Fighting Covid 19 is like Whack-a-Mole.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garyb1st

For those of you who are still wondering about your summer plans, listen to the audio file in this article.  https://www.npr.org/transcripts/825179922

The last two or three minutes talk about how differing political opinions and attitudes have effected everyone.  It also suggests, if we can't get beyond those differences, we might all end up paying a huge price. 

garyb1st said:
For those of you who are still wondering about your summer plans, listen to the audio file in this article.  https://www.npr.org/transcripts/825179922

The last two or three minutes talk about how differing political opinions and attitudes have effected everyone.  It also suggests, if we can't get beyond those differences, we might all end up paying a huge price.

We no longer watch the daily task force briefing. It?s just another rally. I watch Gov Cuomo. Clear, concise, factual information without the proverbial aggrandizing. In my opinion one of the biggest problems is too many folks believe everything they hear.

Oldgator73 said:
[/color][/i] In my opinion one of the biggest problems is too many folks believe everything they hear.

Totally agree.  While the Internet is still one of the worst places to do research and often FOS, (full of stuff) usually brown, this guys credentials are pretty good.  That and the fact it's a NPR article gives me a sense it's probably pretty factual.  And while we likely won't know what the real facts are for a long time, on this one, I'm erring on the side of caution.   

All of the briefings and doctors on TV from both sides are just about one thing, getting the public to comply with their agenda, it is not about relaying accurate information.  Just look at the mask or no mask fiasco, where you have all the doctors saying that masks only help medical professionals, and that people on the  street should not be wearing them.    At the same time you see studies showing the Covid-19 spread was half as bad in countries (mostly in Asia) that encouraged mask use, vs those that did not, like most of Europe and the US.

Isaac-1 said:
All of the briefings and doctors on TV from both sides are just about one thing, getting the public to comply with their agenda, it is not about relaying accurate information.  Just look at the mask or no mask fiasco, where you have all the doctors saying that masks only help medical professionals, and that people on the  street should not be wearing them.    At the same time you see studies showing the Covid-19 spread was half as bad in countries (mostly in Asia) that encouraged mask use, vs those that did not, like most of Europe and the US.
Oh the ONLY reason they're saying not to use masks is so that there isn't a shortage. I don't have a medical degree, but obviously if this spread through droplets in the air, sharing breath with another is a prime way to spread it. Even if for some reason the mask doesn't stop the spread that way, I know if you're wearing a mask that you won't have your fingers in your mouth.

lynnmor said:
From NPR that took 75 million from the stimulus bill.

So you're not a big fan of NPR.  That's fine.  The guy that they're interviewing is a Science writer with pretty good credentials. 

Do what you like.  Just keep in mind FOX is home to the guy that suggested the coronavirus is likely another liberal Hoax. 

garyb1st said:
So you're not a big fan of NPR.  That's fine.  The guy that they're interviewing is a Science writer with pretty good credentials. 

Do what you like.  Just keep in mind FOX is home to the guy that suggested the coronavirus is likely another liberal Hoax.

Just keep in mind FOX is the home to the guys and gals that suggested the coronavirus is likely another liberal Hoax.  There I fixed it for you.

garyb1st said:
Just keep in mind FOX is home to the guy that suggested the coronavirus is likely another liberal Hoax.
That quote is inaccurate and has been repeatedly used out of context. The full quote is readily available.

But enough of the politics.

HappyWanderer said:
That quote is inaccurate and has been repeatedly used out of context. The full quote is readily available.

But enough of the politics.

Generally when I see someone and listen to what he or she says, in this case Hannity, I don't check around to see if he actually said it. 

RVMommaTo6 said:
Oh the ONLY reason they're saying not to use masks is so that there isn't a shortage. I don't have a medical degree, but obviously if this spread through droplets in the air, sharing breath with another is a prime way to spread it. Even if for some reason the mask doesn't stop the spread that way, I know if you're wearing a mask that you won't have your fingers in your mouth.

The problem with masks is that they are really designed to be temporary, and disposable. I have seen people carrying a mask around in the pocket, and putting it on when they go into a building, and take it off and put it in their pocket when they come out. Or, they slide it down under their chin, and then pull it back up when they feel the need to do so.
I even watched a nurse, wearing gown and gloves and mask, slide her mask down so she could scratch her nose - with gloved fingers - and then pull the mask back in place with those very same fingers.

If you aren't using the protective gear correctly, there is no point to having it, no matter what you are using it for.

RVMommaTo6 said:

I agree that is the reason they are doing it, but they are not being HONEST about that part, instead they say things like the public is not trained to properly wear masks, ....

p.s. as to wearing masks / respirators, some are disposable, some are not, for example something like this is designed to be worn until the filter starts clogging up, though OSHA guidelines say replace the filter ever 30 days if it needs it or not, of course that is under normal times.

https://www.respiratormaskprotection.com/images/products/respirators/half-mask/north-5500-series-half-mask-respirator.jpg

So why not encourage all those people that have respirators similar to this sitting around in their shed, left over from the last time they were sand blasting, painting, etc. to use them.

Oooohkay folks, everyone got to say their bit. You know where I'm going.... rein it in.

I don't think anybody claimed the masks had zero value - just that wearing one while walking around in your house or out on the street doesn't accomplish much additional protection.  It helps when physically near someone who is contagious and thus has some potential if you must go where virus transmission is more likely.  That might include a crowded supermarket in an area where the infection rate is high, and it surely includes a hospital treating sick people.

My 83 year old sister-in-law, who hasn't been out of her house in 3 weeks and won't even open the door for a grocery delivery, wears a mask 24/7. A clean one every day. That's a waste of a scarce resource.  It wouldn't be a concern if everyone could go to the local drug store and pick up a box of 50 surgical masks, but there are numerous people known to have the symptoms and ought to be wearing a mask to avoid infecting others, but can't get even one.

I think the masks that are effective against the Coronavirus is the M-95. Three hundred thousand (300,000) masks were shipped to California but it was discovered they were surgical masks. Not the same as M-95 mask. Surgical masks do not block the fine droplets that the M-95 does. We are also being told to wear scarves which surely will not keep those droplets from escaping.

And now on top of that the police may take it away from you if they find you have N95 masks, at least in NJ, where the governor has ordered the police to commandeer needed medical supplies, after businesses and individuals did not respond to his call to donate stuff.  https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-nj-gov-orders-state-police-to-commandeer-needed-medical-supplies/  Just what we need another thing to discourage people with masks laying around to not wear them out in public.

Just saw this.  https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/02/metro/boston-hospitals-getting-game-changer-machine-that-sterilizes-80000-protective-masks-day/

This is what I like to read about.  It could in deed be a game changer. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
video7
Back
Top Bottom