fifth wheel to Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We retired in 2021 and are long time campers. Tent to pop up, travel trailer and then our Fiver. Ready to move on to the last phase. We are looking for something $110,000 or less. Leaning towards diesel over gas. My wife is worried that the gas engine will not be dependable and I assure her that it is not a issue and that the maintenance is a lot less. I am however, with her on a DP for the more pleasurable and comfortable ride, towing tag car ease and other factors. I am concerned though about the annual maintenance cost on the chassis, motor, air brakes etc. I don't consider the actual RV components as part of the questionable cost. The maintenance on that part of the coach should be comparable to our 5th wheel. We are wanting to purchase one by the end of April so we have time to look and ask for guidance. Not sure which models offer a better quality regiment. Any help will be appreciated.

Hello and welcome.

I went through this same exercise last year and ended up with a 2014 DP. Had pretty much the same budget as you...as you've probably figured out, you can get a DP or you can get a gas model 4ish years newer for the same money.

Right after we got it, I took it to a diesel shop and got all fluids and filters changed plus a thorough inspection of the air system and power train for 900 bucks. Now, it's a 10k mile interval on fluids and we put 6k miles on it this year, so that should give you an idea. If it was just the fluids and filters I think it would have been 600ish. The fuel filters are expensive and I think you can change that less often.

We have a "small" diesel, 300 hp 6.7L Cummins and it pulls our SUV through the Smokeys like it's not even there. It's very quiet and has loads of power. Because the diesel can carry more weight, the manufacturers tend to use nicer heavier cabinets than gas models...that's my opinion at least.

Finally, and this may sound silly, but there is zero stress getting fuel. We pull up to the big boy pumps at a truck stop, fill up using a TSD card and are back on the road. I used to have a 5th wheel and a gas truck and it was often a pain as you know.

Over several years we found that the maintenance & repair cost of our DP averaged around $1200/yr. That's chassis stuff only, and I did my own oil change and filters. The routine maintenance wasn't all that costly (though more than our previous gas chassis rigs) but it seemed that every year there was something extra, e.g. an air system leak or a wonky starter or something. We spent 4-6 months/yr in the coach and we got in the habit of planning a stop at the FCCC factory service center (Gafney, SC) on our way back home to Florida in the fall. There was always something that needed doing...

We are looking for something $110,000 or less. Leaning towards diesel over gas. My wife is worried that the gas engine will not be dependable and I assure her that it is not a issue and that the maintenance is a lot less. I am however, with her on a DP for the more pleasurable and comfortable ride, towing tag car ease and other factors. I am concerned though about the annual maintenance cost on the chassis, motor, air brakes etc. I don't consider the actual RV components as part of the questionable cost.
With a budget of $110k you will get a much newer coach if gasoline powered and reliability of them is comparable to that of the diesel engines and when used the care either has had plays a significant part. I had a gasoline powered, 36' class A that we kept for 14 years and 88k miles. The only engine related repair was that I replaced the coolant overflow tank about year 10. It did have a pinion bearing seal replaced somewhere around 50k miles on the rearend. Over the 14 years the cost of chassis maintenance averaged less than $500 per year. I did do my own oil changes and with the help of a friend replaced the shocks after 8 years. We were fulltime for 12 of those years, and it was towing a car for more than 90% of the total miles. The biggest expense was replacing the tires at age 7 years. The cost of gasoline is more than enough less than diesel to offset any mileage advantage of the diesel.

In my opinion, the biggest advantage to the diesel pusher is the air ride which nearly all of them have. If there is any advantage in towing a car I'd give a slight edge to the gas chassis since the diesel has the engine access on the rear where the car & tow-bar would at times be in the way. The rear engine does mean that engine noise won't be in the cab with you. If you keep it long enough, a diesel engine does have a significantly longer life when properly maintained but modern gas engines will typically serve well for 150,000 to 200,000 miles if properly maintained and not abused. If you will be fulltime then the RV is more important than the ride since you will spend far more time living in it that driving it so keep that in mind when shopping for any coach.

The previous posts have already provided excellent information on diesel pushers. One thing I will add from what I've read is that of owners who purchased a gas model first, then a diesel, most say they wish they would have gone to the diesel sooner.

As for costs, I've attached a detailed report from all of my maintenance costs since I purchased my 2011 American Tradition four years ago. I do a lot of the maintenance myself as you'll see where I labeled the item "Coach Owner". But when I pay for chassis-related service it's typically billed at $170/hour. My average maintenance cost is about $1,900 and includes charges for maintaining our generator and AquaHot hydronic heating system. Other maintenance items to consider are tires ($400 - $1,200 each) and batteries (AGMs are $300-$400 each). FYI - My coach has eight AGMs that were replaced when I bought the coach for $2,600 (I paid half the bill).

I've also done repairs (e.g., replaced the washer and dryer, dash air conditioner compressor, all new slide-out toppers, etc.) and upgrades that are at additional cost. The bottom line is that diesel pushers can be expensive to maintain. But as others have stated, they have their benefits.

Good luck with your next phase of RVing!

Attachments

• 2011 American Tradition - Maintenance Performed from Jan 2020 - Jan 2024.pdf
    447.1 KB · Views: 3
My average maintenance cost is about $1,900 and includes charges for maintaining our generator and AquaHot hydronic heating system.
The hydronic system is generally another advantage of diesels, for those coaches that have them (usually Aqua Hot or, if a Newmar it's Oasis), since they've mostly not been available for gas engines. However there are rumors that there might be a change with someone developing one for gas (just rumor, so far).

Hydronic is, IMHO, the way to go, and both systems I've had (one of each) are powered by both diesel and by electric, with switches to choose either or both. They're a lot quieter inside than the typical furnace and provide more even heat, plus hot water at the same time (no separate heater or tank) and let you run the shower with hot water until the water is gone, if you're not on shore water and sewer. In addition, both coaches had a heat exchanger in the basement/water bay set to maintain 45º F -- also, engine heat as you go down the road keeps the water (and furnace) hot, too, with electric and diesel burner off.

One thing I will add from what I've read is that of owners who purchased a gas model first, then a diesel, most say they wish they would have gone to the diesel sooner.
If you are going to trade up to a diesel, that is a true statement. For me, I bought a gas chassis class A for budget reasons and while it didn't ride as nice as my friend's diesel pusher, when parked we lived just as well for 12 years and when we left the road we still had enough funds to buy a small home without any payments. Trading RVs is always expensive so there is no question that if you plan to buy a diesel, you will be better off to start with it. On the other hand, in our years on the road we knew 3 different couples who left the road because they could not afford the cost of the diesel that they chose. Keeping up with what others have has never been important to us but if it is important start with the diesel pusher.

Last edited:
Over several years we found that the maintenance & repair cost of our DP averaged around $1200/yr. That's chassis stuff only, and I did my own oil change and filters. The routine maintenance wasn't all that costly (though more than our previous gas chassis rigs) but it seemed that every year there was something extra, e.g. an air system leak or a wonky starter or something. We spent 4-6 months/yr in the coach and we got in the habit of planning a stop at the FCCC factory service center (Gafney, SC) on our way back home to Florida in the fall. There was always something that needed doing...

Nice coach. It would cost close to 1 mill to buy new today.

Nice coach. It would cost close to 1 mill to buy new today.
Man I bet the yearly maintenance fir it would be a good bit.

Over several years we found that the maintenance & repair cost of our DP averaged around $1200/yr.
Curious about the matinanceavg cost
It would be wise to remember that Gary is speaking of the cost several years of inflation ago so you will need to budget significantly more than the $1200/year that he spent. To have a good experience you must stay within the budget limits you have. There are advantages to choosing a diesel but cost/budget must be kept in mind. You also need to plan into the purchase price the cost of a qualified pre-purchase inspection.

As members of the RVing community, most of us have faced the gas vs diesel question before.

At the end of the day, one buys what one can afford. Diesel-powered rigs give better rides and usually better amenities. Are chassis maintenance costs for a diesel RV higher than those for a gasser? Yes, they will be. But, once again, one buys what one can afford. If you can afford diesel, your RVing experience will be better - that's the long and short of it.

Fact - there are no over-the-road semi-trucks out there powered with gasoline engines. Why? Because diesel does it better. Diesel power works better to power Class A RVs the same as it does to over-the-road trucks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom