Fishing Campsites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of our favorite places that we've stayed at is Sugar Barge on Bethel Island in the Delta area of Northern California.  Nice grassy cg with full hook-ups.  Good fishing, docks, restaurant, store and most of all very friendly staff!  Oh, and the fishing was good too!  We brought a boat and so we were able to roam the delta and fish.

This is a great discussion.  I'll offer up Quarry Park, near Mountain Home, Arkansas, on the Norfork River.  The Norfork is a short river, only 4.5 miles long, but home to a former world record brown trout, 38 lbs 3 oz.  Fishing at the park is good, and there is a catch and release section accessed from further downstream.  Quarry Park is a US Army Corps of Engineers campground, with water and 50 amps at most sites, and paved, level pads long enough to handle big rigs.  Another great river side campground is Bull Shoals State Park, just below Bull Shoals Dam on the White River, near Mountain Home, Arkansas.  This is a state-run campground with full amenities, and fishing can be outrageous.

flytyer2:
we have fished the White River near the Bull Shoals Dam.  We were camping in another area, but drove through the state-run campground, nice campground....btw, we had great fun on the White River.

4ducksrus:
We've stayed at Sugar Barge on Bethel Island.  Tom J. lives close by, so we had fun hanging out with he and his wife along with some good friends of theirs....lots of fun.

One of the highlights of my fly fishing was at Cottonwood Camp near Fort Smith, Montana on the Big Horn River.  The fishing was fabulous!!!

We are heading to Alaska this summer and I'm already looking up rivers and guides.

Marsha~

Another great riverside campground is JFK Park on the Little Red River near Heber Springs, AR.  The Little Red River is a tailwater (Greers Ferry Lake), and is the proud holder of the world record brown trout (or recent world record holder) at 40 lbs 4 oz.  There is fishing at the park, and a number of accesses downstream.  JFK Park is a very popular U.S. Army Corps of Engineers campground with water and electricity at sites, quite nice.

Smoky said:
The best campground I have ever fished is one of the ones that Sharon and I managed (and resided in) last summer and will manage again this coming summer.  It is Ansel Watrous campground 15 miles west of Fort Collins Colorado.  It is on the Poudre (pronounced "pooder"} River.  Most of the sites are within 20 feet of the river edge.  It is a Forest Service campground with water availability but no power or sewage. The Admiral and I were fortunate to have full hookups including 50 amps as resident managers for 3 campgrounds in the area.

Checking the website it appears my RV (40') will not fit any of the campsites.  Too bad as I was looking forward to spending a night there.

Don

What fish are in ocachobee besides bass?  Are there crappie ,catfish ,bream? never fished there.

Theberrys said:
Great Trout Fishing in North West New Mexico, in the best five in the country.
http://www.ifly4trout.com/

San Juan River tail-waters of the Navajo was some of the best fly fishing I have experienced and I did not float the river.

I would also highly recommend the Green River tail-waters of the Flaming Gorge Dam in Utah.  I do not have a park recommendation, but the fly fishing is also top notch when compared to the San Juan.  Did a float trip on the Green and it was well worth the money.  Look to stay near Dutch John.

If you are into fly fishing, you must go to these two places at least once in your life.

Where do we start? There are so many great fishing spots within easy reach. I spent hours as a kid on the Shuswap River, rainbows, dollies, and the occasional salmon to make things interesting. Each of us has a special place no matter where we are.

If you travel South Carolina, There is a good small  lake that has bass near I-26 just east of Columbia. The camp ground is Sweet Water Camp Ground. No locals are allowed to fish. It has only water and electric hooks ups and a dump station. Open all year and on the honor system. Just drive in select a spot and put your check or cash in the post. Very quite.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry ,may try this place. I like the campgrounds at santee cooper state park,good fishing ,old style southern cooking at Lone Star southern buffet .

And also any where in Michigan! We have so many lakes and camp grounds/RV sites I can't count them all.

Scott  :)

Sandy Beach campgounds in Rio Vista, Ca is a county park.  Very convenient and right on the Sacramento river where I troll for Stripers exclusively.  Campgound has water and electric and has a dump station.  Very clean showers and flush toilets.

Right across the river is Brannan State Park but unfortunately with the Calif budget shortfalls, it's closed 3 days/week.  Great camp sites with clean showers and bathroom.  They expanded the launch ramps from 6 to I think, 12 but again, they're closed 3 days a week  :-\.

In a moment, I'm headed out to Bodega Bay, north of San Francisco to camp and fish for 3 days. I'm towing my 20' Cruiser behind my 23' Winnebago Brave.  I'm staying in Westside Regional Park operated by the county. It has water and a dump station but has a launch ramp next to it and it's easy access to the Ocean for Halibut, Salmon and Rockcod fishing which what I'll be targeting.

Last month we stayed at the Dardenelle Resort just a little above Pinecrest in California.  Dirt Campground, but with FHU's.  They also have clean showers, small store, and a restaurant/bar that is open on the weekends.  The fishing for trout was terrific.  They stock the stream every Thursday...we limited out each day!

Seon,

We spent many a weekend at Brannan Island SP in the 80's. We used to launch the boat and berth at their small marina. Since most of our time was spent on the rivers, we didn't stay in the main campground, and dry camped at one of their "Olympic sites" overlooking the boat berth. Back then, they charged $5/night for an Olympic site and $5/night for a boat berth. But, if you paid $5 for a boat berth, they threw the Olympic site in for free.

We often drive Hwy 160, and were disappointed to see the closures at the SP.

Please let us know how that campground in Bodega Bay works out.
Edit: Fixed typo.

If in S. Colorado above Chama, try the National Park sites along the Conejos River.  It is on road to Ignacio CO.

If San Juan and Navajo Lake, stay at lower campground or upper above the dam or stay at Abe's sites for a reasonable rate for FHU. 

If NC near Brevard NC, Davidson River Campground on the river so you can walk to it from your campsite or N. Mills River has boondocking sites on the river; both are Reserve America sites.

We've passed Dardanelle a few times, buy never stopped. We've stayed at a NFS campground higher up, at Sonora pass. No hookups or dump station, but right alongside the river which is stocked regularly.

Tom,
We've always stayed at either Pinecrest or Clarksfork in the past.  With the new rig we weren't comfortable maneuvering around either one of those campgrounds...a lot of trees and rocks jump out at you!! LOL  This was our first time at Dardanelle, and we would go back.  During the week it was very quiet there, and on the weekend when it was full...it was still pretty quiet.  Nice actually compared to how noisy Pinecrest can get with all the little ones and big drunk ones...haha....and the fishing was wonderful!

Thanks Jim.

I'm hoping to make another fishing trip down the Nevada side of the Sierras, but won't attempt to go over Sonora Pass. Last time I went over the pass was in the 80's; I left the coach at the campground and drove the Bronco over to Hwy 395. That was the only time I've experienced brake fade; Scary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom