is too far away from the ocean to find a spot where access to both is convenient and easy.

At Myrtle Beach Travel park, look at their map at their website, sites 1-200 are close to pool, ocean, new bath houses. All have a shelter over a picnic table, 538 to the 700's are under trees, older bath houses. 515 + is by the store/pool area. All these areas are close to what you are looking for. We had a good time when we stayed there.

We spent New Years weekend at the Myrtle Beach KOA and had a great time.  It is located about two blocks from the beach in amongst pine and oak trees.  There are many restaruants within walking distance.  We have a Class C with no tow vehicle so had to walk everywhere.  We haven't tried Ocean Lakes yet..maybe this summer when the Atlantic ocean is a bit warmer.

We drove to Myrtle Beach a few years ago without reservations (last minute plans to go) and got really lucky.

We stopped at OceanLakes and got a spot right next to the beach without a dune. Really enjoyed our stay in the area and the CG was great!

We have stayed at Ocean Lakes and the KOA.  We stayed 2X at the KOA.  We prefer it due to it's size and the greenery around it.  Ocean Lakes is, for us, just way, way too big.  Can't find fault with anything there except maybe the golf carts zipping around like crazy, we really had to watch when walking the dogs.  When we go back, we'll stay at the KOA again, very nice place and more central to shopping etc.

Ocean Lakes is my favorite family camping ground, there is plenty to do for everyone without leaving the camp ground and it is close to local shopping and dinning. If you are looking for a state park, MB state park is real nice, peaceful, and still close enough to local shopping and dinning.

Back
Top Bottom