first trip to Florida and have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Federal campgrounds may be a good bet. I understand there are a few boondocking areas in Florida, but I don't know from experience.

Just north of Homestead there is a KOA Campground that you may try to get reservations at and also not far from it is one of the best kept secrets which is run by Miami-Dade County Parks and Recreation called Larry and Penny Thompson Park where they have quite a few full hook up sites. Call ahead and you should be able to arrange a site there. You may have to time your arrival a bit but we normally have friends stay there and they have no trouble getting a site.

Gordon Groff said:
....  Hannah state park in Jacksonville was beautiful and almost empty in early January.  The "polar vortex" caught us and we had some below freezing nights, but lovely days there.  Full hookups.  .....

Hanna is actually a City park.  I still can't believe it.... city parks are usually places that nobody wants to go!
This park though is surprisingly huge, with 300 sites. most nicely wooded and I think all are full hook-up.
Almost never have a problem getting a site there.
http://www.coj.net/departments/parks-and-recreation/recreation-and-community-programming/kathryn-abbey-hanna-park/camping-at-hanna-park.aspx
and really great hiking and mountain biking trails, a lake for fishing, etc...
It's right on the beach, and nice, although it's not located in the best area of town.  It's gated and very safe and nice.  Right outside the gate is not the best, but if you stay in the park you'd never know it.

I live in NE Florida, and up this way anyway, you'll find that the state parks closer to the coast are generally harder to get into.  If you move inland just a bit there are much easier pickings....  Likely the same down South too.

To the OP, only coming down for 6 weeks or so, I would think you'll want to move around a bit to see what's down here... I know I would.  What I would do is pick the places you really want to go and reserve there, since they are more of a destination and may fill up.  Places like Fort Wilderness if you want to do Disney for a few days.... or if you really want to be at a certain place at a certain time.... otherwise wing it.

We live in Florida and I can tell you from experience that southern Florida is very, very expensive. Heavy traffic, crime and the like are pretty much the norm. We like northern Florida, around Gainesville, where there are plenty of reasonably priced RV parks and resorts. Try Williston Crossing RV Resort in Williston, FL. The weather is great, save for a few chilly days. It's a good idea to make reservations during snowbird season.

thomasamski said:
We live in Florida and I can tell you from experience that southern Florida is very, very expensive. Heavy traffic, crime and the like are pretty much the norm. We like northern Florida, around Gainesville, where there are plenty of reasonably priced RV parks and resorts. Try Williston Crossing RV Resort in Williston, FL. The weather is great, save for a few chilly days. It's a good idea to make reservations during snowbird season.

You might want to provide more specific information. 

South West Florida is NOT a high crime area.  In fact, 5 of the 20 safest cities in Florida are located there.

Traffic heavy? , yes, because everyone wants to be there between Jan-April. 

In general, the temps will be 5 degrees cooler in North Florida than in the south.  This is comparing my personal weather records between Lake City in the North and LaBelle in the south.

The RV parks are less expensive by the month in North Florida.  The daily rate is pretty close, except for the Keys. 

We have spent a couple of years in the West Palm area, then came to the St Pete area.  Yes we do get a few more days of temps in the 70's and overnight temps in the 30's, we like it so much better that we bought a stand alone condo here.  Realistically, anywhere near or south of the I 4 corridor and your risk of frost is virtually non existent.
    The problem with getting into State Parks is that they allow Florida Seniors to book at a ridiculously low rate,  and many do so, then just don't show up.  we went to Marithon, and to Destin each were reporting full, we got one of their emergency drop in sites, yet each park was less than half full.
    As other posters have said, there are just so many campgrounds that you should not have difficulty finding a decent spot.  Just do your homework as there are some parks throughout the state that you really do not want to stay in.  OTOH there are many gems to be found.

Ed

You can always try the Goldcoaster in Homestead.  Not too far from Everglades NP.  They may be able to get you in.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help us out!!! We are super excited to be able to do this esp at our ages.  Unfortunately our time of January and the first half of February are pretty set in stone.  My husband owns a bicycling store and that is about the only time all year slow enough he can get away.  I'm a nurse and have to "put in for vacation". 

I will send some time looking at all of you suggestions.  I feel so much better about just taking off and landing were we land after reading your posts.  Like I said we are not to picky, and tend to be go with the flowers.  we are just going to be happy being out of the freezing temps.  Wind chills of 20 below are horrible.

Thank you all again so much!!!

We lived in FL for 18 years.
The In-Laws loved the Crystal River Area for their Snowbird season.
They would contact several campgrounds close and make reservations.
Usually from October until the end of March.

The reason for multiple campgrounds was a state law restricting length of stay.
It used to be 2 weeks at a time. Often they would just drive across the road
every two weeks between campgrounds. Check of that is still a law.

Crystal River is on the West Coast about 2 hours or so North of Tampa Bay.
It is a beautiful area that is not too congested.
I am sorry that we can not remember the name of the campgrounds they
used.

oldme said:
It used to be 2 weeks at a time. Often they would just drive across the road
every two weeks between campgrounds. Check of that is still a law.

I have to wonder if there are any people out there who "swap" campgrounds with each other? ???

If you have someone you know, but don't necessarily want to live next too, arrange to trade camp sites in different campgrounds.  ::)

Get three of ya rotating in three different campgrounds, and no worries about the law.

oldme said:
It used to be 2 weeks at a time.

Not quite.  The two week stay limit is NOT a state law, but rather a Florida State Parks rule.  It is still in effect. 

Private campgrounds can accept any length of stay if they choose to, up to and including "permanent."

Back
Top Bottom