First Time Driver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
llib enad said:
If you want the actual swing out, go to a vacant parking lot that still has parking lines.  Park the coach with the driver side of the body on a lane, turn the wheels all the way to the right and then slowly move the MH until it is at s 45% angle from the lane.  Stop and measure the distance from the painted lane to the corner of the MH.  That is your swing out.  If you are in a right turn lane and a car is next to you, add more inches for safety to clear it.  The same goes for fuel pumps!  Do the same procedure for the right  side.  Drive and enjoy.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

Mentioning pulling up to fuel pumps is a great bit of info and one that should be heeded.  Don't forget to LOOK UP too because some fuel stations have a roof over them that could be lower than you think.  We don't often think of this when driving a car or truck but the driver of a big motor home or 5er sure better!

Ed

Gary mentioned the course at LazyDays. My wife and I both took it and it was terrific.  The biggest advantage is the opportunity to do some closed course driving in their campground and get some experience moving a rig in close quarters.  As a result of the course, we were able to back into our first campsite like pros.  Another piece of advice Barney, our instructor, told us was to drive one or two miles ore hour under the speed limit.  Over an eight hour day, the difference in time is only about ten to fifteen minutes but the result is that other traffic passes, pulls in front and disappears, leaving you extra room between you and the guy ahead.  Tailgating with a loaded motorhome is not a good idea.
JackT

Hey I started driving one of these things at age 64, if I can do it anybody can!  I don't have a spotter either so try to get drive through sites when possible, just easier.  But hubby adjusted my rear camera that really helps and I try and remember that out the mirrors things aren't quite where they seem, but so far so good.

Now if I can center and get this durn toad hooked up for the first time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vrinda
Back
Top Bottom