Firefox 6.... not an emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carson, I'll send you the brain implant kit tomorrow :)

My occasional longer messages are a small attempt to upload some of that knowledge.

Carson, I'll send you the brain implant kit tomorrow :)

Looking forward to it. Please don't send it C.O.D.  Do you take pay pal?  :D

Carson

Ned said:
There have been very few noticeable changes from version 4, to 5, to 6, to 7 beta, which I'm now using.  The version numbers are meaningless to the user and most won't notice any changes on the surface.  Even all my add ons are all working exactly as they did 3 versions ago.  The new release schedule is to get security and bug fixes, as well as new, tested, features out to the users quickly.  No more waiting a year as we did for version 4 :)

Google has been doing the exact same thing with Chrome all along and most users haven't noticed it.  My Chrome is version 15 :)

Unfortunately some of the add ons do not work. The last update 4 to 5 disabled quit a few and the 5 to 6 version will disable a few more. This will require updates to those programs simply to work with Firefox's fast version release. Just seems that I spend a lot of time and my limited bandwidth getting Firefox and related add ons up to speed. If I continue with Firefox I will be doing it all over again in less then six weeks when Firefox 7 is released.

Firefox, in my opinion, achieved it's market share of the browser users by making add ons available to personalize Firefox to your specific needs. Now they seem to going the other direction.

I'm in the process of taking a different approach and use only one add on with Chrome, which by the way seems to a lot faster then the no add ons Firefox. Perhaps it's just a perception because I've not used Chrome in a long time.

In the end it's all up to the individual and how much time they are willing to spend on setting up rather then just using the Internet.

Install the Addon Compatibility Reporter and it will make nearly all addons compatible with the latest version(s) of Firefox.  I only had 1 or 2 that worked with FF3 and didn't work with FF4-7.  And those weren't real important addons, for me.  I'm on the beta channel and haven't done anything to my addons for the last 3 updates, other than see that they updated if offered.

Mozilla has made an addon toolkit available for the addon authors and if they use it, compatibility won't be a problem for 99% of them and for the few remaining, they'll have plenty of warning to fix their code.

Ned,

I'm aware of the Addon Compatibility Reporter and installed it on the 4 to 5 update of Firefox, still it required the update of two programs that I use. Not that updates are a bad thing just time consuming when my connection speed is slow, which it seems to be most of the time because of my unexplained need to be in remote locations. I am not at the end of the earth but I can see it from here. The price I pay for this is connection speeds in the low 1x on Verizon.

You must be using the "Beta" version of Chrome as the latest release version is 13.0.782.215 m. As a former Beta tester for several programs I'm afraid my appetite for "beta" programs has been long quenched.

I am setting up Chrome using just two add ons that I can't live without, AdBloc Plus and Flashblock. I am attempting to use scripts of my own to do the rest without the need for updating no matter the version or flavor of the default browser. With a little more experience on Windows 7 I may even be able to drop those two.

Stan

Stan, I like to live on the bleeding edge, sometimes :)  Actually, I'm on the Chrome Development channel, one ahead of the beta channel.  I haven't had too many Firefox addon updates since FF5 and the ones I do use seem to be stable now.  I don't think I could live with 1X speeds anymore.  Even my 1Mbs satellite link seems slow at times, especially SSL connections that don't benefit from the HughesNet proxy.

Ned:

Being back on the road this summer with MotoSat speeds is a bummer after cable at Happy Trails.

I'll just bet it is!  At the lot, I have access to 2 neighbor's DSL lines when I really need speed or bandwidth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom