First trip to TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about RV parking, but when I was last there some years ago it had pay parking for automobiles (was probably the only pay parking within 10-15 miles).  If it comes down to it there is a Microtell Inn and Luby's cafeteria directly across NASA Rd 1 from the visitor center parking lot that you could probably park in (it is a fairly large parking lot for a cafeteria).  I have not been there in a few years, but up until about 2010 I had be in that area on business 2-3 times per year and would usually stay at that Microtel Inn.  Reasonable prices, and autographed photos of lots of astronauts that stayed there in the lobby.

Thank you!  haha, it seems every time RV season starts for me, I forget to check google!!! Thank you for the reminder that has been so helpful!

I just called and they do have RV parking.  It is $5.  Thank you!!

Im glad someone resurrected this thread. I am in San Antonio and now have a few more things to go look at. Much of it will have to wait till the DH gets a scooter. He has an appt. next week at the VA for a mobility assessment. Hopefully they will give him a scooter. If not, Im going to rent one. He hates sitting around not able to do anything.

We did go to the Natural Bridge Wildlife Park last week. Its a drive through safari, and it was really fun. Bonus that it was something he could do that didnt wear him out.

If anyone travels through here, we are staying in Boerne at the Alamo Fiesta RV Resort. Nice place, though a little tight, and right off the interstate so theres some road noise, but not too bad.

Word of warning if you have an RV more than ten years old. About half the parks in this area stick to the 10 year rule regardless of condition of your rig.

You need to look at Fredericksburg and the  National Museum of the Pacific War, 340 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624, pacificwarmuseum.org,(830) 997-8600.
They also have the Admiral Nimitz museum. Your Husband (being Navy) may like them.
Bill

If they don't approve one check ebay, they often show up very cheap and very lightly used.  I bought a power chair for my step father a few (wow 9  already) years ago off ebay, I think I paid $350 for it and it was like new probably had less than a mile on it.  Unfortunately he passed away just a couple of weeks later due to complications from a surgery, since then it has been loaned out to a number of family friends with broken bones, hip replacements, etc.

WILDEBILL308 said:
You need to look at Fredericksburg and the  National Museum of the Pacific War, 340 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624, pacificwarmuseum.org,(830) 997-8600.
They also have the Admiral Nimitz museum. Your Husband (being Navy) may like them.
Bill

We are going here!  We are very excited.  We are staying in Fredericksburg for 3 nights.  1 day we will drive to san Antonio. 1 day we will explore these museums in Fredericksburg and maybe some wine.

We are staying at the Jellystone yogi bear park.  I heard they have multiple wineries within an easy walking distance!  How exciting!

You need to go to Worners Warehouse for lunch. This is a big place full of collectibles and antiques and tucked in the corner is a amazing cafe. http://woernerwarehouse.com/
Bill

There is also a hop on / hop off bus that tours a number of the wineraries it departs from downtown right next door to the war in the pacific museum on the street behind the museum.

p.s. for food in Fredericksburg our pick is Der Lindenbaum (also on the same block with the war in the pacific museum on Main St).  It is some of the best German food I have ever eaten (European trained Chef) , and the desserts are from a good local bakery.  It is a small almost hole in the wall place, not very many tables and the menu has a limited number of selections, but the food is great.

Nobody mentioned the Palo Duro Canyon in the panhandle, but the drive from Claude to Silverton goes from one side to the other and is amazing. That's why it is called the "Grand Canyon of TX!" In spring the bluebonnets in the San Antonio - Austin - Brownwood area are glorious!

If you are anywhere near New Braunfels and like live nusic, check out the oldest dance hall in Texas, we saw Kevin Costner and his band there last July. They often have famous singers/groups. Small hall, take a fan as it can get warm.

http://gruenehall.com

You can eat in a lovely restaurant behind  the  hall, get there early to get riverside seating.

http://gristmillrestaurant.com

There are also floats down the river from there too.

http://comaltubes.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom