Fifth wheel or a normal travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thechap1

Hello everyone!

What are the pros and cons between the two listed? Family of three.  Me, my wife and a son who is 16.  I presently own a 2005 diesel Ford F250.

We will be living in the trailer for probably five or six months out of the year.  Gonna head south for the winter.  We will be looking for reasonable camp sites.  We are definitely rich to say the least. So, what are the good and bad between the two?  I realize the floor plan is very important.

Anyone know?

In my mind, the ease of towing a fifth wheel vs. a travel trailer is the most important difference. They track as straight as an arrow with no sway, and are easier to maneuver when parking.

A properly set up travel trailer won't sway either.  A fifth wheel is inherently more stable though.

Comes down to floor plan and what you plan to use the truck for overall.  I've owned both and went from a fiver back to a TT for the simple reason I wanted use of the bed of the truck while we're in transit.  Found a floorplan I love, all is good.  That said, if you're planning on spending a lot of time in it....like 5 or 6 months, the fiver is probably the better option.

I don't own either as I am still searching for something that will suit my needs. I have considered both and have visited dealerships as well as rv shows to view different floor plans.

What I have found is that both TTs and 5th wheel have nice floorplans, it isn't hard to find a nice floorplan. My impression from what I've seen is that a 5th wheel tends to feel more spacious and it's definitely what I would purchase if I were to live in it for extended periods of time. The master bedroom in a 5th wheel tends to feel more "separated" from the rest of the trailer. I haven't seen too many TTs that feel both spacious and have the living area feel separated from the bedroom.

We have had both types.  Many things that differentiate the two are obvious.  Such as more stairs to climb on the 5th wheel. 

Not so obvious is the number of times you will hit your head on the 5th wheel slide out and outside compartment doors.  I have nearly sold my current 5th wheel for this reason alone.  The next glaring negative for me is the height of the 5th wheels.  Many campgrounds have low trees.  Many parking lots have height barriers.  You can't go everywhere with a 5th wheel.  Some campsites are off limits due to height.  5th wheels are usually heavier and require a bigger tow vehicle.  5th wheel hitch takes up most of the room in the bed of the truck.  My son hauls two motorcycles in the back of his pickup while towing his trailer.  I carry a few leveling blocks and no room for much else. 

Bumper pull rigs are long.  Trail over of the back axles can be an issue going around corners.  Most hitches are rated to only 10k pounds, so the trailer is usually smaller and lighter.  While 5th wheels routinely have 50% more weight.  The bumper pull usually has less storage outside on the unit. 

If I was going to live in a trailer with extra people, I would do the 5th wheel as they tend to have more privacy in the front bedroom.

Hope I did not ramble too much.  If so, skip the boring parts.  :) 

billmac said:
Many campgrounds have low trees.  Many parking lots have height barriers.  You can't go everywhere with a 5th wheel.   

I've been towing a 5vr for almost 20 years now and have never seen any height restrictions in campgrounds or parking lots. I have seen low branches in some campgrounds but that's about it. I've only been on the east coast. NH to FL. Maybe it's different out west.  I have a 38' 5vr with 4 slides and live in it for 4 to 5 months in the winter. It has lot's of room. I know I would not be happy with a tag-a-long trailer.

Rene T said:
That's why I have vent covers on all of mine.

The branch would have taken off the cover LOL

Honestly, I eyeballed it....and it LOOKED like it would fit.....so much for the accuracy of my guess-o-meter.

We went from a TT to a fifth wheel because of the space as we live for four month during winter in it.  However, there are campgrounds that have low trees and it is not fun. Storage area in a fifth wheel in plenty more.  But I had to get a bigger truck too. My two cents.

I also chose a TT because I can haul my ATV in the bed of the truck and then haul the RV behind. Other than that I need either a toy hauler or setup for double towing.

Mopar1973Man said:
I also chose a TT because I can haul my ATV in the bed of the truck and then haul the RV behind. Other than that I need either a toy hauler or setup for double towing.
Which is fine and dandy as long as you only have one ATV. We did the same until my wife decided she wanted/needed her own. Then it was time for a toy hauler. After five years of that, we have switched it up to a 5th wheel, and pull the ATV's behind the 5'er. I will say that of all the different TT's I've owned, and now the 5th wheel, I much prefer the 5th wheel for comfort and a more "homey" feeling.

BobX2 said:
Which is fine and dandy as long as you only have one ATV. We did the same until my wife decided she wanted/needed her own. Then it was time for a toy hauler. After five years of that, we have switched it up to a 5th wheel, and pull the ATV's behind the 5'er. I will say that of all the different TT's I've owned, and now the 5th wheel, I much prefer the 5th wheel for comfort and a more "homey" feeling.

Rather easy when your single and have no wife or kids.    ;)

You have an older F250, so check what your truck can haul, unless you want to replace the truck too.  look at your GVW, GCVWR, and GAWR before you decide.

One thing I don't think that I saw mentioned is that a 5th wheel will put about twice as much weight on the truck as a travel trailer. With an F-250 this will likely put you over the GVWR or rear axle rating with most but the smallest lightest of 5th wheels.

Having had several TT's over the years and now being in a FW for 2 1/2 years, I can say in my opinion the only thing I liked better about a TT is having the truck bed free. On that same note I don't need to haul no where near as much in the truck bed as I did with a TT.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Most F250's (or Chevy/Dodge 2500's) can handle the pin weight of a 10,000 lb 5W. That's not exactly small or light, though it is well short of the largest ones.
Small and light are relative terms. If you look at most of the manufacturer's specifications for 5th wheels, you will find that 10,000# GVWR is about the lightest of the models they make and those are generally also the shortest/smallest models with compartively low cargo capacity. There are fewer models of travel trailers over 34' in box length and fewer 5th wheels under 30' in box length so in relative terms what is large or small, light or heavy is not the same for the two RV types.

It is really starting to bug me, how almost every discussion on here these days evolves into a "upgrade your truck" discussion. Not all of us feel the need to carry all of our worldly possessions or have a 40ft trailer. My 6000lb 24ft 5th wheel does me and the wife just fine....and the 1/2 ton has little trouble hauling it. I say little trouble, as it does struggle a tad on a big hill, but I am in no hurry either, so we just go with the flow. Rant over

Back
Top Bottom