Financing used vs new travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkennedy626

Hello all,  newbie here!  My husband and I decided that we would like to do some seasonal camping. We have two boys (8 & 12),  so would like a bunk area and a queen bed. We looked a new models because a salesman said that they're easier to finance than used. How true is that?  I've been reading a lot on here and see most people suggest used for beginners. We have found some decently sized 2010 models and they are very nice. Any advice is appreciated!

I don't know about easier, but new(er) can generally get financed for a longer term.

I would suggest going with a well-maintained used unit.  You will avoid the steep depreciation of buying new.  You may decide you want a bigger TT or a different floor plan/features after some time actually camping.  You can also get more for your money on the used market. 

Welcome to the forums!

Financing a used model depends somewhat on the age - most lenders won't finance anything over 10 years of age, and a few draw the line at 5. The percentage of the purchase price that can be financed may also be less. The MSRP of a new RV is known so the loan value can be reliably calculated, but market values for used rigs are subject to a lot of variation. Lenders tend to go low on used values to make sure they don't get burned too badly if the loan defaults.  Nothing is written in stone, though.

I've never had a problem financing used RV's. All of mine have been for five years with 10% down.

There's only one reason that a salesman told you that financing a new one is easier...he wanted to make the sale.

Thanks all!  We'll be shopping somewhere else this weekend. We can buy slightly used that looks brand new for half the price. I don't want a 12 year loan! 

jkennedy626 said:
Thanks all!  We'll be shopping somewhere else this weekend. We can buy slightly used that looks brand new for half the price. I don't want a 12 year loan!

Usually there is no prepayment penalty.  If so, you can make larger payments (when best for you) and pay it off sooner.  The interest rates for a longer term loan are slightly higher.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KEC
Back
Top Bottom