feedback on 5.9L Cummins with Allison trans.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taoshum said:
Or, an electric motor with full torque at zero RPM so it can start moving the cable on a ski lift?  Once it starts moving, then it becomes HP.

There's a real simple explanation of the relationship between horsepower and torque.  HP governs the speed you can maintain going up a mountain.  HP is a "power" measurement and power is defined as energy per unit time.  The small engine will have to turn faster than the big diesel but 400HP is the same in both.

Torque is a bit of a different story.  It's the rotational analog of force in Newton's Second Law.  In simple terms it's how quickly you can change the rotation rate of a motor which, in turn, governs how quickly the vehicle powered by the engine can accelerate.  The electric motor example is a good one--big diesels (for example, C-12, C-15, ISM, ISX) develop enormous amounts of torque (>1500 lb-ft) at very low rpm's (~1100-1300rpm).  That means that full torque is developed as the vehicle starts moving from a stop.  The 5.9L or 6.7 ISB has a max torque output of ~800-1,000 lb ft. but can achieve more through gearing but, as with horsepower, it has to spin faster to do that.  Starting from a stop it accelerates more slowly than will the big diesel. 

With an automatic transmission, torque multiplication occurs in the "torque converter" but the maximum amount of torque multiplication produced by a converter is highly dependent on the size and geometry of the turbine and stator blades, and is generated only when the converter is at or near the stall phase of operation. Typical stall torque multiplication ratios range from 1.8:1 to 2.5:1 for most automotive applications.  So the ISB can achieve torque equal to that the base torque output of a larger engine, but that large engine will also experience significant torque multiplication from its torque converter.

For the old-timers here, this is the same situation we saw when imported cars with small, high-revving engines first began to compete against the big American V-8's we grew up with.  Those little engines were rated at the same HP as our Ford and Chevy 8's but they weren't able to produce the same wheel-spinning starts as were the cars we grew up with. The difference was that the small engines achieved their max performance at higher rpm's (and usually developed much less torque). Therefore, they couldn't spin their wheels unless you were prepared to pop their clutches at some pretty high rpm's.

Since you can't pop a clutch with an automatic transmission, with a smaller, lower torque engine you will accelerate more slowly until you have enough engine speed to get into your max torque zone.  By way of comparison my ~34,000 lb Beaver with a C-12 producing 1,550 lb-ft of torque at ~1200 rpm is virtually in its max torque zone as it moves off the line.  Therefore, it accelerates more like a car than a MH.

Before people start reacting, I'm not dissing anyone's MH or engine.  I'm simply pointing out that there are real differences between the performance of large-block, high torque diesels and smaller ones with lower torque outputs even when both are rated at the same HP. At(Caution--I'm a retired physics teacher with a Ph.D in physics, so let's not debate the science.)

Larry N. said:
Bill, on those steeper mountain grades, it's often the case that if you downshift, you'll slow down, rather than speed up, at least with a diesel. So I usually let the transmission decide -- it sets shift limits, anyway, no matter which gear I select -- though I'll occasionally downshift a tad early if it'll let me) just to reduce the rate of slowing. There just isn't enough power/torque to accelerate once you've slowed, regardless of gear chosen, on the 5%+ grades. It's not as if it were a manual transmission, or even one with no computer control (rare these days).
There is some fallacy out there that you should be able to drive over hills like you were driving a car. That is not going to happen even if you have a 650 HP coach. The weight to HP is about the same.
Not down shifting will drive EGT temp through the roof. You are dumping more fuel with less air than you really need to burn it efficiently. This produces extra hot exhaust gas. What are your EGT temps running?
You need to know what your max governed rpm is. Manually down shift till you can accelerate then hold close to your max rpm. once you have your rpm up you may be able to go back up one gear. You want to stay above max torque. If you can't accelerate drop back down and hold your rpm at a safe rpm.
I have never not ben able to accelerate on a hill. That includes some over 10% in the Smokey's. :))
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
"I have to say that on the high passes, with a 6% grade, it won't hold much more than 45 MPH."
What gear and what rpm? If you can't accelerate in a gear on a hill you need to down shift till you can. Then keep your rpm near peak hp.
Bill

Usually settles in 3rd gear at 2900 RPM on the really steep, long grades; if I slow down and drop into 2nd gear, it will accelerate and shift up to 3rd but that's about it;  in 4th or higher it will slow down and downshift, so (as someone mentioned) we just let the computer handle the engine.  I don't really care as long as I make it over the pass...  Once coming up into Leadville from the north, the computer shut us down warning about a "low coolant level" so we pulled over and let it cool and added some anti-freeze coolant (not much, like 1/4th of a quart).  No problems after that.  Much later I found a very small leak on one of the hoses so I tightened the hose clamp and have never had a problem since.  I'm not sure about the location of the coolant level sensor but it must be very sensitive.  I do watch the engine and transmission temperatures more carefully on long grades. 

one big issue with a diesel engine it has a relatively small rpm power band (usually about 1200 rpm.) 

and if you have very few gears to choose from,  the torque converter will not fully lock. essentially slipping the clutch and wasting power.

Interring, as my Allison will lock the torque converter in every gear but first. What are you driving?
taoshum, If you manually down shift it will run cooler on hills.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
There is some fallacy out there that you should be able to drive over hills like you were driving a car. That is not going to happen even if you have a 650 HP coach. The weight to HP is about the same.
Not down shifting will drive EGT temp through the roof. You are dumping more fuel with less air than you really need to burn it efficiently. This produces extra hot exhaust gas. What are your EGT temps running?
You need to know what your max governed rpm is. Manually down shift till you can accelerate then hold close to your max rpm. once you have your rpm up you may be able to go back up one gear. You want to stay above max torque. If you can't accelerate drop back down and hold your rpm at a safe rpm.
I have never not ben able to accelerate on a hill. That includes some over 10% in the Smokey's. :))
Bill

I wasn't trying (or expecting) to make it through like a car, Bill. On those grades, no matter what you do, you slow and slow and slow until it will finally hold the speed. There are several automatic downshifts in there, built in to the transmission/engine control module(s). It's often at the high end of the power band, so downshifting (only six gears, remember) from there is very often counter-productive, IF it will let you shift -- you can select anything you want, but it won't let you actually downshift until you get to a point where the programming deems it safe for the engine/transmission.

It's hard to believe your final statement about accelerating on a 10% grade, unless you first slow to (perhaps) first gear, in which case you are very slow indeed, and this would happen automatically on a steep enough grade, but I'm not sure either the Beaver (CAT 525 HP governed at 1800 RPM) or the Ventana would keep going (up) on a 10% grade of any length (never been on one that steep in the coach), given what I see on 8%.

All that being said, there are times when I'll manually downshift (once it will let me do so), select actually, to be able to hold just three or four more mph.

What are your EGT temps running?
They didn't provide a gauge for that, nor did they provide a mixture control such as many aircraft have (computer does that). Engine and transmission temps are the only ones I have for temp, and they're both where they belong, even on steep grades several miles long (of course they're not directly affected by fuel burn or mixture).

All the above notwithstanding, traffic often affects what speed you can maintain on those steep grades, since traffic may be heavy enough that you can't change lanes, but have a truck ahead of you that forces a slowdown to 15-20 mph, even on a 4% or 5% grade.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Interring, as my Allison will lock the torque converter in every gear but first. What are you driving?
taoshum, If you manually down shift it will run cooler on hills.
Bill

It always holds the same temperature on long grades.  Like I mentioned, we had a low coolant alarm once but the temp was fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom