Fixing San Francisco's EV problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes, but not always.

But sometimes the scariest words are "I am from the government, and I am here to help."

-Don- Auburn, CA
Except apparently when they're here to help by subsidizing free EV charging stations.

But sometimes the scariest words are "I am from the government, and I am here to help."

Hey as a retired State Police dispatcher... I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK :)

My favorite comes from one Doris Day (no not that Doris Day but another she is or rather was a serologist with the Michigan State Police Crime lab and this was the sticker on her car's bumper"

DO NOT STEAL (The government hates the competition).

Except apparently when they're here to help by subsidizing free EV charging stations.
Well, I certainly pay my share of taxes in countess ways. Just to register my Class A for this year:

Vehicle Make: JAYCO, INC.
Vehicle Year: 2022
Vehicle Model: VISION
Registration Expiration Date: 9/21/2024
Transaction Confirmation Number: 169460074
Payment Confirmation Number: 6903091333866764103087
Amount Paid: $1,859.80

But it goes down a bit every year. The year before it cost $2,211.68 to register.

I wonder where most of that money goes to . . . .

But it could pay for a lot of free EV charging among other things. And that was my tax on just one item, mentioned only because this is an RV forum. That is a VERY Small percentage of all the taxes I must pay every year.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Well, I certainly pay my share of taxes in countess ways. Just to register my Class A for this year:

Vehicle Make: JAYCO, INC.
Vehicle Year: 2022
Vehicle Model: VISION
Registration Expiration Date: 9/21/2024
Transaction Confirmation Number: 169460074
Payment Confirmation Number: 6903091333866764103087
Amount Paid: $1,859.80

But it goes down a bit every year. The year before it cost $2,211.68 to register.

I wonder where most of that money goes to . . . .

But it could pay for a lot of free EV charging among other things. And that was my tax on just one item, mentioned only because this is an RV forum. That is a VERY Small percentage of all the taxes I must pay every year.

-Don- Auburn, CA
The cost to register my Class A here in NY State is $70 per year paid in 2 year increments.

Don, is that Cali?, state? county? I should check my tag I took off the trailer I just sold, I think I bought a 2 year. but low enough I don't even remember the cost, and not subject to personal property tax. In Montana, you get a permanent tag, pay once and done.

The cost to register my Class A here in NY State is $70 per year paid in 2 year increments.
I am surprised NY is so low on property tax. I pay a lot more than that on my Y2K RV, around $450.00 per year, IIRC.
Don, is that Cali?, state? county? I should check my tag I took off the trailer I just sold, I think I bought a 2 year. but low enough I don't even remember the cost, and not subject to personal property tax. In Montana, you get a permanent tag, pay once and done.
Both my RVs are registered in NV, Washoe County (Reno area) yet usually are parked here in CA. I doubt CA will be any cheaper, but those are my two choices.

Owning 16 motor vehicles, I certainly pay CA as well as NV a lot of money in taxes. Thousands of times my "free" EV charging. Still, most of my charging, by far, is done at home. 43 cents per KWH here in Auburn, CA. 53 cents per KWH if I got over "baseline" of 217 KWH (probably won't happen now that I have solar here--but likely will not be any cheaper in monthly charges).

In Reno, only 18 cents per KWH. Still higher than most places.

-Don- Auburn, CA

California having a property tax on vehicles is something I wasn’t aware of.

When I had a vehicle registered in California, there were annual registration fees.

There are annual registration fees here in WA too but it’s cheap for us. Our motorhome is $130 per year. Cars are 80-90 each.

California having a property tax on vehicles is something I wasn’t aware of.
CA is one percent of the vehicle value per year.

Let's see how each works out on my 160K$ Class A for the first year:

CA is 1% of 160 K$=$1,600 for value, then add the registration fees to that, including weight fees. So it is all the CA fees above that $1,600.00 for the first year.

The way NV does it is a lot more complicated, but it comes out to very close to that same 1% for my Class A when I do the math.

IOW, $2,211.68 divided by 160K$: I paid 1.3823% the first year in NV, but in this case, it includes all the other fees. Type of vehicle has different fees. Weight fees added, etc, 18K lbs on my Class A.

Both states probably come within a few bucks of each other for my Class A. At least not enough of a difference for me to be concerned with between CA & NV.

-Don- Auburn, CA

CA is one percent of the vehicle value per year.

Let's see how each works out on my 160K$ Class A for the first year:

CA is 1% of 160 K$=$1,600 for value, then add the registration fees to that, including weight fees. So it is all the CA fees above that $1,600.00 for the first year.

The way NV does it is a lot more complicated, but it comes out to very close to that same 1% for my Class A when I do the math.

IOW, $2,211.68 divided by 160K$: I paid 1.3823% the first year in NV, but in this case, it includes all the other fees. Type of vehicle has different fees. Weight fees added, etc, 18K lbs on my Class A.

Both states probably come within a few bucks of each other for my Class A. At least not enough of a difference for me to be concerned with between CA & NV.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Is the 1% a tax, or a fee? Does it matter? lol. I just don’t remember there being a “tax” on my registration in CA. The car I had was <20k so I didn’t look too closely at the breakdown of fees TBH.

I do remember when we purchased our motorhome in CA, we chose to not register it in CA for the few weeks we had it down there. Reg was going to cost about 2500 for it. We parked it for 2 weeks at the resort and then drove it home on an expired trip permit.

Is the 1% a tax, or a fee? Does it matter?
A tax.

And yes, it usually does make a difference. A fee is NOT tax deductible, you're paying for a service. A tax is tax deductible on other taxes, such as on our FIT. But only the percentage that is a tax, the part based on value. However, the last few years, I got the shaft on that deal with the $10,000 deducible tax cap. I was way over that. In fact, the year I purchased my new RV, I deducted the sales tax which already hit the 10K$ limit, which meant I could not deduct my property tax on my two houses and other stuff.

There are DMV tax calculators on the web for each state that has property tax on vehicles, where you can see the exact amount paid based on value. IOW, the entire bill for registration is not tax deductible, only the amount of the tax based on value.

But after my 160K$ motorhome, I could not deduct that on my other vehicles also because of the 10K$ tax cap for that year.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
A tax.

And yes, it usually does make a difference. A fee is NOT tax deductible, you're paying for a service. A tax is tax deductible on other taxes, such as on our FIT. But only the percentage that is a tax, the part based on value. However, the last few years, I got the shaft on that deal with the $10,000 deducible tax cap. I was way over that. In fact, the year I purchased my new RV, I deducted the sales tax which already hit the 10K$ limit, which meant I could not deduct my property tax on my two houses and other stuff.

There are DMV tax calculators on the web for each state that has property tax on vehicles, where you can see the exact amount paid based on value. IOW, the entire bill for registration is not tax detectable, only the amount of the tax based on value.

But after my 160K$ motorhome, I could not deduct that on my other vehicles also because of the 10K$ tax cap for that year.

-Don- Auburn, CA

The $10k deduction cap is crap indeed.

Yup, them EV here in Florida we have a new Bill Called S-28. Click Here Because they were missing out on Fuel Tax. Florida will soon be charging $200. then up it to $250. for EVs of all types. Until I can fill up, grab a snake, and back on the roadway in 20 to 40 minutes for another 450 miles nonstop with A/C and using other power in my vehicle.

Once went to a rent-a-car and they told me they only had EVs to rent. Not interested and went to another service for a ride.
To me it's nuts, playing with this plug or that plug, 20-minute charge, or 8-hour charge me is a complete joke. I would much more want to play with cattle and hear cow farts than drive an EV.

I'm still waiting for the new parking grades to pop up, a Fire in a condominium parking under the building when they want to permit RV parking. Also in the read were the different handles, a parking PAD will charge your vehicle while parked or driving on the pad. They would make a 5 to 10-mile driving land which will charge while you drive, still have not seen those things pop up.

I'm old school and will wait for the battery-operated airlines. I did read that Texas will have unmanned 18-wheelers. Will be interesting to see how they recharge or refuel without human intervention.

There’s certainly no shortage of fear and doubt regarding EV’s.

Keeping mileage low on ours is going to be a problem, I can tell already. We just did another 800 mile round trip to Idaho.

Trust me00% , if you were addressing my post. There is no fear or 1doubt on my part about EVs in today's world. I think, I very well outlined my knowledge and understanding of EVs of today. Touching on the future of EVs, which I read almost 10 years ago. We're not even close to being here yet, there are no parking lot recharging pads, highway lanes cars getting a full charge in 15 minutes as of today, and most EVs will only get a 60 to 70% charge with a 20% charge. Every 5 to 7 years the battery pack needs to be completely replaced and here is why. All batteries DC and Lithium can go down below 5% State of Charge. The DC battery will never come back fully to 100% after 2 drops. Lithium can be the loss is less, much less. Truly even lithium should not drop below 32% SOC at this point it should be recharged to make them last even longer. The cool thing is they can be charged back up full if you never let them drop below 32%. each time you do the battery takes a hit, called loss. A lithium IO is truly a military-grade battery. You can put a screwdriver in the side of it and it will still show a SOC. We have come a long way in understanding, but we still have a way to go, and being forced is not the answer.
My Greta is a Coachmen Li3, so I have done a lot of homework. But I'm a realist if the car stops on the side of the road who are you going to call and at what cost for a tow? With a fuel vehicle, I can walk to a service station, buy a can back to the van, and I'm on my way. Right Now if I had to buy I would go for a Hybrid 60/40.

An EV battery pack has to be replaced every 5 to 7 years? Amazing.

. Every 5 to 7 years the battery pack needs to be completely replaced and here is why
My six-year-old Tesla battery notices no difference at all from the day it was new. But if it fails soon, fine, it will be replaced by Tesla without it costing me a penny.

Strange that Tesla will give an 8-year warranty on a battery that only lasts 5 to seven years max. Perhaps that's why all the layoffs, they are replacing too many batteries at their own cost!o_O;)

60 to 70% charge with a 20% charge.
o_O???

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
. But I'm a realist if the car stops on the side of the road who are you going to call and at what cost for a tow?
If one knows what they are doing, that will not happen these days.

With Tesla, press a button for their road service.

But there are countless ways to tow or recharge an EV on the road from a standard tow truck, this is year 2024, not 25 years ago. Lots of EVs, especially here in CA. Use a generator or a portable electric fast charger:

1714968161909.png
We can get electricity from gasoline or diesel. But how do you convert electricity into gasoline for your ICE car?

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
View attachment 172833
We can get electricity from gasoline or diesel. But how do you convert electricity into gasoline for your ICE car?

-Don- Auburn, CA
Wait a second... to make sure you don't run out, or at least have enough to get to the next town, you just have to carry a jerry can of gas for your ICE car. With an EV you have to carry an expensive generator and gas to run it!? :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom