Flat towing older CJ5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Johnson

We are new to the RV community and want to flat tow a Jeep CJ5.  Can this be done? Read alot about leaving the manual in gear, what if its an automatic? I've seen them behind RV's on the road, was something special done to accomplish this.

Mike~~ you stated ".... Read alot about leaving the manual in gear,....". does not sound right can you explain?? I do not tow a jeep BUT my toad is in Neutral with steering wheel unlocked.

JM2?  ~~  YMMV

Welcome to The RV Forum!

Flat towing a Jeep is easy as long.as you can put the transfer case in Neutral.  This doesn't apply to your CJ5 but some models have a pushbutton transfer case selector that doesn't allow the transfer case to go into neutral.  A floor mounted lever does allow the transfer case to be put in neutral.

Put the transfer case in Neutral, transmission in gear if it's a manual,  in Park if it's an automatic.  The idea is to keep the engine and transmission from turning while the Jeep is being towed.

Don't forget to add a braking system to the Jeep.  It's heavy enough to require brakes in most states along with and a breakaway system that will apply the brakes if it comes  loose from the tow vehicle.

And obviously make sure hubs are unlocked. I put mine in second gear and transfer case in neutral.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom