First step out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Leslie

The first step out of our class c 2003 Minnie, onto the Kwickie folding step is way too long.  I don't have it here, but I think it is a 14 inch drop.  It is difficult for most people to negotiate, into or out of.

Anyway, we have been putting a square block of wood on it to help lessen the distance.  I'm concerned about the weight of the wood. (My husband is heavy)  I do worry about accidently having the step retract when the wood is there.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to use, that would be stable on the step?  Or another solution?

Mike Leslie
2003 Winnebago Minnie Class C

Is the second step too close to the ground? Are you the original owners? If not, I'm thinking that the other owners had a problem with the step, such as broken attachment points and had to reposition the step lower to remount it. I would suggest taking it to a shop and have them look at it. It  might be a simple job to repair it. The possibility of you or a visitor falling facefirst onto the ground or into the RV is very real and should be fixed. Plus, assuming it was moved, there is also the possibility that it wasn't mounted securely and could eventually break with you or DH stepping it.

It sounds like there is a step missing. A step should be between 6" and 8" high. Usually 7".

Raising up the top step with a block increases the height between that step and the next lower step so you are swapping one problem for another.

Look and see if there is another step that is not coming out. The front edge of it will look identical to the front edge of the steps that do come out.

Can you post a photo?

We will be getting the Minnie out of storage in a day.  I'll check the things stated thus far stated.  Thank you, for the various thoughts.

I did check some photos of other 2003 Minnies; they looked like they had just the two steps, like ours.  I'll measure my step for sure, and look underneath, too.
Mike Leslie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom