Final Questions on New Tow Vehical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
http://www.rvclearinghouse.com/listings/browse/toters-and-trucks/17

They aren't that expensive and why do you need four wheel drive?

We boondock off of paved roads....often in winter. Class 7/8 trucks “suck” on snow and/or ice. We were owner/operators....I hate “throwing chains” every time it gets a bit slick.  A 5er doen’t put weight on the drivers, which compounds an already situation! Note our signature picture....the 4WD Dodge is chained on rear!  The picture was taken...when I was about to remove the chains.

My wife was dead set against a 4x4 four forty years. When we were looking for our TT we did a quick trip to TN with our PUP. After a weekend of slogging through muddy hills and wrestling the PUP into position, my dear wife said "If we going to buy a TT and do this, you will need a 4x4".

We have indeed used it and I doubt we would ever go back to a 2x4. It is not so much the need, as the convenience, when the rear wheels slip, a flick of the switch and you are fine.

For us old timers that remember that switching to a 4x4 meant a gas guzzling, bigger, stronger, better, machine. Well things are not that way. They simply added four wheel drive to a two wheel drive F-150. I actually traded less towing capacity and less max cargo for the increase traction of the 4x4. The ride and day to day mileage is fine. These days if you want bigger, strong you move up to an F-250 etc.   

Safe travels.

I know what you mean about 4 wheel drive.  Around here it is almost impossible to sell a 2 wheel drive truck.  The irony is of course most people who buy  a 4x4 truck really don't need it, heck most of them don't really need a truck at least not the size of the new half tons.  I have owned and driven trucks all of my adult life and never owned a 4X4 and I farm and live in Canada!  A  couple of bags of sand in the bed got me through the winter.
As an old timer I too considered 4 wheel drive trucks as big solid axle buckboards  that were gas hogs and no joy to drive.  As you said boy have things changed, the new ones are amazing some even having an AWD mode which you drive around in all winter! 
I looking forward to having it on my new truck.

hoss10 said:
Oldgator you sound like my type of guy.  We went from tent camping to the absolute decadence of a 24 foot TT.  A bigger trailer is not in the cards for us. I too have always wondered a out the Freightlinner etc. question.  I think up here in Canada at lest it might be a licensing issue (air brakes).  A couple of local farmers have heavy duty truck cabs to pull their 5th wheels and they say they were much cheaper to buy  and work very well.  They sure look cool.

Gas is expensive up here and using a 1 ton  gas truck as a daily driver is a non starter.  One of the appeals of the Ford EB engines is that if you stay off the boost MPG should be quite good for a pick up, especially were I drive flat rural highways .  When you need the power that 3.5 is a torque monster.  We will see how that works out in the long run.  I know several people that have them and sure are fast!

I live in Calgary and drive a F350 diesel a 2017 i have a little escape as a daily driver my Deisel is king in the rockies  900lbs of torque but fuel is expensive here for sure about 30% more than in the us including the exchange rate

Back
Top Bottom