Favorite engine/chassis combos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WiJeff

HI,
  I've been looking at used class A's and I see a lot of different engine and chassis combinations. Does anyone have any favorite set up they  prefer over another?  Example: v-10 on a ford chassis    454 on a workhorse chassis  etc.
Thanks, Jeff

I know the workhorse chassis is a upgrade from the ford. And one thing you need to keep in mind in the gross combined vehicle weight ratings wich is better on the workhorse. That depends on how much you plan to load.

busa said:
I know the workhorse chassis is a upgrade from the ford. And one thing you need to keep in mind in the gross combined vehicle weight ratings wich is better on the workhorse. That depends on how much you plan to load.

I may be wrong but I thought the Workhorse Chassis roots are with GM.

When we were looking at Ford & Workhorse Class C chassis, the Workhorse had less restrictive/better leg-room on the Passenger side.
As best I know, Workhorse is the successor to GM frames.

As with most questions that begin with "which is better", the answer is usually subjective.  There are always trade offs that you must consider, and then make your decision based on what works best for you.  At the end of the day, you will always find people who prefer Ford over GM, or Freightliner of both of those, and it gets back to gas vs diesel, A vs B or C, and on & on.  My adviceis shop around, look at all models to see what you like in a floor plan, equipment, price, etc then narrow it down.  There's lots of options, so take your time

If you are looking at gas chassis, I'd pick the Workhorse Wxx series with the 8.1L engine and Allison 5 or 6 speed tranny. The Workhorse P series with the 454 engine and 4 speed tranny is a poor stepchild in comparison. The Ford with the V10 is pretty decent too, especially the later models with the 4 speed tranny. I'd choose the Ford ahead of the Workhorse P series but not the W series..

That's a very broad brush answer - dozens of other factors could make me change my mind about any of these choices.

Hi All,
  Thanks for your responses so far. I am asking what are your favorites, not which is better. Which setup(s) have you had that you thought worked out as a good combo?? Thanks again, Jeff

I don`t think you will have any problems with any setup. Every manufacturer uses pretty much the same chassis, Ford or Workhorse. And they all put their house on top of it. My personal opinion? The workhorse, due to the weight handle. But sometimes you find floorplans in a Ford chassis that i wish they had in a Workhorse. And as setup goes. they all put the batteries in about the same places, generators, inverters, park cables, water and sewer conections etc. I never heard of a engine or a house that does not fit well on a particular chassis. Is pretty much designed for it. So all you have left is what best fits you and your family.

WiJeff said:
Hi All,
  Thanks for your responses so far. I am asking what are your favorites, not which is better. Which setup(s) have you had that you thought worked out as a good combo?? Thanks again, Jeff

Favorites are: Mechanical 300 HP Cummins diesel engine with 6 speed Allison.  Detroit Diesel 500 HP 8V92 diesel engine with 5 speed Allison. On this combo, wish we had that 6 speed Allison to get our Wanderlodge moving a bit quicker.  ;D

I had owned two Workhorse, a Ford V8 and a V10 chassis. I just sold my 04 Allegro with Workhorse and now drives an 01 Itasca with Ford V10. These are both excellent chassis combination, but what you need to look at is their floor plan and how you move around in the coach. I find that the Ford chassis has a better leg room at the driver side. I have had a problem hitting my knees against the steering column on the Workhorse and I'm only 5'8". My 04 workhorse with 5,200 miles melted all the plug wires because of lack air circulation in the engine compartment and that cost me $775 to fix. I think the new 08 Ford V10 has more horsepower than the 08 Workhorse. Overall, my favorite is the Ford V10 and transmission combo.  ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom