Fisher & Paykel Dish Washer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgkane

We have a FP Dish drawer in our MH. It seems to work fine, but when we don't use it for a few days it collects about an inch or better of dirty water that obviously starts to stink. We can run a quick rinse cycle and it drains it out but it doesn't seem normal to me. This is a relatively new MH for us and certainly our first dish drawer.
My guess is that when we drain the galley sink that a small about of that water follows the drain pipe into the dish drawer instead of heading to the grey tank. Has anyone ever attempted to put a one way valve on the drain hose from the dish drawer or possibly did it have one at one time that is now failing or been removed?
If we use the dish drawer every day its fine but frankly with just the two of us it's sometimes easier to wash by hand.
Thanks,
Gordon

I suspect the drain out of the bottom has to go up to reach your sink plumbing, causing a backwash into the dishwasher.  I don't think you can add a check valve to that because it is such low pressure, but maybe there is something you can add to prevent that.

We were interested in installing a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher in our motorhome, however in reading the reviews on them, most of the reviews were terrible. Everything from bad service to poor quality. You must have gotten one of the good ones.

Bill

It sounds like you have a parellel line that is the same height on the drain line from the washer to the sink drain. What I would look for is to put a loop going up higher than the drain connection from the dishwasher. This would cause to have a air break after your washer drains. This would keep the sink drain from coming back down the washer drain line. I hope you can understand what I'm talking about. Kind of like the drain line on a washing machine. How the drain line loops up before putting it into the drain line.

Something like that might work.

billwild said:
We were interested in installing a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher in our motorhome, however in reading the reviews on them, most of the reviews were terrible. Everything from bad service to poor quality. You must have gotten one of the good ones.

Bill
Ah...reviews are reviews.  We loved ours and it worked perfectly for years.  Going to have to put one in this rig in the spring.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

butch50 said:
It sounds like you have a parellel line that is the same height on the drain line from the washer to the sink drain. What I would look for is to put a loop going up higher than the drain connection from the dishwasher. This would cause to have a air break after your washer drains. This would keep the sink drain from coming back down the washer drain line. I hope you can understand what I'm talking about. Kind of like the drain line on a washing machine. How the drain line loops up before putting it into the drain line.

Something like that might work.

Butch yes I do understand what your talking about. It will be a bit more of a challenge because the dish drawer is built into the slide so the hose has to be able to move in and out. We are headed to Houston today but hopefully I'll have time to mess with it this weekend.
Thanks again.

Mile High said:
Ah...reviews are reviews.  We loved ours and it worked perfectly for years.  Going to have to put one in this rig in the spring.

Brad,
If you don't mind can I ask you a quick question on the dish drawer? When we do a normal load of dishes the washer finishes up, beeps etc and the dishes are clean but there is always a bit of water sloshing around in the bottom of the drawer. If I run a rinse cycle it will completely drain the drawer.  It always seems strange to me that one would empty the drawer and the other does not.
Is this normal or is this a symptom of my other drain problem?

Thanks
Gordon

Gordon, we haven't had ours for a year (when we sold our 5er) so I'm working off memory, but I do not remember seeing any water when it was done because the dryer pretty much dried it out in there, but when we did the quick cycle (11 minute) for winterizing it did leave some in there at the bottom.  It was obvious because it was pink, which may be why I noticed.  That probably doesn't help much.  Hopefully someone that has one now can offer a fresher experience.

Put one in my RV and Kathy loves it.  No water that I can see but placed the loop Brad mentioned right beside the dishwasher to minimize any backflow and well above the sink drain.  Placed the unit right below the stove.

When we bought our rig it had a drawer DW. Couldn't get it to work so I bought the FP unit. I had an RV tech put it in as I have bad knees. When he was finished I looked at the left over parts and noticed there was a wall mounted semi-circle piece of plastic. I knew wheat it was for...the drain hose air break. I showed it to him but he said the way he routed the hose it would be fine....uh ok....The weird thing with my DW is it will NOT work with the genset as a power source....On shore power no problem..So that is the only time we use it, when we have hookups. I bet if you put a loop in your drain hose you will not have that brown water in your unit. Ours seems to work fine but you have to follow directions, I think you can only use liquid soap, not powder..

Good luck with the FP. Some folks are obviously happy with theirs.

We had a pair of FPs installed in the kitchen at home when we remodeled. They were a continual source of problems, including parts wearing out/failing. Pump issues aside (we replaced a few), I recall some drain issues were associated with "incorrectly plumbed" drain hoses, including the lack of a fitting in the drain line (can't recall if it was a 1-way valve). We finally got tired of all the service calls, even after the plumbing 'fix', and we eventually replaced the two FPs with a regular Bosch dish washer.

One advantage we immediately noticed was that the 'full size' Bosch holds far more than the combination of two FP drawers. One ($$) downside ... since the two FPs were installed one each side of the sink, we had to re-do some of the custom cabinetry to accommodate the Bosch.

When we bought our rig it had a drawer DW. Couldn't get it to work so I bought the FP unit. I had an RV tech put it in as I have bad knees. When he was finished I looked at the left over parts and noticed there was a wall mounted semi-circle piece of plastic. I knew wheat it was for...the drain hose air break. I showed it to him but he said the way he routed the hose it would be fine....uh ok....The weird thing with my DW is it will NOT work with the genset as a power source....On shore power no problem..So that is the only time we use it, when we have hookups. I bet if you put a loop in your drain hose you will not have that brown water in your unit. Ours seems to work fine but you have to follow directions, I think you can only use liquid soap, not powder..
I need to replace my Fisher & Paykel DW in my 2016 AMerican Allegiance. I am having a hard time finding one. Any body know where I can buy a new one?

Back
Top Bottom