First night in our new motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTTransplant

We paid the big check yesterday, and we now own a motorhome! It is still in the dealer?s campground because we decided to add some fan covers and because the Jeep toad updates weren?t finished. We did spend the night in it though, and we have almost everything we brought out away. Some of the stuff, particularly in the kitchen, are in rather odd places until we figure out an organization strategy, but it is at least mostly clear. Lily seems to like the windows a lot, and she stopped hiding under the bed once the guy doing our PDI left. As others have said, John at Sherman RV is great! Patient and orderly, he showed us how to use all the new gizmos that travel trailers done have. We leave later today for another campground, just hanging around Mississippi until a driving lesson on Friday and Saturday. We will start heading (gradually) back to Iowa Sunday or Monday.

Side note: Why do new motorhomes comes with six pillows on the bed, just for decoration? They take up so much room! Salvation Army is going to get at least 4-5 of them.

Congrats on your new rig. I am still looking for ours. The extra pillows are probably for the sleeper sofas, if you have any or perhaps decorations like you suggested.

Congratulations on your new coach! Gotta love a spanking new motor home. 

We will finally be able to spend the night in our new coach this weekend, I've owned it for 5 weeks now.  8). Although I did sleep in it parked in my driveway.

Congratulations!  It is a great feeling to get a fresh start in a new MH -especially if your first MH (as in our case).  Like John we haven't been out in an actual camping trip in ours yet but that will change later this month and we are excited about it.

I wonder if you had the experience we had when we unloaded our 5er and discovered a good 60% of the crap we took out of it we never used and didn't need!  LOL  Our MH will be a lot less "loaded".

Enjoy the trip and be safe!

UTTransplant said:
Side note: Why do new motorhomes comes with six pillows on the bed, just for decoration? They take up so much room! Salvation Army is going to get at least 4-5 of them.

Congratulations on your new motorhome.  May you have many enjoyable and safe miles in it.

As for the pillows, that is a sore subject with me because I tried to convince Chrystal to get rid of them when we bought our current coach 11 years ago.  Monaco had so many damn pillows and all I felt like I was doing was moving them from bedroom to front at night and then back in the morning. :mad:  FINALLY, during our last outing last month she bagged them up and said she was storing them at home and I did a happy dance. ;D

Mike

SeilerBird said:
Congratulations on the new rig. Where are the photos? Lily will own the RV within a week. :))
Lily already owns it. She thinks the windows are wonderful since they are not only more numerous and bigger than the ones in the trailer, but they have ledges she can sit on while looking out. She also has discovered the tiny hole to get behind the bed storage. Gonna have to block that up somehow for sure.
zmotorsports said:
As for the pillows, that is a sore subject with me because I tried to convince Chrystal to get rid of them when we bought our current coach 11 years ago.  Monaco had so many damn pillows and all I felt like I was doing was moving them from bedroom to front at night and then back in the morning. :mad:  FINALLY, during our last outing last month she bagged them up and said she was storing them at home and I did a happy dance. ;D
Actually I understated the pillows - there are 8 of them! None of them useful for sleeping, just decoration. Right now two monster pillows are stuffed under the bed, and the other 6 are on the sofa. Six total will definitely be heading to Salvation Army as soon as we get back. I like to coordinate sofa pillows with the seasons, just to have some nice variety and color. These are just black, cream, and shades of gray.
FenderP said:
I wonder if you had the experience we had when we unloaded our 5er and discovered a good 60% of the crap we took out of it we never used and didn't need!  LOL  Our MH will be a lot less "loaded".
We aren?t quite at 60%, but we did find a number of things that had been stored in back corners and cupboards that were pretty useless!

Congratulations on your new RV!

Lucky you....you guys missed all of the nasty weather/rain/flash flooding while you were gone (I work in Waterloo).

Safe travels!

Spring Creek said:
Congratulations on your new RV!

Lucky you....you guys missed all of the nasty weather/rain/flash flooding while you were gone (I work in Waterloo).

Safe travels!

But you need to hurry back to Iowa as we are going to have the hottest weather of the year so far this weekend!

We have a new construction house in Cedar Falls with a sodded lawn. All the rain is doing wonders for it, but I could do without the heat! I did tell my son to check the sump pump, just in case though. We are now in Mississippi, headed to Alabama so I don?t think Iowa could be worse. The temps will probably determine how slowly we make it back home.

New Tiffin, congrats.
I'm curious.... did you find any little issues taht you missed during your PDI that will need to be addressed under warranty?

When we bought ours, we didn't stay at the dealer.  It was Saturday and I don't believe they weren't open the next day anyway...but if I ever do buy another one, I plan on trying to stay that first night in it at the dealer and with a standing service bay appointment to fix anything found.... sort of like a sleep-over PDI. I didn't know that at the time.  We stayed at a state park sorta near by but not really close.  I did an extremely thorough PDI but still found a few things that first night.

FenderP said:
.......I wonder if you had the experience we had when we unloaded our 5er and discovered a good 60% of the crap we took out of it we never used and didn't need!  LOL  Our MH will be a lot less "loaded"......

for a while...just give it time my friend, you will load it up again.  i think it's just human nature.

We had a similar experience moving from our little pop-up

blw2 said:
for a while...just give it time my friend, you will load it up again.  i think it's just human nature.

Haha.  I'm afraid you're right, but we will fight hard!  The 60% was NOT an exaggeration.  So sad.

I took the entire Decor Package, bagged it up and stuck it all in a closet.  I have half a room of stuff left over from our previous coach. I still have one empty storage bay after going through everything I once had to have.

Congrads, Pam -- I think you'll like that a lot.

Side note: Why do new motorhomes comes with six pillows on the bed, just for decoration? They take up so much room!

I haven't figured any other reason, but they all seem to have that. Fancy spreads, mirrors, etc. etc. all just to make it look fancy -- perhaps they think that's what sells them.

Deb was just asking me about the factory bedspread for ours. We will never use it, and can't decide if it's worth it to give to the next owner

blw2 said:
New Tiffin, congrats.
I'm curious.... did you find any little issues taht you missed during your PDI that will need to be addressed under warranty?

When we bought ours, we didn't stay at the dealer.  It was Saturday and I don't believe they weren't open the next day anyway...but if I ever do buy another one, I plan on trying to stay that first night in it at the dealer and with a standing service bay appointment to fix anything found.... sort of like a sleep-over PDI. I didn't know that at the time.  We stayed at a state park sorta near by but not really close.  I did an extremely thorough PDI but still found a few things that first night.

I highly recommend staying overnight. In fact, we are now staying two nights! The Sirius antenna cable has been messed up, and they had to go to Tiffin to get a new one today. We also had trouble with the AirForce One system install in the Grand Cherokee. The first day we got started late, just because of various staffing issues. So far we have had a Dish antenna cabling installed in addition to the DirectTV standard plus a drawer that wasn?t installed right and a screw incorrectly installed on the ladder. I also added two vent covers I hadn?t thought to order originally. We still can?t find the connection to the CB antenna, but they expect the lead PDI guy to find it tomorrow <grin>. We can see the antenna itself, but no one can find the cable! Thank goodness we didn?t have a hard schedule for the next week or two. We can stay long enough to get stuff fixed before leaving.

Pam & Kevin:
  Congrats on the new rig.  Quite a step up from what you had when we were in Yosemite.  Many happy miles!  I'm hoping we will get the opportunity to see it in Death Valley.  That's still on our radar for early November.

Best,

Steve

So great to see you excited about the new coach.  Wishing you many safe and happy times in it.

My Motor home came with just 2 Pillows.

Staying the 1st night (or 2) in the Dealer's Campground is an excellent Idea.. That way if you find somehting the Pre Delivery Inspection missed.. You are darn right close to the dealer.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom