First post from another new guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flydude92

This time last year my wife and I purchased a 2003 Winnebago Minnie 329B. We have three young kids and didn't plan to purchase one but my
sister wanted to sell hers at a very good deal so we bought it. It's in very good shape. The roof was very well sealed with no signs of leaking.
One reason we got it so cheap is the fuel pump died in their driveway and it sat there for six months. Estimates for the fuel pump were $2000-$2500.

Soooooooo I flew to Florida from northeast Ohio and spent a week in sunny Florida (loved it) in March to replace the pump. Cost me $200. I drove it
home. Since it sat for 6 months the generator wouldn't start. I was able to get that working by cleaning the carburetor. I also installed heavy duty sway
bars to give it a more stable ride. Took it on a few short trips last year and really enjoyed it.
I did minor maintenance on a few items including the water heater, cabin heater and water pump.
I have a problem with broken screws that hold the awning rail in place. I read a couple threads here regarding the problem but there doesn't seem to be
any activity in the last few years on those threads so I will start a new one.

One of the first things I found out was to learn how all the systems work, figure out how to fix them and do it myself.
I went to three different RV repair places locally with three simple questions to see what their reaction would be. All three wanted me to make a list of
questions, make an appointment and pay $105 per hour. So like everything else I own it will be repaired and maintained by me.

It never occurred to us that we would join the RV community but after a chance purchase we are
now hooked.

Brian

Ha! Welcome to our little community. Since you've already been perusing the site you've already learned that there's a lot of valuable information here. It's good that you're a problem solver because it seems that's what RVing is all about.
Bob

Welcome to THE RV FORUM.

You are in for some swell times and will create memories that will last those kids a lifetime. 

Your ability to do repairs yourself will prove to be a great advantage.  Our library contains a wealth of reference materials and forum members enjoy answering questions and providing advice. 

Participation in our many discussions is strongly urged.  Not only will you gain new RV friends, you will pick up a lot of good RV knowledge.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! I applaud you for jumping in there a replacing the fuel pump! And, glad that it was actually the problem. Kudos! I hate when I read on my other forums that a guy has throw numerous parts at something. You & the family will make many great memories in that RV.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

prfcdoc:            I have been looking for months for information relating to broken screws on the awning rail and I found it here.
                          It's great when someone takes the time to document their experiences to help someone else.

geodrake:          The kids are definitely having a lot of fun. Image how surprised they were when I came home with an RV. They had no warning.
                          I?ve learned so much in the last few days on this site. Does this mean in a year or two I will know everything about RV?s?  ;D

danajdelarosa:  We have two girls 12 and 4 and a 10 year old boy. No pets. The kids keep us busy enough.  :)

99dart:              I do a pretty good diagnosing problems but I have been wrong a few times although it is always cheaper than paying someone else.

Once I get a plan together and the temperatures warm up I will start the thread on replacing the screws on the awning rail and also replace the awning
since it is way overdue. The information is already on this site thanks to a few members but I will put it in one place and add my experience to it.
Hopefully it's a good one.

Your sister might be thinking...
Why didn't I call him to come fix this mess rather than call him to come buy it?  ::)

Since you can and do your own work, you will have oodles of fun with the RV and get a lot of bang for the buck.

Bob Livingston wrote some great books about RV repair that have been invaluable to me. These books are out of print, but not out of style.

I was able to snatch one up used on amazon and another I recently found at an RV park's semi-annual yard sale.  8) For older RV's that haven't gone completely high tech, these books are invaluable with tons of useful information that have saved me a bundle.

Amazon has his manuals available used:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=RV+bob+livingston&rh=n:283155,k:RV+bob+livingston

While I am not near as handy as you are, I have tackled some repairs myself, others I've done a ton of research tying to figure things out so I could try to get help or in some cases figure out work around solutions on how to avoid a $2500 repair with $10 in parts and a few hours in sweat.

I have a friend that helps me out that knows nothing about RV's but we have both lived in far flung ports on boats afloat and think outside the box. We're kind of used to cobbling things together and making them work.

My body is failing rapidly and there are times I know what needs to be done and can't do it. I describe  to him my wacky idea for repairing or upgrading or adding something and he takes my idea,  jumps in and gets it done. Other times I round up the parts needed for whatever I am trying to repair, then at least when I find a repairman, I just need the labor, the parts are ready to go.

Other times I have to call for professional help. Some appreciate that I can rattle off everything I've tried so far or everything I've found out to date and others are wildly intimidated and will duplicate all my previous efforts again before realizing UM, that didn't work...

Sometimes being armed with a tiny bit of knowledge can save one a lot of money.  ;D

Sounds like you are able to avoid all this foolishness and just get it done yourself.

Congratulations!  :))

Attachments

• RV Repair & Maintenance Manual.jpg
    RV Repair & Maintenance Manual.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3
  • RV Repair and Maintenance Manual.jpg
    RV Repair and Maintenance Manual.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 2
Hi and welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you are already having some great experiences.  The US is a wonderful country and there is certainly a lot to see.  RVing is the best way I think.

Good luck with your awning and safe travels.

DearMissMermaid said:
Your sister might be thinking...
Why didn't I call him to come fix this mess rather than call him to come buy it?  ::)

Bob Livingston wrote some great books about RV repair that have been invaluable to me. These books are out of print, but not out of style.

I did offer to come and fix the RV for her but she needed to sell it due to the costs of keeping it going and her limited budget since retirement.

I just picked up the books you suggested and should receive them soon.

Thanks for the information, I didn't know the books existed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom