Firearm Storage - Port Huron, Mi area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Bill N
Your post was locked and it was understandable the way it was going. Hopefully me starting this post is OK with Tom. Please let us know what you end up by doing with your gun. I'm sure others are really interested of the outcome. Im going to Alaska this spring and I've wondered what to do with my gun just like you.  I was told that I could mail it to a gun shop in Alaska and they would hold it for me. Your situation is a little different than mine.  Hey guys and gals, let's stay on the subject.  ;)

PS, Tom if you lock this thread, It's OK.  :)

Rene depending on what type of gun you want to take, you may be able to take it with you through Canada.  Bill said he has a .38 which I assume has a barrel less than 4 " making that not an option for him, but longer barreled handguns and long arms can be admitted.

This is an interesting and informative article on Canadian gun laws:  http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

Has anyone ever filled out this form and entered Canada with a gun legally?

We used to hunt geese in Canada before the restrictions took effect.  We did hunt one year and filled out the form to get our shotguns into Canada and it wasn't too bad of a process.  Never tried to get handguns accross.  Decided to quit hunting there due to filling out the forms and extra process. 

Wow, there is generally a solution for these dilemmas, but in doing a Google Search I turned up nothing. So I looked at storage units, and wondered if a month long rental fee for a small storage unit might not fit the bill. There are several in the Port Huron area, and a few with the security I would seek out.

Just thinking.

Our travel companions got a long gun permit (for a shot gun) when we visited Canada & Alaska in 2002. The reason stated was self-protection while fishing in wilderness areas (which we did a lot of). Process was simple enough - fill out a form and pay the modest fee. However, it caused a more thorough inspection at the border whenever we re-entered Canada, which occurred3-4 times during the summer journey as we zig-zagged between Canada and Alaska. Apparently they wanted to see that only the declared gun was on board, both their coach and ours. Only a minor thing, though.

Just For Fun said:
This is an interesting and informative article on Canadian gun laws:  http://canada.usembassy.gov/traveling_to_canada/bringing-weapons-into-canada.html

This spells it out and is very informative. Thanks.

Well, I will just summarize with the various ideas I came up with in that thread and my final solution (not much of a solution).
1.  The most likely solution is a pawn shop or storage unit.  I was going to start calling pawn shops when the wife reminded me that we depart Canada on a Sunday and there would not be any gun shops, pawn shops or banks open on Sunday. The trip schedule is pretty much set in concrete because of obligations we have in several places so the Sunday departure can't be changed.
2.  Then I started checking out mailing it to myself at my son's house in Minnesota and here is what I came up with:
    a,  USPS will NOT ship a handgun - PERIOD (Not legally anyway)
    b.  FED EX and UPS will ship handguns but  it has to be to a licensed firearm dealer.  Fed Law allows shipping to yourself in another state as long as the package is not opened on the other end by anyone other than you HOWEVER, Fed Ex and UPS both have policies prohibiting this and even if they ship to a licensed dealer, it has to be shipped priority overnight which is a very costly proposition.
3.  Soooooo barring any miracle solutions, my final plan is just to leave the darn thing at home and keep the short baseball bat handy.  Also, will not travel at night (don't do that anyway) and will only stay in RV parks and not rest areas or Walmarts (but I do think Walmarts have better security than a lot of other places).

I really thank all who particpated in the thread for providing a bunch of good ideas and I'm sorry the thread had to get locked but I agree with Tom on that.

I wonder how full-timers handle this problem (with Canada specifically).  Long guns can be taken into Canada with approval and proper paperwork but I traded my long gun for the .38 so that is not available.

Bill N said:
2.  Then I started checking out mailing it to myself at my son's house in Minnesota and here is what I came up with:
    a,  USPS will NOT ship a handgun - PERIOD (Not legally anyway)

Not an assembled gun.

Check with USPS on shipping gun PARTS. You may be able to disassemble the gun and ship PARTS in two or three separate packages. A revolver without a cylinder is no longer a gun. Just a part.

If USPS allows that then you could send it to yourself at your son's.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Not an assembled gun.

Check with USPS on shipping gun PARTS. You may be able to disassemble the gun and ship PARTS in two or three separate packages. A revolver without a cylinder is no longer a gun. Just a part.

If USPS allows that then you could send it to yourself at your son's.

Technically the frame alone is still considered a firearm, according the BATFE. The cylinder alone would be ok, but the frame/receiver of any revolver, pistol, rifle or shotgun is still considered a firearm even if it's stripped bare.

Bill N - Thanks for a good summary of what you've learned.  This is indeed a subject of interest to many RVers.  I hope you'll report back AFTER your trip and let us know what you actually did and how it all turned out.  Thanks!

ArdraF

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom