Finding a tow-ready toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scotty

You can always post a 'wanted' ad. on Craigslist.  Just specify what you are looking for.  I found my first Honda that way - unfortunately it didn't have a/c (per the other half's insistence)  but it was a really nice, low mileage car, so I re-sold it.  The good thing about the 'wanted' ad.  is that you can put in as many vehicles you are interested in and let the sellers contact you.  It doesn't matter if the Craigslist is located some distance away.  Sellers living near you will also post if that's the only site available in the area.   

BT

Perhaps I/we could impose on those of you who have recently performed this operation. I just got off the phone with the local Campers World, Parts and labor to 'Toad' my 2005 Saturn Ion with a standard tranny. Right at $4000.00! I knew the dollar had lost value but it did seem HIGH.

A list of References to source would be good!
thx
hop

Several thousand dollars is pretty common from what I've read, for converting certain vehicles to tow-ready status... and does that even include the supplemental braking system (Brake Buddy or similar)?  That price tag is one of the many reasons I opted to spend under $400 for a used tow dolly instead.  I don't know the specifics on your Ion, but read the owner's manual on "how to tow" and see what it says, make sure CW isn't trying to charge you for parts or labor that isn't needed.

I have towed 2 Saturns. A2002 SL2, I found used tow brackets for $250. We now have a 2007 Ion. I couldf not find used brackets so I bought new for $398 on line.  My Blue Ox towbar  I got on E bay for $259 and Brake buddy for $450.

Tony

If you want new stuff go to PPL Motorhomes you can find them using the websearch and I am sure the prices are far lower then you will need to either install yourself or find someone who can help you.

$4000 is high for a standard transmission Ion, which requires no mods to tow.  Even at MSRP (no discount), the very best tow bar package is around $795, base plates about $350-400, aux brake system around $1200 and light hook-up materials around $30. Add a generous amount for a whole day of labor ($960) and we are still talking $3400 + tax. I would expect a good shop could do it for around $3000 or even a bit less.

Camping World is very high priced on the good Roadmaster All Terrain tow bars - they get $1000-$1200 for the same ones that others sell for around $750 or even less.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom