First RV. Have questions (2005 Granite Ridge)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jangelj

We just got our first RV. A 2005 Granite Ridge by Jayco. So far we love it. I have questions though and will probably have more as time goes on.

First. T here are little lights inside the stairs that won't light up. This is not the yellow light under the automatic steps, this is inside the RV. Is there a trick to these?  I have tried all switches. With steps disabled, enabled, etc. Before I open them up I wanted to make sure there wasn't a trick to them

Second. My propane tank is behind a storage door but there is nothing under it to protect it from road debris.  Should I put something under it? 

Next,  in the box of manuals there is a manual for an inverter. Do RVs typically have an inverter installed so there is 110 power somewhere while driving?  I haven't seen an inverter but it may be mounted somewhere hidden. If there isn't one, is there a typical way folks hook one up so the kids can charge their devices while I drive? 

Welcome.
I can't help you with the first two questions, but concerning the last...

I believe an inverter might have been an option. Or maybe installed by a previous owner. I have owned 2 Jaycos (still in one) and they were options for me. I'm making a guess that the inverter would be installed somewhat close to your house batteries.

Second. My propane tank is behind a storage door but there is nothing under it to protect it from road debris.  Should I put something under it? 

No. The propane compartment must remain open for ventilation.

Leave the propane floor open.  If you have a leak, propane is heavier than air, so the propane will escape through the open floor.

By definition, an INVERTER takes 12VDC  from thee batteries, inverts the direct current and supplies 120VAC to the camper.  Generally, it will feed most or all plugs.  HOWEVER remember the batteries can only supply limited amounts of power, based on the size of the batteries.  Running lights, charging toys or watching TV should be okay.  Microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer - probably not!

To complete the picture, a CONVERTER takes 120VAC and converts it to 12VDC to charge the batteries and supply power to 12VDC stuff.

Also note, the refrigerator (propane or 120V), A/C and furnace require 12V power for their control panels.  Often Refer or furnace issues are traced to dead batteries or bad converters / chargers.

Ahh gotcha. So what do most of you do to charge electronics and phones while driving?  I don't need all the outlets working. Just one or two. I suppose I could just wire up a couple cigarette outlets in the back for the kids to charge that way. Could probably even tie in to the engine battery.

I fixed the little lights by the door.  They weren't even connected!  White wire to each was tied together and run to ground. Green wires of both lights were just connected to each other! No connection to positive at all. Weird. I wired them in with the yellow light under the automatic steps so they turn on when you open the door.

Jangelj said:
Ahh gotcha. So what do most of you do to charge electronics and phones while driving?  I don't need all the outlets working. Just one or two. I suppose I could just wire up a couple cigarette outlets in the back for the kids to charge that way. Could probably even tie in to the engine battery.

I fixed the little lights by the door.  They weren't even connected!  White wire to each was tied together and run to ground. Green wires of both lights were just connected to each other! No connection to positive at all. Weird. I wired them in with the yellow light under the automatic steps so they turn on when you open the door.
I charge everything while I am sleeping.

Jangelj said:
So what do most of you do to charge electronics and phones while driving? 

More 12V sockets
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-4-Way-12V-Automotive-Socket-Extender/29764707

or

4 USB power sockets
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-4-Port-USB-Car-Charger/43920726

Plug everything into the "cigarette lighter".

The engineer in me cringes at the idea of inverting 12V DC from the engine compartment into 120V AC in the "house" then converting back into 5V DC for the phones and such.

srs713 said:
More 12V sockets
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-4-Way-12V-Automotive-Socket-Extender/29764707

or

4 USB power sockets
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-4-Port-USB-Car-Charger/43920726

Plug everything into the "cigarette lighter".

The engineer in me cringes at the idea of inverting 12V DC from the engine compartment into 120V AC in the "house" then converting back into 5V DC for the phones and such.

I agree. It doesn't make sense to go 12v to 110 v to 5v. But, Id like a cleaner solution than running cables from the cigarette lighter to the  house in back. Gotta figure a way to get a 12v receptacle in back.

It sounds like all you want is a low-load 12v outlet for charging cell phones and such. Is there a convenient place in the back to install 1-2 12v cigarette lighter type power outlets that can be easily wired into a 12v supply? 

Just an idea....do you have a TV in the rear area and is it a 12v unit? If so, if it has it's own 12v outlet, maybe you can tap into that or use some type of splitter that plugs into a cigarette lighter and gives you 2 or more additional 12v receptacles.

denmarc...sounds like we were thinking along the same lines at the same time..

srs713 said:
I don't see why that would bother you. It doesn't hurt anything and it doesn't cost anything. It is no big deal.

SeilerBird said:
I don't see why that would bother you. It doesn't hurt anything and it doesn't cost anything. It is no big deal.

Depends on if the coach has an inverter installed. Upon research, a 400W inverter was an option. Maybe it has one, maybe it doesn't. Also, maybe a previous owner installed one somewhere in the RV. If none of the previous scenarios apply, then there would be the cost of purchasing one and installing. A decision OP has to make. It is no big deal. In fact, I charge both our phones, watch TV, 12v power to the terrestrial antenna rotor and signal booster, as well as an interior light or two during the night (I'm a night owl). All powered from the inverter/house batteries. Charge the house batteries during the day when genny noise isn't an issue.

Regardless, a solution to what the OP is asking...
I think that a simple, cheap solution such as adding a couple 12v outlets in the rear of the coach would fit the bill somehow. You can hide them almost anywhere close to a 12v supply line in a RV. 

...and it doesn't cost anything. It is no big deal.

Well, there IS a cost in wasted energy, typically about 10% loss at each conversion. And wasted energy produces heat that probably has to be dispersed somehow/somewhere. So it's not exactly zero cost. Nor a big deal either, given the tiny amounts we are discussing.

Even the 12v USB charger has a step-down transformer and a tiny bit of electronic overhead for power regulation, but it's pretty close to zero cost and thus the best overall solution. And a quality 12v USB charger is not expensive if you buy online (Amazon, Ebay, etc.). Some of the ones in stores, even Walmart, are fairly pricey and not always good quality/capacity either.

I bought two of these (see pic) for $8 at Walmart. I plan  on cutting the cord and splicing in to 12 volt power for some lights then mount the USB port in a discrete location with the provided double sided tape.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 19
Before cutting the cord, you probably should check to see where in the unit it drops the voltage from 12v to 5 v. It may be located in the plug you are planning to cut off.

Yes. I'll check that first. If so I'll wire oin a 12 v reptacle and just plug in the adapter hidden in the wall

To answer your question about an inverter, if yours came with the 400 amp option they are usually only used to power the entertainment system.  So if you have a TV in your RV it will probably just be the outlet there that is powered by the inverter.  You will need to find it and turn it on though.

Cheryl

Back
Top Bottom