Finding propane on the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a gas station just about a mile north of the Circle Something (I can't remember the last name) RV park on the south end of Seaside. It has propane there against the fence.

There's also a weigh station that has the scales on between Seaside and Warrenton, maybe 5 miles north of Seaside.

Ken

Getting the propane tank refilled is probably the #1 annoyance of my fulltiming life.  It doesn't have to occur very often, but it's almost always somewhere I've never been before.  And if I'm traveling, I have the toad behind my 40-foot motorhome, further complicating matters.

Some RV parks can refill onboard tanks, but their price per gallon is often pretty high.  A couple of weeks ago, the RV park in New Hampshire wanted $5/gallon. 

I've found that U-Haul places aren't all that easily maneuverable in a big rig, especially with a toad.  Some RV dealers have propane; I got a good price, with easy access, at Baydo RV in Chehalis, Washington, a couple of years ago.  And for the record, I noticed a surprising number of gas stations that had non-automotive propane in the Pacific Northwest, and they often had the price posted out front.

Flying J has always been my back-up plan, but it's annoying because a lot of the time the propane is with the RV pumps in front (not in the "truck" part of the lot) AND you have to go through the RV pumps backwards. 

For future reference (since there aren't any locations in Oregon), here's a website that lists Tractor Supply locations that have propane (not all do):

http://www.tractorsupply.com/content_landing-page_propane#get-your-tank-filled

I know that some can fill onboard tanks, but not necessarily all.  And access by a big rig might be difficult in some locations.  But it's a start. 

There's also this website:  http://www.altfuelprices.com

I've updated it whenever I've found propane, including a comment if they will fill onboard propane tanks, but I think I'm the only RVer who has ever done that.  I wish it would catch on.

Why the 100 mile limit? Still 10 days will put you in San Diego. I usually don't drive over 250-300 a day my self. I don't have to be in a hurry.
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
Why the 100 mile limit?

'Cause I fall asleep. (You don't go very far once that happens.  :) )

WILDEBILL308 said:
Still 10 days will put you in San Diego. I usually don't drive over 250-300 a day my self. I don't have to be in a hurry.

I never thought about it like that, but I'm like Judy, in that I wouldn't want to do that every day. So SD would be more like 20 days away.

The unfortunate thing is that I kind-of AM in a hurry. I still work, and travel days put a dent in that, big-time.

I'm still figuring this out, clearly. I thought once I started this, I would move with the weather. Now it feels more like I just want to be able to move every 3 weeks, but not very far.

Catch up with me in a year, after I'm tired of all the places I hang out in now  :). Maybe by then I WILL be in San Diego!

Karen

When starting to need propane we usually just Google propane stations and that brings up Suburban, Ferrellgas, Amerigas and other large nationwide suppliers (Monday-Friday!) if an RV park isn't convenient.  I also just found this directory of alternative fuel sources which right now has propane 1,521 locations.  http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/propane_locations.html

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom