Firearms in your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Johnnybgood said:
No one will ever know that I have a gun with or on me. Those of us who take this seriously, do not brag, swagger, or try to intimidate others. We quietly go about our day just like everyone else. If push comes to shove, we will take the push and the shove. Indeed even being knocked down and spit on and get up and walk away if possible. Because we realize that to reach for that weapon for anything other then defense of our lives, or the lives of others is unacceptable. We hold ourselves to a higher degree of responsibility. No offense, but that $100,000+ RV could one day be a neon sign beckoning that criminal who wants what you have and isn't concerned about your safety.

I respect and applaud your perspective on this.  I for one would feel safer rather than threatened if you were camping next to me.  Such is not the case with many who carry weapons.  I get really concerned with statements frequently made in threads such as this which echo themes such as:

* I won't take no cr*p from anyone....
* My gun goes where I go (including the driver's seat where stories are told of pointing it at rowdy guys perceived to be harrassing them)...
* I've had to pull my gun many times to keep tense situations from escalating...
* If your gun is locked and unloaded... you are not prepared...

These are just a sample of real paraphrased statements made on this and other forums regarding this topic.  I'm with Mallard in that I have never in my life been in a situation which would cause me to even think about pulling a gun so to some extent I'm sure one's life experiences shape their views on this but....

JMHO

Rick

JohnnyBGoods post is very similar to my way of thinking. Weapons are a tool to be used in the right place at the right time.

I've been to many fires in my 31 year career that people were not comfortable using a fire extinguisher on. They simply abandoned the area, and while there is nothing wrong with that approach, sometimes there was a large price to pay for leaving, because they left loved ones inside. Some people had to abandoned loved ones inside because fire extinguishers, hoses, etc. weren't available. Even though at the time they were willing to make an attempt at putting out the fire, they didn't have the resources. And some made a poor decision to use extinquishers at situations where they could not make a difference at and lost their lives because of it. And lastly, some people never even realize the danger they are in. How many people refuse to evacuate when ordered to at large events?

Most people will never see a situation where a weapon in needed. Most people will never see a situation where a fire extinquisher is needed. If you are comfortable that dialling 911 for emergencies is adequate, then you need neither weapons or fire extinquishers.

Some see situations where weapons or fire extinguishers are needed and are capable of making good decisions regarding their use. The key for me is knowing where I feel comfortable. Do I know how to use the tool properly, have control of myself, and am I able to read the situation properly. Because you aren't comfortable taking the hose and crawling into the burning building doesn't mean that others shouldn't.

For the most part, I agree with bucks2 except...it is not too likely that a fire extinguisher is going to cause a fire accidentally, even in the hands of the untrained.

Molaker said:
And here's mine...I'm 68 yrs old and have traveled the world, even worked in Taiwan and in Mexico and so far, the only handgun I have ever owned was a .22 cal CO2 pistol - Oh wait, that's not true.  I "carried" a .38 special while I was a small town marshal for about a year as part of the job.  Regardless, I have never found a need for deadly protection.  Too bad so many people feel otherwise.

Amen!  I'm glad I'm not the only one with this conviction. I've never owned a gun and likely never will.

Fire extinguisher won't start a fire on purpose.  Analogy doesn't work.  I know what you are saying though, and like anything, from a gun to a power saw to the ginsu knives in the drawer.  need to be stored properly, treated with respect.  Fire extinguishers if handled improperly can hurt, how about a child pulling the trigger on a CO2?  Or even the dry, if aimed at their face, I don't know what could happen. 

I had never felt the need for a firearm until a couple years ago, getting ready to get on the road and not knowing where we may end up.  Rather have one and never need it than not have one and need it. 

Orick, Unfortunately there are those who think that having a gun gives them the ability to not take C***p from anybody and other situations like that. IF someone is using a gun to bolster their manhood they need to rethink why they have one. As far as pulling a gun to keep a tense situation from getting worse it would depend on the situation. If I am faced with 4 or more individuals who are threatening harm to my wife and myself I will not let them get close enough to follow through. In these situations just pulling your weapon is enough to get most criminal types to decide the grass is greener elsewhere. If I am just getting a verbal dressing down by someone who thinks they have been slighted, then no that is not a situation for pulling a weapon. Those who do are opening themselves up for some serious consequences. I understand many do not feel comfortable with firearms. That is the great thing about America. If you don't want one don't get one.

Johnnybgood said:
I understand many do not feel comfortable with firearms. That is the great thing about America. If you don't want one don't get one.

And let's keep it this way.  Not if you don't want one, nobody gets one. 

Actually, I have been impressed. This is one subject that can bring out the worst in some people, but the conversation here as been nothing but civil. 

Johnnybgood said:
Actually, I have been impressed. This is one subject that can bring out the worst in some people, but the conversation here as been nothing but civil.

Very true.  It's a good discussion with a lot of good information.

Rick

There is one issue that I haven't seen on this forum. In some states, ammo is an issue, particularly in the north eastern states. Hollow point ammo may be restricted. In some states/cities/countys mere possession is a crime. When you check the firearms laws, check the ammo laws as well. I use Federal, Hydroshock, Personal Defense Ammo. That's a brand name for their hollow points.

I also use Glasser Safety Ammo. More effective and more expensive than hollow points. It's a fragmenting ammo, that stops quickly in the target or breaks up upon hitting hard surfaces like the wall or a window of an RV. Less likely to penetrate and endanger innocent people. I don't know that it is legal, everywhere. Fragmenting ammo is something I would think the "banners" would want to ban. Don't know. Calling it "Safety Ammo" sounds good, so maybe it is less of a problem or maybe none at all.

Ray D  :)

Ammo is getting a little scarce too.  Try to buy 38 special.  Must be the most popular out there.  I have been to Cabellas and found empty shelves.  Lots of new regulations and ideas on it. 

Pancake Bill: try small independent gun stores. I've had better luck there, myself. .38 special has been problematic for more than two years. "Hoarding," in fear of the Federal Government, is a big part of the problem and .38 is very popular.

Ray D  :(

I have, and bought some there.  Since I am away from home state I can't buy a handgun without all sorts of hoopla.  Unreal the laws regarding, you would think the 3-day plus a CC permit would be enough.  I can buy here, then they have to ship to my shop in FL who can then send back to me.  Craziness. 

You can buy firearms at gun shows, but the same laws apply as when purchased from any gun dealer.
In your home state, the seller must first get a legal background check before sellling the firearm to you.
You cannot buy any firearm at a gun show (or dealer) for any other person (illegal "Straw Purchase").
If you buy away from your home state, the same background check is required but the firearm must be shipped to a licences dealer in your home state for delivery.
In other words, there is no Gun Show loophole.

A trucker that was "packin" saved my life one night while going to work. Four "gentlemen" got out of their car in front of me and were threatening to have a little fun, trucker convinced them otherwise. Short story I'm packing now. Just because Disney is in the backyard doesn't mean everyone is like mickey mouse.

Rancher, I figured as much, but I hear offhanded comments about the gun shows.  I suppose it is not that big a deal.  Never been to a show, is there any advantage?  Better pricing?  Free red tape?  (shipping out and back)

Come out to the wild west - Arizona - no permit, no training - heck if its made in Arizona, no background check. Oh you have to be a citizen and not a convicted felon, but then nobody is checking.

ken

Back
Top Bottom