First RV trip !!! send me your advice ..Goa know I need it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LIVE NOW said:
Inspection is been done ..I just want to know your guys thought about each one...
I doubt anyone of us will have an opinion on both units. I doubt anyone has experience owning both of them. You should pick one on the basis of floor plan, condition and price. Our opinion is really worthless.

Well just looking at specs and market placement, the National was maybe a little more up market over the Winnebago, it is also on a higher 14,800 GVWR chassis (vs 11,800 for the Winnebago) , both are built on the Chevy P32 chassis, though the national was longer at 29 ft vs 25 for the Winnebago, the National likely has 19.5 inch wheels, where the lighter Winnebago may have 16 inch wheels.  If you search (not for long) you will find a lot of hatred for the P32 chassis, I have one on my 28 ft (29'5" bumper to bumper) coach, and don't see it as an issue, though I think about 30 with no slides is the upper end of for the P32 chassis, any more than that and you are building too much house on too light of chassis.  If you follow up on the complaints you will see most of them are directed towards coaches in the 33-36 ft range built on the P32 chassis.

One other difference the 1994 coach almost certainly has the 230HP 454 TBI engine, where the 1996 may have the updated 290HP 7.4 / 454 MFI Vortec engine, depending on exactly when in the production year it was built.

As to which to buy, a lot comes down to condition, and neither may be a valid answer.

Inspected by a licensed inspector or licensed mechanic?  And the same one for both?  And what did the reports say?  It is impossible for everything to be 100% perfect on two twenty-year-old coaches, so there are details missing.

All of the above are MUCH more important than our opinions!

You seem to be jumping in with a lot of enthusiasm, but you need to slow down and be a little more careful.  You can live now with no thoughts of later, but I guarantee you that "later" will catch up with you and possibly cost you a lot of money.

You are so right  Judy!!!

" :eek:"You seem to be jumping in with a lot of enthusiasm, but you need to slow down and be a little more careful.  You can live now with no thoughts of later, but I guarantee you that "later" will catch up with you and possibly cost you a lot of money."
Saturday experience... We went    main st , Mesa, AZ because we saw one that Carfax shows even thought had previous 3 owner  it show that each keep it for about 5 years and had a listed of all maintenance the owner had done. Well , when we arrived that the guy was not able to get the generator to work . What business would have RV for sell and not mk sure the generator works ? Oh well he said because had low gas ... :-\ so I started looking around and stop on this beautiful 2006 Winnebago 29  so NICE  so well  you could see the owner (1) took proud of their rig. It had all : great ac, surround sound, outside shower, 2 TV's, anything / everything in a comfortable home on wheels . It even had the whole RV cover !!! wow I said ...came home ..I couldn't sleep :-[.. I said to myself ..self  are you craze to pay $30k for your first RV!!! my husband and family was ready to roll get back and do the deal...I always panic when I mk a huge purchase ... I took a step back ..didn't get it ..but love it very much and think I have worked so hard since in US / have invested wisely on rental properties...deserved it .... but Im a simple girl.. :p  my Matilda is out there and will not cost that much ... right ?
Thank you you all.. the search continue on

If you spend much less than $30K on an RV it will end up costing you a lot more. Old cheap RVs are money pits because they are old and it is reflected in the price. Many people try and go cheap on an RV and they are surprised by all the costs after they buy it. At that point they have so much invested it is hard to walk away.

I can understand your hesitation to spend $30,000 on something you don't know if you will like or not.  Though in the end that $30,000 coach, or  one like it  may be the best deal, also remember asking and selling price are not the same thing, in the case of my current coach, which was bought from a private seller, the asking price was $25,000, it had been advertised for only 2 days when I saw the ad, after gathering information, spending an hour on the phone talking to the owner (it was 1,100 miles away), I sent him an email with an offer of $19,000.    In the email I showed ads for 2 very similar coaches, same brand, same floor plan, just a couple of years older priced at $15,500 and $18,000, explaining that I liked his better, appreciated the updates even if they were not exactly what I would have done, explained the added retrieval cost I would incur considering his coach was 1,100 miles away and the other 2 were 250-300 miles away.    In the end we settled on $20,500 and I flew down to pick it up  5 days later, part of the reason I was willing to pay more was that he had put over $10,000 in parts alone into the coach in the proceeding 2 years including new tires, batteries, refrigerator, carpet, seating, tv, .... including $2,823.32 worth of professional suspension upgrade work in March of 2015 (I happen to have the receipt sitting here).

The question then becomes one of how much work are you going to find that these $15,000 coaches that you are looking at will need, and how much will they be worth after you spend another $10,000-$15,000+ on fixing them.

I should probably also note that in the 2 years I have owned my current coach, I have spent close to another $10,000 in provisioning (pots, pans, bbq grill, sheets, towels...), maintenance (fluid changes, new propane regulator, new shocks...) and upgrades (GPS, TPMS, LED lights, ..), most of it DIY, though about $3,000 has been paid out to professional shops ($750 to fix the dash air conditioner, another $600 or so to replaced a hydraulic hardline for the automatic parking brake a couple of months ago after one blew leaving me stranded on the side of the road, ...) 

In addition to that my coach is currently sitting at a nearby trusted shop I have been using for over 20 years, with parts on order, it is needing new upper and lower ball joints on both sides, estimate $1,100.  Now some of those things were not technically necessary, the old shocks still had some life in them, but it does drive much better with the  new ones, I could have lived with the 8 year old GPS that was bought for my wife's previous car which did not have integrated nav, but the Garmin 770 is oh so much nicer to have on the road with its brighter bigger screen, ...    Much the same can be said about the $200 Dometic 320 toilet with residential size bowl vs the leaking (would no longer hold water for more than an hour) 15 year old smaller / lower Thetford Aurora toilet.

Know I know I will never recover these costs if and when I sell this coach, but having done them allows me to enjoy it more, though looking back I have to ask if I should have bought one where much of this had already been done, at a price of  $28,500 - $32,000 would I be ahead, particularly after counting the many hours of labor I have put into the coach.

Ike

p.s. NADA says my coach is worth $15,105, though in 5 months worth of shopping nation wide I never found one in good to great shape with that low of asking price.

That beauty has 40k miles...  after going to NADA and entering all the things that rig has base on listing description and photo I took it gave a valor of about $32 k -$40k....decision decision.. :-\ :-\

the dealer guy said that I have to pay $2,500 down pmt , the he would had his 3rd party go over the rig to ensure everything work ( I have to pay for it ...whatup with that they should had it everything good to place for sell) and then suggest to buy a $1,600 one year warranty  just to have peace mind that we are cover ...

LIVE NOW said:
That beauty has 40k miles...  after going to NADA and entering all the things that rig has base on listing description and photo I took it gave a valor of about $32 k -$40k....decision decision.. :-\ :-\
That is not the right way to use NADA. You do not enter all the things, just use the base price. You missed the warning listed on every price page:

Option note: Only select options below that are in addition to standard equipment and equipment noted in the manufacturer or year notes show above. If you are uncertain of what came standard, please contact your manufacturer with your VIN.

You can find much cheaper deals online for a one year warranty, but I consider them a waste of money. It is cheaper to fix things yourself.

Never trust a dealers own "3rd party" inspector, insist on your own independent RV inspector and your own mechanic that is familiar with the specific chassis.    For RV inspectors, check the locator at nrvia.org  as to full disclosure, I took the NRVIA level 2 inspector class earlier this year, and was very impressed with what they cover, one of their ethics issues is that an inspector can not take any form of kick backs, or perform any repair work on the inspected RV for 1 year.

p.s. you may have a bit of an issue finding an NRVIA inspector right now as the national conference is in Texas in 2 weeks

LIVE NOW said:

When using the online NADA site DO NOT add in all the listed stuff as most of it may have been all standard equipment and already included in the MSRP NADA used as the base in their calculations. If you do, you will end up with a much too inflated value....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofty
Back
Top Bottom