Fifthwheel towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Browning42

So we just picked our 5er and brought it home. Everyone says how different towing and backing is. You can not truly appreciate just how different and dare I say easier it is with a 5er! Now if the damn Army would give me some leave life would be good!! Can't wait to use it.

It was a world of difference when we pulled a 5ver for the first time. It soon became second nature though. Now getting the time to use it is something else........

I don't think backing is any 'easier' or 'harder', just 'different'.  As for towing, I (personally) believe it's a world of difference to the positive.  Hooking the unit up is a dream and frankly one of the huge positives for those of us that are getting older and don't wish to deal with the hitch itself anymore.  I really love the remote for hitching, really a nice benny with our SRX.  I'm not banging anyone with a TT, we loved them over the years, just enjoying our 5th Wheel experience even more.

Towing forward is a world of difference. I'd rather back a tongue trailer up, though.

jje1960 said:
I don't think backing is any 'easier' or 'harder', just 'different'.  As for towing, I (personally) believe it's a world of difference to the positive.  Hooking the unit up is a dream and frankly one of the huge positives for those of us that are getting older and don't wish to deal with the hitch itself anymore.  I really love the remote for hitching, really a nice benny with our SRX.  I'm not banging anyone with a TT, we loved them over the years, just enjoying our 5th Wheel experience even more.

"remote for hitching?" pray tell is there something new? details please

steveblonde said:
"remote for hitching?" pray tell is there something new? details please

Steve,
I have a remote which opens all the slides, the awning, the rear stabilizing jacks and the front landing legs. makes it nice when you're sitting in your cab and the RV has to go up or down a little. Much easier than having to get out to make the adjustment.

Rene / Joe - That is correct, the remote has function for raising/lowering the landing gear.  That is in addition to the slides and awning.  Again, really nice not having to exit the vehicle for that adjustment while hitching.

I heard that some Montana's come with memory hitch height.  As I understood it, when the time comes for hitching back a button brings it to the height it had.  Sounded amazing to me.

jje1960 said:
Rene / Joe - That is correct, the remote has function for raising/lowering the landing gear.  That is in addition to the slides and awning.  Again, really nice not having to exit the vehicle for that adjustment while hitching.

Works like a charm, amazes other campers as well.

RVRAC said:
I heard that some Montana's come with memory hitch height.  As I understood it, when the time comes for hitching back a button brings it to the height it had.  Sounded amazing to me.

Have that on our Columbus.  It is the Level Up system.  I have the Andersen hitch so I just raise until I am clear, pull truck away and touch auto level.  When it is time to go I just hit left and right buttons together and it raises back to where I disconnected.  Back truck under and lower onto hitch, raise all landing gear and away we go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom